Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
11/21/08 7:49 p.m.

More bad news for Detroit. Mistubishi leaving the 2009 Detroit auto show along with Rolls-Royce, Land Rover, Ferrari and Suzuki. Autoweel link:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081121/FREE/811219995

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
11/22/08 7:37 a.m.

Suzuki makes cars?

Seriously, having Mitsubishi pull out of the Detroit Auto Show may not be all that bad a thing for Detroit. I've been wondering how long they will be able to keep a presence in the US at all.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
11/22/08 2:35 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Suzuki makes cars? Seriously, having Mitsubishi pull out of the Detroit Auto Show may not be all that bad a thing for Detroit. I've been wondering how long they will be able to keep a presence in the US at all.

Suzuki showed this last year in Detroit,
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/auto_shows/2007_frankfurt_iaa_auto_show_auto_shows/also_appearing/suzuki_sx4_wrc_car_auto_shows

not available here of course but we can always hope. Also it was always nice to see the Evo up close.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/22/08 3:22 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: Suzuki makes cars? Seriously, having Mitsubishi pull out of the Detroit Auto Show may not be all that bad a thing for Detroit. I've been wondering how long they will be able to keep a presence in the US at all.
Suzuki showed this last year in Detroit, http://www.caranddriver.com/news/auto_shows/2007_frankfurt_iaa_auto_show_auto_shows/also_appearing/suzuki_sx4_wrc_car_auto_shows not available here of course but we can always hope. Also it was always nice to see the Evo up close.

that is a hot sx4.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
11/22/08 6:40 p.m.

From what I saw today at the LAAS, they even make trucks (Rebadged Colorado)

MadScientistMatt
11/22/08 8:21 p.m.

I thought it was a rebadged Frontier. But it seems like there are a lot more two wheeled Suzukis than four wheeled ones on the street.

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
11/23/08 3:09 a.m.

I think the Mitsu truck is actually a rebadged Dodge Dakota.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/23/08 7:13 a.m.

suzuki is rebadged frontier....

I am interested because you can get a mid size truck 4door 4x4 with a "long bed" 6ft or so. Toyota does not offer that.

MadScientistMatt
11/23/08 9:11 a.m.
Evan_R wrote: I think the Mitsu truck is actually a rebadged Dodge Dakota.

It is, and I'm pretty sure it's the first time a vehicle from an American company has been sold under a Japanese name in the US.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
11/23/08 9:51 a.m.
I'm pretty sure it's the first time a vehicle from an American company has been sold under a Japanese name in the US.

Isuzu Hombre = GM S10

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/23/08 10:13 a.m.

VW Routan = Chrysler Town & Country

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
11/23/08 10:37 a.m.

Mazda B-Series = Ford Ranger

Mazda Navajo= Explorer

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/23/08 3:55 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: VW Routan = Chrysler Town & Country

I always wondered if that was the case. Thanks for answering my question haha.

Weird that Mitsu cancelled.

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
11/23/08 9:19 p.m.

I can't believe that Porsche dropped out a few years ago...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
11/24/08 10:58 a.m.
jamscal wrote: Mazda B-Series = Ford Ranger

So that's why B-series trucks are so unreliable...

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
11/24/08 11:30 a.m.

With all auto sales down it's a wonder there are any manufactures going to US autoshows this year.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/24/08 11:35 a.m.

I have been involved in trade shows for nearly 20 years. The cost to attend as a manufacturer is generally 187,423 times more than the financial benefits that you receive from the show. I don't know why anyone does them. If you want to know about Mitsubishi, do you go to the website? or visit a local dealer? Or drive to Detroit to pay to get into a show?

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/24/08 11:44 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
jamscal wrote: Mazda B-Series = Ford Ranger
So that's why B-series trucks are so unreliable...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B-Series_(North_America)

In 1994 The US version of the Mazda Truck became a rebadged Ford Ranger. Before that, the truck as a genuine Mazda Product.

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
11/24/08 2:54 p.m.
In 1994 The US version of the Mazda Truck became a rebadged Ford Ranger. Before that, the truck as a genuine Mazda Product.

And in the '70s and early '80's, the Ford Courier was a rebadged Mazda. What comes around goes around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y6C85XuxojMzwxBCBcvqB3uk3UuiwDrzfYTc8QAX5FSiMMFRq3SssC0AjaSTF6pF