4 5 6 7
Magfiend
Magfiend New Reader
2/17/24 6:15 p.m.

Any thoughts on this? 14x5.5, 5 on 5" pattern, appear to be magnesium and the center has that unique dished profile that cuts off the inner ends of each spoke. The back side shows that the center flange is solid. Also, the valve stem hole is on a raised rectangular pad. If anyone can confirm the brand I'd love to know if any other sizes were available as well...

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/17/24 7:25 p.m.

This summer I rounded up all my minilite style wheels to decide which I needed to move on. Not shown are 17" mini S-lites and some 14X5 westerns.

I decided the 15" Panasports were the keepers and sold off the rest. 

BTW I did weigh an S lite without a tire. 21.7lbs. While not feathers, they are less than 1lb more than the "lighter" BBS wheels on my R55 and definitely not the super heavy things they have the reputation for being. It was the runflats people!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/24 8:01 p.m.

Love seeing this thread bumped up. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/18/24 8:27 a.m.

I had completely forgotten about this thread!

Here's some Minilites on my Capri...

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/18/24 11:41 a.m.
Rodan said:

I had completely forgotten about this thread!

Here's some Minilites on my Capri...

Oof

David S. Wallens
2/19/24 1:34 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Totally. Oof.

More details about the car?

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/19/24 5:19 p.m.

Thanks, guys!

All the gory details start on pg5 of my Capri thread:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/mk1-ford-capri-recapturing-the-dreams-of-my-youth/183641/page5/

Basically, I bought a different Capri that needs a ground up (still have it), and then stumbled onto this one.  Short version is that it's been a race car since the late 90's, and currently has a Cosworth YBM 2.0L.  It's been languishing somewhat, because I'm in the middle of K24 swapping our Miata race car.  Once I finish that, it needs some love to be track ready, at which point I plan to hit some vintage events with it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/19/24 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Oh. My. 

Is that a dry sump pump I see, too?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/19/24 6:34 p.m.
Magfiend said:

Any thoughts on this? 14x5.5, 5 on 5" pattern, appear to be magnesium and the center has that unique dished profile that cuts off the inner ends of each spoke. The back side shows that the center flange is solid. Also, the valve stem hole is on a raised rectangular pad. If anyone can confirm the brand I'd love to know if any other sizes were available as well...

They appear to be original Minilites.  They were available in numerous sizes from the 60's. 

Rodan - that Capri looks awesome!

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/19/24 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Good eye.  It is indeed.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
2/19/24 8:10 p.m.

The 914-6 gt that raced in the Daytona 24 had mini lites on the rear because there were no Fuchs in the 15x10 fitment they needed. 

David S. Wallens
2/20/24 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Okay, mismatched wheels. Done right, as with that 914-6, it’s the perfect attitude.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
2/20/24 2:02 p.m.

It was interesting that the magnesium Campagnolo mags from my Lamborghini Islero S also used the same splines as the British cars (the small ones, not the larger Jaguar pattern).

On the Islero:

Test fitted to my MGC (obviously the rubber is too wide):

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/6/24 5:27 p.m.

My MINI on it's 16" Rotas.....I'm getting a 17" set , black with polished rims, this evening. Love these wheels. We'll have three sets of them in 15". 16" and 17".

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 6:50 p.m.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
3/7/24 9:52 p.m.
4bangin said:

That looks good; and I like the Olds grill!

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/12/24 11:28 a.m.

Just bought these for my MGB Sebring project. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/12/24 2:16 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Ooooo!! Nice!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/12/24 2:18 p.m.

Wondered how my Rota RBs (for my MINI) would look on a modern looking Miata ND. Not bolted on because they won't clear the Wilwood 6 pot calipers on the front. I think they would look OK though......

May be an image of car

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
3/18/24 6:40 p.m.

Finally have something to contribute to this thread. Genuine Minilites in 16" for my R53. 

I found them on CL today for $200, was hoping for some 15s but tire selection is better in 16" anyway. After work I made a quick trip to Dayton to a place I never knew existed, the British Transportation Museum. It was a warehouse full of british and other cars in various states of repair and restoration. I could have spent all night looking at stuff in the first room alone but the seller was nice enough to stay late for me so I loaded up quick and hit the road. I will definitely be back on a weekend to take it all in. There were a few guys still milling around and they gave me a number to call for a full tour anytime. 

https://www.britishtransportationmuseum.org/

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
3/19/24 1:12 p.m.

Before: all black, not my preferred color combo.

After: nice 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
3/19/24 11:47 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

My MINI on it's 16" Rotas.....I'm getting a 17" set , black with polished rims, this evening. Love these wheels. We'll have three sets of them in 15". 16" and 17".

Very nice! I have the same Rotas in the same size on my AW11, purchased secondhand from a MINI owner, though mine are looking a little worse for wear. So is the rest of the car, really. So am I.

David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Okay, mismatched wheels. Done right, as with that 914-6, it’s the perfect attitude.

Prior to the Rotas above, I had mismatched wheels on the MR2.  Rear are Kei Office Modia, front are Watanabe RS-8, both in 15x6.5.  I didn't set out to mismatch it, and would love to find a wider pair of RS-8s for the rear if they didn't cost a squillion dollars, but I didn't hate this look.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
3/20/24 12:00 a.m.

That poor old MR2 has been here for 20 years.  Prior to that, I had an AE86 with 15" Carroll Shelby Anacondas.  Pardon the image quality here.  First was natural cast spokes with a polished lip:

Then they got some gunmetal rattlecan (Duplicolor?) wheel paint:

I still have one of these wheels, cracked through the center across two lug nut holes due to youthful exuberance.  Not safe for the road, but plenty safe to hang a garden hose on.

So what's the opinion of these wheels on a replica Cobra? I really like it, it's a look that you don't often or ever see. Carroll Shelby wheels on a Cobra, seems right to me. 

David S. Wallens
4/3/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

I like. 

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JIKVzQ9Sn7wFydEwXs7QXHigZLvUgXhjRnR3G3O6mlIEZ07eUxAryLQJiM1fZNAX