3 4 5 6
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/23 9:36 a.m.

I’d love to see my dad’s first car but, if I correctly remember the story, my grandma sent it to the great salvage yard in the sky: 1956 Chevy 150 sedan in black. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/10/23 11:22 a.m.

Still have my first car, 1991 318is. Unfortunately it's been without an engine, neglected in my driveway for the last 4 years or so. Really need to get it back on the road... 

I actually still have the sweat pants I'm wearing in this picture, too. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/10/23 1:03 p.m.

Yes, I would. I'd like to buy the version before my wife stuck it under the back end of a truck though. 

Manual Equipped G-Body: 1980 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon | Barn Finds

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/10/23 1:06 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Yes, I would. I'd like to buy the version before my wife stuck it under the back end of a truck though. 

Manual Equipped G-Body: 1980 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon | Barn Finds

One of those in white was very nearly my first car.

I still kick myself for not buying it because I was scared of a lifter tick in a rust free G body wagon.  Even in 1995 that was hard to find.  They were known for the rear frame horns just sort of falling off.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/10/23 1:30 p.m.

Yes, I would.  The problem is, I probably couldn't justify paying enough to buy a decent example of a 1973 Mazda RX-2 today, knowing that it cost $500 when I bought it.

Turbine
Turbine Reader
8/10/23 2:02 p.m.

If I could get this thing back for the same $1000 I paid for it back in 2011, I would in a heartbeat lol I had so much stupid fun in this car

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/23 2:19 p.m.

Depends a bit on what I consider my first car.

My first car was supposed to be my mom's '71 Dodge Demon and I worked on it in order to get it running. I honestly don't really remember why we didn't finish that process - my parents getting divorced and moving probably had soemthing to do with it.  I would absolutely want to have that car back and I still occasionally look for a '71 Demon with a slant 6... 

First car was technically a '71 Mercury Comet that I drove for a few months before our inspection mechanic wouldn't pass it due to structural rust.  Neat car, but I wouldn't want it again.

First car I drove for significant miles was an 1982 Subaru GL 4WD wagon.  4 spd manual, dual-range 4WD, the cool wagon wheels, and rust... everywhere.  Still... I loved that little car and if it had a 5 spd and A/C, I might still be driving it. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/14/23 9:10 a.m.

I absolutely would. I was a broke college kid in a 1987 Supra that was costing me quite a bit and I foolishly sold it. I'd have just repaired the rust slowly and kept it. They're worth a lot now and I have so many fond memories in that car.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
8/14/23 11:24 a.m.

Yeah I would take my first car back in a heartbeat. It wasn't perfect and when I sold it it was starting to get some rust again but today me would fix it and have a nice cruiser. I sold it because I had bought 2 other cars like a normal dumb college student and something had to go, I absolutely picked the wrong one. 
My godfather and I spent late nights in his shop for most of the summer when I was 16 fixing the rust and painting it the first time. I wish I could share that experience with my kids on another round now. 

preach
preach SuperDork
8/14/23 5:42 p.m.

Duster Bad and Might be a Westfalia...you have a DM. I believe it will attest to my story. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
8/15/23 4:49 p.m.

My first car was a 1995 Mercury Mystique.  I can live without that one.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 Reader
8/16/23 11:24 a.m.

My first car was a 1991 Geo Storm. Between my brother and I, I'm pretty sure we broke just about everything that could be broken on that car- fond memories, but I suspect that particular car wasn't part of the equation. I would have zero interest in buying it back. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/16/23 11:40 a.m.

No - it was a Sunbeam Imp that didn't have enough torque to start up on our hills. Nor the second one, a Cortina, but the third one was a 1968 Toyota Corolla - the first Japanese car that came over here in any numbers and it was a good car.

I still own my fourth car, a 1958 MGA that I ended up racing for 20 years, and another MGA, a 62 coupe that I restored later in the 70s.

octavious
octavious Dork
8/17/23 10:28 p.m.

No.  1979 MB 240d my grandparents bought new and gave to me for my HS graduation in 1996. I had never turned a wrench on anything. After you let the glow plug light go out (which seemed like forever) it would start and run, but it couldn't get out of its way to save its own life. 0-60 time was a calendar.   It died 7 months after I got it, probably for some random MB part I didn't know about. I sold it to a doctor for a parts car for his 300d.  I secretly believe it is still alive and running in FL somewhere. 

However, I will never forget the interior smell or the floor mats. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/17/23 10:44 p.m.

99 Lumina handed down from my grandpa. It had the 3.8 so it was decently quick and comfortable.

But no.

nlevine
nlevine Reader
8/18/23 8:33 p.m.

First car, no. It was a '75 BMW 2002 and if I knew then what I know now about those cars, I never would have bought it in the place (rust, cooling issues, more rust). My 4th car ('71 2002), maybe. My 6th and 7th cars ('85 Audi 4000s Quattro and '87 Honda CRX Si), yes, in a heartbeat.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
8/19/23 9:37 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

When I parted with it?  Hell no.  It was rusty and had a blown engine.  Junkyard gave me $25 and I probably got the better end of the deal.

When I bought it?  Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.  No idea what I'd do with it or where I'd park it, but absolutely.

(Not mine but very similar - dark green paint and roof, color 4Q)

I swapped the wire wheel covers for dog dishes, slapped some 245/60 Eagle STs on it, lowered the front one coil, and it was just about perfect.

Looks like it came out of a movie.  One where they wore sports coats with turtle necks, smoked and slapped around women a lot.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/17/23 2:08 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

When I parted with it?  Hell no.  It was rusty and had a blown engine.  Junkyard gave me $25 and I probably got the better end of the deal.

When I bought it?  Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.  No idea what I'd do with it or where I'd park it, but absolutely.

I swapped the wire wheel covers for dog dishes, slapped some 245/60 Eagle STs on it, lowered the front one coil, and it was just about perfect.

And it looked just like this one

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
11/17/23 9:03 a.m.

No, because its still sitting in my garage.  It needs a restoration, 64 Spitfires don't hold up well to Ohio winters and young kids that don't know much.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
11/17/23 10:22 a.m.

I still own mine, a 91 Ranger with all the options of that year. Not as cool as some of the first cars here but since I was working in construction I needed a truck.

Actually if you take out the years it sat because of a starting problem that I eventually fixed I've driven it almost the whole time up until 2 years ago. It has a fueling issue and I needed a full sized truck so I bought the k1500. 

I'll get it going when I have the time ( which is never)

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
11/17/23 10:54 a.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

If that's what it took to keep it in the family, I would buy it back. My brother currently has it, so it's safe for now.

My first car was a 91 Mustang GT I bought off of my dad (he was the second owner when he bought it in 96. 

I don't have a strong desire to get it back because in spite of the fact I owned it about 10 years longer than he did, it still always felt like it was dads car, not my own. I miss my Focus ST more than I miss the GT. 

Curiously enough, not long after posting this my brother contacted me, and I bought it back. So far feels more like my car than my dads, so high hopes this time around 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/17/23 11:22 a.m.

Yes, I know the guy I sold it to in 2004 still has it. My dad and I bought it in Moberly Mo in 1992 off the back lot of a Chrysler dealer for $250. Blown slant 6 which I replaced with one from a duster in the local junkyard. This is about 1994

it was white with an orange roof originally but the style side was rotted out so I found the step side for sale locally and primed everything. It stayed in primer the rest of the time I had it although it had multiple power plants from a turbo 225 to a 392 to a 383. When I sold it it had a 318 from a police diplomat, 727 and the Dana rear end from my warlock. It was sooo much fun.

it was replaced by this red one in the background of my gran fury and mustang taken around 2000(?)

I found these pictures today and this popped back up

RBCA
RBCA New Reader
11/17/23 1:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Nice mullet Macgyver *ducks*

As the Jesus-sandaled waif in the foreground and the source of this photograph, I’d like to say this is Pete embarking on his first big road trip, Cleveland to Mackinac Island, June 1997. While taking this picture, my mom was loudly and passive aggressively insinuating we’d end up dead on the side of the highway. Moments before, my dad had discreetly slipped me a brand new AAA card. Out of spite we made it up there in one piece if you don’t count Pete’s first speeding ticket.

Would I buy back my first car? Sure I’d shell out fifty three cents or trade you some Arby’s coupons to park that clapped out rust bucket in my driveway as a theft deterrent. Nothing worth stealing in THIS house obvs

That Delta 88 in the garage was fun to drive though

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/17/23 6:59 p.m.

Absolutely. My first car was a 73 Camaro RS.  Me and pops built a 350, put quarters on it and painted it.  It wasn't the best engine,  paint, etc but it was rad.  I was the only kid at school with a street beast.  There were a few chevelles and novas but mine was the only 4 speed with 4.10 gears, 4 speed, and the most redneck central Florida trailer park cam just so people knew it wasn't stock lol.  I don't have any pics because that was before the digital age but it looked like this one except mine had 10" wide vette rallys on it all the way around for maximum autox with what were probably 600 treadwear tires lol.  There was a fad where everyone was getting 67-72 Chevy trucks and my dumbass traded it for one.  It was super nice orange and white but looking back the camaro was way cooler.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/17/23 7:25 p.m.
RBCA said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Nice mullet Macgyver *ducks*

As the Jesus-sandaled waif in the foreground and the source of this photograph, I’d like to say this is Pete embarking on his first big road trip, Cleveland to Mackinac Island, June 1997. While taking this picture, my mom was loudly and passive aggressively insinuating we’d end up dead on the side of the highway. Moments before, my dad had discreetly slipped me a brand new AAA card. Out of spite we made it up there in one piece if you don’t count Pete’s first speeding ticket.

Would I buy back my first car? Sure I’d shell out fifty three cents or trade you some Arby’s coupons to park that clapped out rust bucket in my driveway as a theft deterrent. Nothing worth stealing in THIS house obvs

That Delta 88 in the garage was fun to drive though

Not pictured: the beloved Fairmont wagon.

For the readers: picture an early Fairmont, optioned with nothing.  It had bench seats.  Someone who was four foot eleven and a half was driving.  Someone who was 6'5 was in the passenger side.

It was not comfortable

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GWpoQ4wpo5dtl1TJyQtv7D18orM4onHSzpK0HoeUKp5aTLuikEKizO6vG29NFZhe