JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick None
9/23/13 10:37 a.m.

I am thinking SSP or SSM or Xp.....?

It is a 1990 Consulier LX targa 2.2 turbo Chrysler engine 2250 pounds

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/23/13 10:40 a.m.

You're looking at XP or a high end Mod or Prepared class......I couldn't see it being "legal" for anything lower.

Also, welcome and I'd love to see pictures of your "Pre-Mosler"

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 10:50 a.m.

Matco tool calendar when it was new.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 11:02 a.m.

As it is today. I am restoring it.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/23/13 11:18 a.m.

In reply to JohnnyBquick:

Thats a savage piece of 80's design there. Very nice.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/23/13 11:34 a.m.

That is awesome! Looking at the pic feels like Im waiting for Zack from Saved by the Bell to jump in and drive away, leaving Screech on curb.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
9/23/13 11:54 a.m.

How close to stock is it? I sounds like its an actual serially produced car so it would fall in the super stock NOC catchall I would think. It would quickly get on the stock exclusion list I would think and would have to go play in SSP.

steved033
steved033 Reader
9/23/13 11:58 a.m.

wait! it's THE MATCO car??

GTBO

sjd

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 2:13 p.m.

Yes the Matco Tool calendar car.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 2:15 p.m.

In 1993, I walked into a repair shop in Vancouver Washington. A large, outdated calendar hung on the wall, featuring the most unusual, amazing car I had ever seen. Using all of my persuasion ability, I tried to convince the shop owner to give me that calendar. “No Way!!”  Later, finding out anything more about this unique car was impossible. Who knew anything about the internet way back then? I know a lot about cars, but had never heard of a search engine! The car, the poster, the colors and what the car looked like was forgotten until 20 years later.  A few years ago, Grass Roots Motor Sports had a full page ad, featuring a shiny red Consulier, funny looking in a race car kind of way. It had the same power plant as the Shelby GLHS I own, so that was cool! But way out of my price range. Later, the company had a store of them in a warehouse, and marked them down because they wanted to clear some space, but still, my pockets weren’t that deep.  Early in August 2013, a car guy I know contacted me saying he had bought one of the left over Consuliers and I had better call Mosler quick! The cars were now priced to sell. Once selling for $60,000 in 1990, they were going for $15,000 and less. My friend thought there was a chance they might have couple left.  I called and was told there was only one left, the “Barbie” car. The what? He sent me a few photos of this crazy looking white car with pink dots. Instantly I thought, I want the car, I’ll just paint it. We made a deal (or rather I made a steal) and the car was mine.   I went to the factory for a tour before having the car shipped across the county from Florida to Oregon. A new company has taken over since Consulier/ Mosler was sold. I was introduced to a guy that had been working on these cars since the late 80’s. On his wall was “the calendar” I remembered seeing in ’93. Oh my! It was MY car in the poster, the same exact car I had fallen in love with 20 years before. In that moment, everything I had forgotten came flooding back into my memory. The poster car is the car I bought!  I am the first owner of this car. It had always been a factory demo and promo car. The car was painted up “Miami Vice” colors for the Matco Tool calendar/poster from the very beginning and left that way. After I got the car, I found it had masking tape on it, like the factory was going to paint it.  But they never did and it sat that way for the last 18 years. It had 29,000 miles on it.  I guess it was sitting there just waiting for me, the guy who fell in love with it 20 years ago. 

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/23/13 2:19 p.m.

In reply to JohnnyBquick:

Awesome story! Congrats on finding and actually buying your dream car.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/23/13 2:19 p.m.

That's insanely awesome! Congrats!

Oh, and please don't paint it!

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 2:28 p.m.

I am going to paint it, just the exact color. Most of the paint isnt too bad, but some is needing a redo.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
9/23/13 3:34 p.m.

Too cool. I would love to see more pics of the car.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/23/13 4:36 p.m.

OK, that's up there as one of the coolest automotive stories ever told.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 6:38 p.m.
OK, that's up there as one of the coolest automotive stories ever told.

Yeah?...thanks.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/23/13 6:56 p.m.

There is something new for originality, all the dings, scratches and imperfections. Especially if its the Barbie car / calendar car, untouched its going to be worth more.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 7:10 p.m.

Here is more photos...while it was still in the warehouse, before it was shipped to me. http://www.polybushings.com/pages/consulier.html

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
9/23/13 7:19 p.m.

So cool that you ended up with this car, so many years after seeing it on a calendar.

Whatever you decide to do with this car, it definitely deserves a build-thread!!!

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 8:19 p.m.

Added more photos..... http://www.polybushings.com/pages/consulierRestoration.html

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 8:20 p.m.

Autocross this coming weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how she does.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 9:57 p.m.

My calculations: (correct?)

(1) 1600 lb base weight 2.2L x 1.4L displacement with turbo = 3.6L 3.6L x 200 lb/L weight penalty = 720 lb 1600 + 720 = 2320 minimum weight.

(2) Rear wheel weight greater than 51%: +25 lbs per liter Adjust by + 90 lb if rear weight bias = 2410 minimum weight.

(3) Tire width 275mm or less (all): -200 lbs

Adjust by -200 lb if tire width is less than 275mm = 2210 minimum weight.

CONSULIER

super street modIfied class (ssm) eligible vehicles: All two-seat cars not excluded below. All SM eligible sedans/coupes excluded from SM. All SM eligible vehicles. exCluded vehiCleS: Lotus (all except Elise, Exige, & Esprit) Vehicles not meeting minimum weights MiNiMuM weight CAlCulAtioNS (without dRiveR): FWD: 1350 lbs + 125 lbs per liter RWD: 1600 lbs + 200 lbs per liter AWD: 1600 lbs + 300 lbs per liter Supercharged or Turbocharged SSM engines: Add 1.4L to the actual displacement. Rear wheel weight greater than 51%: +25 lbs per liter Tire width 275mm or less (all): -200 lbs Regardless of the weight formulas above, no car will be required to weigh more than 2900 lbs.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/24/13 7:16 a.m.

Seems to get attention at car shows.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
9/24/13 9:06 a.m.

Where are you running the autocross? From your posts I am inferring you are in the Portland OR region. I would like to see that car driven in anger.

As a side note I have been trying to figure out how to make poly engine and transmission mounts for my own mid engine turbo Dodge creation (SRT4 in my case) and there they are on your website for $29.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/24/13 9:40 a.m.

I live in Coos Bay area...southern Oregon Coast. But the autocross is in Eugene. This will be my first autocross with this car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCZfsZlCQNOct6FFChV6p1uCiLb5AsE1vtIAGAo9JnafiF7AieHCEzgAA2G5hnuH