1 2 3
lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
1/28/22 8:50 a.m.

Tuna's post was part one. Continuing with the fuzzy screenshot of a video with a car that's near unidentifiable, my friends mailbox was destroyed last night. His ring video caught the carnage, but the quality isn't great overnight. Any guesses to the car? 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/28/22 8:54 a.m.

Taillight swoop looks like a slightly older Cruze to me?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/28/22 9:09 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Yeah, I was thinking slightly older Jetta, but you may be right.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/28/22 9:14 a.m.

Could also be a mid 2000s - early 2010s Corolla, but I think the 1st gen Cruze is a little closer match. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/28/22 9:17 a.m.

Cruze was my first instinct. I also considered the Corolla that rslifkin mentioned, but the headlights don't seem to match the pics 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/28/22 9:21 a.m.

It's too bad this isn't a crime drama.  We could ask the computer to "zoom in" and "enhance" and we could read the plate!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/22 9:25 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

It's too bad this isn't a crime drama.  We could ask the computer to "zoom in" and "enhance" and we could read the plate!

And the computer screen would be 8ft wide. 
It would then only be a few hours before "the crime lab" came out to take tire tread impressions.  The impressions would determine the brand of tire and then "the database" would compare all purchases of those tires that went onto red sedans.  The whole thing solved in less that 1 hour.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/28/22 10:02 a.m.
John Welsh said:
1988RedT2 said:

It would then only be a few hours before "the crime lab" came out to take tire tread impressions.  The impressions would determine the brand of tire and then "the database" would compare all purchases of those tires that went onto red sedans.  The whole thing solved in less that 1 hour.

Looks like we beat the crime lab and had it figured out in just 4 minutes

grover
grover Dork
1/28/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I can actually do that in Lightroom if we really need me to. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/28/22 10:16 a.m.

Looks like a Cruz from the back, but the wheels don't seem right and not sure about the headlights.  Maybe older Optima, but maybe too small....

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/28/22 10:32 a.m.

Usually they leave bits of car behind, that's how I found the lady who creamed my mailbox. Any debris to help?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/28/22 10:38 a.m.
grover said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I can actually do that in Lightroom if we really need me to. 

Can you uncrop?

car39
car39 Dork
1/28/22 10:44 a.m.
John Welsh said:
1988RedT2 said:

Is that before or after they hack the car's GPS and track it?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/22 10:46 a.m.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
1/28/22 10:56 a.m.

I shouldn't be that surprised how good you all are at this, but damn you all are good at this.

recent curb rash, damage to the bumper and hood.

Impressive work ClassicJackets!! 4 minutes after I posted it too. 

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/28/22 10:58 a.m.

Got 'em!!

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/28/22 11:01 a.m.

Why do people hate mailboxes?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

do you have a picture that shows damage?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
1/28/22 11:05 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Not yet. He was driving around the neighborhood looking for cruzes after this direction. Not sure what he's doing at this point, but I'll let you know how it plays out. 

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/28/22 11:22 a.m.

Perfect timing, just had to set up a temp mailbox for my Dad.

Who know Harbor Freight's buckets are actually made in America.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/28/22 11:37 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Not yet. He was driving around the neighborhood looking for cruzes after this direction. Not sure what he's doing at this point, but I'll let you know how it plays out. 

After I found the lady who punted our mailbox I called the cops. Pointed out the car, how it was damaged, how it was now wearing streaks of paint matching my mailbox, and that I'd like to have the the driver pay to fix my mailbox. The cops knocked on the door and the dumbass inside played dead like they weren't home. Cops knocked on the door A LOT, still wouldn't come out. Hell you could SEE the curtains move. So the cops took it down as a "hit and run" and impounded the car from the parking spot. A little while later the lady and her husband come out shouting at each other. Given the damage to the car, that I found her phone sitting on top of the car, and that she was driving on the wrong side of the road I assume she was drunk. The car stayed impounded for a week costing them WAY more than my mailbox ever would have.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/28/22 11:48 a.m.

Good they got caught.

I my car got hit while parell parked on the street. Found who did it, took pics of the paint transfer and plates. (They often parked near me). Cops did zero about it. Told me to call my insurance company.... I buffed it out and moved on.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/28/22 12:50 p.m.

My neighbor's then-boyfriend bent up my mailbox.  Twice (separate occasions).  With his nice, new Harley.  Blamed me for having a mailbox.  

Alcohol may have been involved. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/28/22 12:55 p.m.

NICE!!!

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
1/28/22 1:11 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Good they got caught.

I my car got hit while parell parked on the street. Found who did it, took pics of the paint transfer and plates. (They often parked near me). Cops did zero about it. Told me to call my insurance company.... I buffed it out and moved on.

This could very easily have been a "drive through" house, so it's hard to let it go.

(The parking spots in front of my house are used for overflow parking by the renters across the street, armors the front of my property.... ) 

The rack of 10 - 15 mailboxes on the side yard has been mowed down more than once!

Every time they get hit, I use as an opportunity to move them closer together and out of my way.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vRh2mv2nICd8x7aw3tdTlDxlQa0BbBr9VepOac0HFIXfOArpvSb0xN464IwRHY3a