1 2 3
golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/4/23 12:40 p.m.
Ultimasanctus said:

In reply to golfduke :

Did you ever get this all together? I'm looking at sprinkling in some more power to the 4.8 in my truck without spending too much

The motor is back together, but I'm still waiting on the right donor shell to come along.  This was always a long-game project for me, but it's pretty much ready and waiting.  I even found a T56 for 'I didn't have to sell a kidney' pricing a few months back. 

FWIW, I went with the above Summit cam, LS6 valvetrain, LS2 chain/gears and a ghetto port job on my 706 heads, shaved .030" by a buddy with equipment, stock gaskets.  That should put me ~10.5:1 compression and somewhat safe on 93 octane adn witha  few hundred extra rpms up top.  But again, this hasn't run yet, so I can't tell you for sure if it was worth it.  All in though, I'm well under $1000 for the whole package, including the engine cost. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/4/23 1:18 p.m.

Timing on this thread bump is interesting because I am looking into reblocking a Gen 4 4.8 with an aluminum 5.3 block, using an inappropriate cam and a single plane intake/Holley carburetor setup, mostly because I have never driven an injected V8 that was as responsive as a carbureted one

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/4/23 1:33 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Timing on this thread bump is interesting because I am looking into reblocking a Gen 4 4.8 with an aluminum 5.3 block, using an inappropriate cam and a single plane intake/Holley carburetor setup, mostly because I have never driven an injected V8 that was as responsive as a carbureted one

Man, I respect the hell out of that, but carbs are still black magic to me, haha.  hpTuners?  Yup.  Floats and needles and mechanical doodads?  HELP! 

Side note and semi-related-  If anyone knows of a line on a relatively straight amazon, 2002, or Zcar roller for non BaT prices, I'm all ears.  this thing needs a home.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/4/23 1:53 p.m.
golfduke said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Man, I respect the hell out of that, but carbs are still black magic to me, haha.  hpTuners?  Yup.  Floats and needles and mechanical doodads?  HELP! 

Side note and semi-related-  If anyone knows of a line on a relatively straight amazon, 2002, or Zcar roller for non BaT prices, I'm all ears.  this thing needs a home.  

Funny you mention this...I've been toying with the idea of an LS swap into an Amazon for awhile now. I have several potential candidates; the one I most want to do is a wagon with a 4L60E so Mrs VCH can drive it. 

My big question is...how do I get the electronics to all play nice?  I'd be tempted (strongly) to just toss a carb on it, but the 4L60E would still need some sort of electronics. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/4/23 3:06 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Pete, can all the Gen4 4.8L internal bits bolt into a 6.2 block to create a 5.6L rev motor? You would need pistons to suit. I'm pretty sure you can do that with a Gen3 6.0L. Saw this a few minutes ago and wondered.....Marketplace - 2011 6.2L LS BLOCK | Facebook

obsolete
obsolete Dork
10/4/23 4:14 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Pete, can all the Gen4 4.8L internal bits bolt into a 6.2 block to create a 5.6L rev motor? You would need pistons to suit. I'm pretty sure you can do that with a Gen3 6.0L. Saw this a few minutes ago and wondered.....Marketplace - 2011 6.2L LS BLOCK | Facebook

A buddy of mine built a Gen 3 6.0L with 4.8L crank and rods to create a 330something ci destroker. It works, but he had to have mallory metal added to the crank to balance it out.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/4/23 4:21 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

I know the Nelsons did something similar and then turbocharged the living daylights out of it. Made just over 1000 RWHP. I would think the same could be done with the Gen4 engines, but I don't know for sure. I didn't consider the balance issue caused by larger pistons.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/4/23 4:36 p.m.

I would not want to shoehorn a LSX into the Amazon engine bay. I know that it's been done, but boy that would be tight. In fact,  there was a partially complete swap for sale near me recently. The guy had done a lot of good work, but there was still much more to do. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/4/23 5:47 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I am 99.9% certain that all engines except the 7 liter have the same piston pin height.  So you would use 6.3" rods and the stock pistons.

Note that the main reason I am interested in the 4.8 is the crank should be lighter than a 5.3 crank.  Certainly there should be less windage.

One of the bigger consternations is the flywheel pattern is different from SBC.  Part of my plan was an eBay used 5.5" circle track clutch and a flexplate, for max response.  Yes you can get them for an LS but not for $300-400.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/4/23 7:39 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
golfduke said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Funny you mention this...I've been toying with the idea of an LS swap into an Amazon for awhile now. I have several potential candidates; the one I most want to do is a wagon with a 4L60E so Mrs VCH can drive it. 

My big question is...how do I get the electronics to all play nice?  I'd be tempted (strongly) to just toss a carb on it, but the 4L60E would still need some sort of electronics. 

Funny that this thread should come around on the piano; it applies to my past, my present and my future.

About 8 years ago the plan was to stuff an Ls into a Volvo Amazon. Still have the concept on the wall.

The Amazon is not an easy car to swap a V shaped engine into. Actually not easy to swap  in ANY engine because of the weird firewall, the steering shaft, steering linkage and massive front cross member. If I were to revisit, I would do a tube frame front clip with a rack and pinion and a 2 speed powerglide gearbox. The Tupperware hot-rod is running around with a powerglide behind the 5.3 and is one of the highlights of the driving experience.

As to my present and my future, there is this thing lurking in the shop. Seems like I accidentally built a 5.3 L33.  Not a junkyard build since I replaced pretty much every moving part.  The goal was to keep it as stock as possible.  Total investment is about $3500 Usd. NO IDEA what to do with  it other than maybe an overachieving margarita blender.  

I am aware of one swap that is running the MSD box and a carb intake. The gearbox is a Turbo 350 and the whole thing works a charm.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
10/5/23 4:23 a.m.

I know I'm really late to this party, but Richard Holdener on YouTube has a series on LS engines, from 4.8 to 500ci.  He covers the HP gains from intakes, cams and heads on each displacement, with several different brand products. 

https://youtube.com/@richardholdener1727?si=MhKbk142m9-rq-6a

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o6pAhExTWKSFTlX48o7w94BP1ybnklfVmGgLvdKoozEJ7rMcfUJTnPmXjzWdIKhY