outasite
outasite HalfDork
9/26/24 3:16 p.m.

Contemplating selling 99 NB with 65000 well maintained miles and purchasing a 2018 MX5 Grand Touring. Any thoughts from the hive? Thanks

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/26/24 3:26 p.m.

I had a 99 Miata when the NC was released. I hated the NC in every way. Too big, too ugly, too heavy and soft. then got a 2013 NC and LOVED it. loved the look. loved the extra room. I haven't driven a ND yet, but I bet it is way better than your NB and I bet you will quickly forget about the old car.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
9/26/24 3:37 p.m.

Do you want a newer faster car? If the answer is yes then I'd get it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/26/24 3:55 p.m.

The only potential downside could be repair costs, being a modern car with super-expensive headlights/taillights, way more airbags, and explosive pretensioners.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
9/26/24 4:14 p.m.

Drive one and I think you'll know the answer to your question. The ND is freaking awesome.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/26/24 4:15 p.m.

Last year I went from a 128K 1999 NB to a 2019 ND-RF. Absolutely a better car, but I'd suggest you look for a 2019 or newer just to get the ND2 updates. Aside from that , you'll like the ND1. I would suggest trying it on for size first , because I find my ND less roomy than my NB. Other Miata owning friends haven't noticed that to the extent I have though.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
9/26/24 5:04 p.m.

The ND is great! Same weight (basically) as the NA, way more power, and super fun suspension. I think I remember hearing that they bored holes in the window glass (below where you see it) to make the car lighter. You may walk away from your drive of an ND thinking it was, dare I say, kind of fast.

One thing I haven't figured out is which ND is the best ND. Bare bones or loaded-up grand touring? Somewhere in between?

Toot
Toot Reader
9/26/24 5:32 p.m.

I still love my 94 na but everyone that drives my nd loves it even the people who hated Miata's want to drive it every chance they can.  You can't go wrong with any nd even with a stock engine.  

outasite
outasite HalfDork
9/26/24 5:42 p.m.

I drove it and found it better in many ways, Going from analog to digital in a MX5 is the major concern. I have a 2024 CX5, so I have adjusted to that. However, I am 77 and like the old school functions and systems. I DO NOT like the cup holder placement, my elbow wants that space. Although, I drove the NB 10 years with out need for one.

Thanks for the input

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/26/24 6:04 p.m.

In reply to outasite :

You can move one cupholder forward on the transmission tunnel. I'm 72 and I have yet to figure out everything that screen does....I don't care.....as long as it goes when I push the button I'm good.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/26/24 6:16 p.m.

Make sure you give a 2019 a try before committing to the 2018.  The engine upgrades are quite nice, as is the suspension retune.    I have a 2021 RF and I love it.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/26/24 6:35 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Last year I went from a 128K 1999 NB to a 2019 ND-RF. Absolutely a better car, but I'd suggest you look for a 2019 or newer just to get the ND2 updates. Aside from that , you'll like the ND1. I would suggest trying it on for size first , because I find my ND less roomy than my NB. Other Miata owning friends haven't noticed that to the extent I have though.

The ND is such good car, but as mentioned above, be sure to "try it on for size," especially if you have a passenger.  That side of the car was the deal breaker for me/us.

But from the driver's side it felt sublime, and the operation of that soft top...perfection, if you're looking at that.  Or, the RF top is also a nice bit of engineering, too.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/26/24 10:53 p.m.

I'm going to be codriving a 2021 this weekend. Can't wait!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxN2KnEYG8haAeRSzUnYQvpXOhUrZgxBSuBEJJirct25b5CtEnW4eUhgmk6kb8Bf