1 2 3
Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/1/13 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

That car quit being stock in '01..... By '03, it had a nice 8pt CM rollbar in it....

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/1/13 8:41 p.m.

E30s too.. all the ones around here are getting butchered.. and do not even think about the Nissan S13. I have not seen a non-butchered one that was not a vert in ages

ohms
ohms Reader
9/1/13 10:09 p.m.

how about:

90-92 geo prizm gsi, storm wagon, mint storm gsi

88 nova twin cam

isuzu i-mark rs

nissan/datsun s110, rwd maximas

83-84 5.0 H.O. L69 Z28

first gen ford fiesta

shelby dakota

infiniti m30, m45, and hawaiian blue g20

civic wagovan 4wd, tercel alltrac

any benz 190 with a stick

toyota is300 stick, wagon - hmm, cressidas for that matter

mazda mp3

dj
dj Reader
9/1/13 10:18 p.m.

Without picking any specific cars I'd say it really depends what your definition of decent is. To me bad paintjobs and questionable mods are ok if the price is right and you're willing to put in the work to make everything else right. I am horrified by rust but I'll be more willing to tackle that once I learn welding.

That being said, most anything from the 80's or older will quickly be junked now instead of restored unless it's extremely desirable but even then the derelict examples will be scrapped. If you're looking for something daily driver ready I'd say the very late 80's is pushing it and you'll pay a premium for something that old. I see most the great deals come from buying cars from the early 2000's (BMW 3 series) or late 90's (m3).

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/2/13 8:14 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: E30s too.. all the ones around here are getting butchered.. and do not even think about the Nissan S13. I have not seen a non-butchered one that was not a vert in ages

I do kinda hope that when the time comes to sell my E30, it'll go to someone who will continue to keep it relatively stock and original. I just picked up a set of OE 'is' springs to replace the lowering springs I've never really cared for (looks or ride-wise). It'll still have a few changes that are more difficult to return: M3 LCA bushings, off-set strut mounts and Ireland cat-back, but wouldn't be impossible for the next owner.

I haven't seen a S13 in years - stock or otherwise. I have seen a mid-80's Celica 'vert (I'm not up on the codes - the ones with the flip-up lights) as well as a very original looking 1st gen Supra.

One advantage of my long-ass commute is I see some interesting cars on a regular basis used as daily drivers: the aforementioned Celica and Supra as well as a MGB GT, a late 80's Monte Carlo SS (not the fast-back, tho) and even an old 50's lead-sled hot-rod (a Ford, I think). All kinda surprising considering I live in the NJ/PA rust-belt.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
9/2/13 9:05 a.m.
solfly wrote: In reply to SlickDizzy: CRX

Make mine a CRX SI

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
9/2/13 11:53 a.m.

It seems like I see a lot of the cars that many of you are talking about, but yeah most of them are clapped out- I'm in WA state though. I'll bet most 90's cars and earlier are all but gone around the rust belt. You know what car is really rare? The first generation VW scirrocco. I had a '79 that I bought in '94, and at the time it wasn't hard to find them either. In fact I got to pick and choose until I found a black one. Fun for what it was, and torque-steered less than my '90 CRX which I don't miss.

-Hamid

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
9/2/13 6:13 p.m.

crx

1990 Miata

Last generation MR2 (or any of them)

240Z still undervalued

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lrGyTqT035XiIYyGSECHcby7wjGYcirP2DRA7MPMPz5LjuSzZynGnX9j1ZJlVGEb