1 2 3
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/17/20 11:52 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I've avoided a number of controversial topics lately but I cannot longer stay quiet.  The numbers belong in the center of the door where God and Richard Petty put them. 

Are these two different people? 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/17/20 11:58 a.m.

In reply to drock25too :

I used to race a stock car that was number 1X. My brother in law joked that, back in his day, that would have been the 9 car.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 11:59 a.m.

Can I just say I actually like having them centered and consistent? Since NASCAR spends a lot of time bunched up really close, the uniformity of the numbers is cool and looks good. 

BTW, inching your number forward could make your car look like it was further ahead than it really is, which could be a tangible advantage (check out 10 vs 18). A team should DEFINITELY NOT move the number toward the rear wheel. Also note that a smart advertiser would turn their hood graphics by 90 degrees. Notice how much better the over the rear wheel space is (all 6 cars workin it) than the hood space (only 3 of the cars having recognizable graphics), even though the hood space is huge. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/17/20 12:27 p.m.

Works fine for me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/20 1:01 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

go figure that NASCAR would bias their numbers backwards

I thought those were for Porsche 911s?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/17/20 1:22 p.m.

I get why NASCAR is doing it, and I actually don't mind it. I thought it would look bad, but it's actually fine.

Die-hard fans might be annoyed by it, but then again, if the next-gen car with carbon fiber pieces and single-lug wheels doesn't drive them off, this won't either.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/17/20 1:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
feature_image

Pro racer (and nice guy) Andy Lally makes a good point via Twitter: Are offset numbers too ugly and off-balanced?

What’s your take when it comes to numbers on race cars: simply on the doors or tucked in somewhere else? Let us know in the comments below.

Read the rest of the story

I like it. It looks "balanced." Symmetry is boring. I bet you could throw a golden rectangle on there and make everything line right up.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/17/20 2:14 p.m.

I do not have strong, or even mild, feelings on this subject. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/17/20 2:23 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 6:49 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

The wheels and body material are not as glaringly obvious as the number in the wrong spot. Part of the problem is the lack of contingency sponsors leaving that blank spot behind the front wheel. There should be a dozen or so small stickers there, then the number, then team sponsors after that.  

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/17/20 6:56 p.m.

Offset forward looks much better than offset toward the rear of the car

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
6/17/20 7:55 p.m.

Gimmick.  Just like "stage racing" and the "lucky dog" getting back on the lead lap.

NASCAR has been throwing ideas against the wall for eleven years trying to get people to come back.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/17/20 8:02 p.m.

Man covid isolation has brought out some great conversations cheeky.

I did have to show this to my wife who's in graphic design and marketing. She actually had to design the Nascar layout for her past company. Honestly this could have been a transcript from some of the meetings she's been in. She's really tempted to reply to some of you herself right now lol.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/20 8:20 p.m.

Related question: Is NASCAR the last top-level series that still allows non-standardized numbers? Pretty much everyone else has gone to series-mandated number panels and electronic displays, haven't they?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/17/20 8:30 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I've avoided a number of controversial topics lately but I cannot longer stay quiet.  The numbers belong in the center of the door where God and Richard Petty put them. 

I'm with Wally.  They should be in the center of the door, preferably in the middle of a round white meatball.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
6/17/20 8:40 p.m.

From an aesthetic/design standpoint I think it looks better personally. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/17/20 9:01 p.m.

Numbers at the rear is pretty common in dirt racing

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/17/20 9:04 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

NASCAR, and most other circle track series seem to be the only place to still allow a lot of freedom with numbers to be a part of the graphic design. I think they look better when they are a integrated into the scheme instead of generic peel and stick numbers. 

superfund
superfund New Reader
6/17/20 9:05 p.m.

The placement of the numbers is the least offensive part of that design. I think some cars could look really good like that. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/17/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

Where are they so I can send an angry letter?  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  I know ASA did it briefly but quickly changed back to normal. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
6/17/20 9:16 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Pro racer (and nice guy) Andy Lally voiced an opinion about something that really doesn't matter, especially since he doesn't even own the car.

That's kind of how I feel about it. It isn't my car, so I don't care. If the numbers meet the rules of the series in regards to placement, the Team Owner can make their livery look however they want. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/17/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

A lot of people don't realize how hard it is to make a good looking race car. When we got a sponsor and hired a designer it made a huge difference in our cars. 

Amateurs: 

Pro:

MotorsportsGordon
6/17/20 9:25 p.m.

MotorsportsGordon
6/17/20 9:26 p.m.

Dale Earnhardt jr first late model

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 9:32 p.m.