Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/24 2:57 p.m.

Murdercycle 2.0 is a 2009 Suzuki TU250x. Being an old MSF course bike, they pulled the lights, because noviceriders like to drop bikes, and crush them. 

Thankfully, the mechanics unplugged the 4 turn signals. Used replacements on Ebay are pushing $50 a light. Homie ain't playin that. I bought 4 generics. The lights had basic bullet connectors.

The internet can find everything about anything. But no one know what the connector style is. I've found a few Suzuki "compatible" connectors, and one from Bikemaster that looks like it fits, but nobody can confirm if they fit.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/29/24 3:22 p.m.

Cut and repin? Seems like a huge needle haystack search, especially given it's a bike.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie Reader
6/29/24 3:34 p.m.

2 pin Mitsubishi UC .040 Male Turn Signal Connector

looks very simular..

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
6/29/24 3:36 p.m.

My guess is Mitsubishi UC (ultra compact) https://www.cycleterminal.com/mitsubishi-uc.html

For all other types here's another good resource: https://www.corsa-technic.com/index.php

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/29/24 3:36 p.m.

I know nothing about motorcycles but a local lead.  Just down the street from my M-I-L's old house, two brothers, now in their 30's have been parting out motorcycles for more than 15 years.  They seem to sell mostly through ebay under the name of Mike's Motorcycles.  They currently have 140,000+ active listings on ebay.  

Mike Bores (pronounced Boris)  This seems to be an old FB page of theirs.  It might at least be good for a phone number if you want to try to talk to them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/24 5:15 p.m.

Do these look like Mitsu UC. connectors?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/29/24 5:49 p.m.

Have you checked any of the online Suzuki parts sellers?  I looked at this one, but I'm guessing the factory didn't sell individual connectors...they may want to sell you the whole  wiring harness.  https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b6697f8700235b8769732/wiring-harness

Another option is trying a motorcycle salvage yard.  Sport Wheels in Minnesota is one of the biggest ones around. https://www.sportwheel.com

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/29/24 6:01 p.m.

Looks to me like a job for a pair of 2 wire trailer connectors.  They are sold as a short harness with both ends, you cut it in the middle and splice it in.

If you want to be sleazy about it, but not so sleazy as to just cut the connectors off and hardwire it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
6/29/24 7:14 p.m.

This is a lot like the "who puts a shopping cart back" test.

1. Some folks want the correct connector and will take the effort to source it.
  2. Some folks will bodge any ol connector in there.
  3. Some will just cut it and wire nut it.

You want to buy cars from the first type.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/30/24 2:39 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Well, sure, if the connectors can be identified, and if they're available, and if they aren't too expensive, and if the person isn't in a hurry. For others, they just want to get on with things and may use a substitute - I understand, been there done that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/24 3:07 p.m.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger On those adapters that I posted pictures of. The measurements they give spec out exactly to the connectors on the bike.

But without all your help, I'd still be just as lost, eyeballing bullet connectors at Vatozone .

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/30/24 3:31 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

This is a lot like the "who puts a shopping cart back" test.

1. Some folks want the correct connector and will take the effort to source it.
  2. Some folks will bodge any ol connector in there.
  3. Some will just cut it and wire nut it.

You want to buy cars from the first type.  

Are you keeping the device forever or are you caretaking it for the next person?

And do you have time to do option 1.

Option 1 is better but it can lead to project paralysis as one fixates on One Certain Thing.

The shopping cart analogy is a good one, but at the same time, it's not your shopping cart, you're just caretaking it for the next person.

My personal belief for cars is that it's yours forever, so the only person you have to worry about is Future You.  We've already established that the correct part is not viable due to expense, so where on the sliding scale is acceptable?  And that is a question that can only be answered by the vehicle owner in question.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/30/24 4:33 p.m.

The signals are already being replaced with generic substitutes.  At what point does the originality of the unseen connectors on an MSF Suzuki TU250x become an issue?

Slap some crimp on bullet connectors on there to match the new signals, and be done with it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/30/24 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

Personally, I'd use a different type of connector, but either save the old connectors somewhere safe, or solder the new in behind the original connector, leaving the original in place, in case the correct turn signals came up for $cheap.

When I was doing the mechanical restoration on my '81 RX-7, the wipers weren't working because the white plastic connector for the motor had biodegraded. Crumbled like plastic insulation fluff if you touched it or looked at it or even thought about it too hard.  So I hardwired it.  Eliminated a potential voltage drop point, and if it screws over Future Me, well, Future Me has never once done anything for me, why should I help him? smiley

Past Me, however... he's a berking a-hole and sometimes I wish I could throttle him...

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/30/24 6:15 p.m.

I just remember my first motorcycle, a used 1974 Honda MT125.   It was used as an offroad bike, so the turn signals came with the bike in a box.

And the factory wiring connection on those turn signals was?

A bullet connector.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/24 7:47 p.m.

Dude, crack open a Honda made well into this century. You'll still see... bullet connectors.  laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/24 7:53 p.m.

My concern is that down the road, I do want to use factory lights. Take my time and get them at prices I think are reasonable, not the OMGWTFBBQ I need them right now prices. I really dont want to undo hacks, especially ones by that tool I see in the mirror.

If it was an old bike, with the functional hack already done, I wouldn't think twice about non-OEM connections.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/30/24 8:22 p.m.

I'm sensing a subtext that using anything but OEM means they aren't as good. No, there are plenty of high quality connectors out there, any of which would work perfectly well. The only situation where non-OEM connectors can be an issue is if the entire harness must be replaced. A compromise: get something in there to make it work now, and meanwhile, start watching eBay for the exact connectors. Not rushing to find something virtually guarantees saving money.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
7/1/24 10:33 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

When I was doing the mechanical restoration on my '81 RX-7, the wipers weren't working because the white plastic connector for the motor had biodegraded. Crumbled like plastic insulation fluff if you touched it or looked at it or even thought about it too hard.  So I hardwired it.  Eliminated a potential voltage drop point, and if it screws over Future Me, well, Future Me has never once done anything for me, why should I help him? smiley

Getting off topic, but same deal with my RX-7. I got the right connector off Corsa Technic and the old one decayed to the point where I could de-pin it without tools.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/24 4:15 a.m.

And...the ones I said I'd buy, I bought.  And they are perfect. I didn't even have to solder the lights in, the bullet connectors fit into the adapters. WOOT!

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/9/24 5:13 a.m.

Nice!

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
7/9/24 11:55 a.m.

Congratulations

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yeNz8robDT2LtFaee7m6vPo5sn1smMg1sUI3y9Pj2y2ebuSvtfs4ceeNKLTCILS0