1 2 3 4 5
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/12/19 6:08 p.m.

So something I noticed this evening when moving the car around in the driveway. When starting the car the warning lights do their self check and the "Brake" light comes on, but when using the hand brake (a habit I have with all of my vehicles, even the ones with foot brakes) the light doesn't illuminate. Any clues where I should look first? I'm thinking there's a switch on the hand brake that perhaps isn't functioning. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/12/19 8:35 p.m.

Switch on the handbrake lever, or wires going to it.  Down at the base.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/12/19 9:54 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Agreed. 

Generally, near the cup holder. Probably the victim of coffee/soda spillage. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/13/19 7:09 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Dr. Hess said:

Agreed. 

Is this common to the Matrix/Vibe  or just in cars in general? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/19 7:25 p.m.

I just knew the cup holder is next to the hand brake on the Vibe

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/13/19 10:29 p.m.

The only thing I have to add to this discussion is the fact that the one thing I hate about the Pontiac Vibe is that it is the only car I have ever had to refer to with make and model and not just model.  Especially after my Mom bought one.  And, yes I am still 13 in some ways.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/20/19 9:21 a.m.

Semi update : 

Bought some harbor freight A/C refrigerant gauges yesterday 

Went home and hooked them up 

When opening the valves on the adapters that connect to the fittings on the car I heard a whooshing noise like air escaping from the gauges area. Well it turns out the valves at the gauges were open and I guess they shouldn't be. That proves two things. One I'm an idiot for not checking that. Two, there appears there was at the very least some sort of charge in the system. Now. What should I do? Get some refrigerant and try to charge the system? 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/20/19 9:37 a.m.

Yeah, get a can of R134a at wally world, hook it up to the center, open the suction side (low pressure), turn the can upside down and let it fill for a while.  Start the car, turn on AC, see if the compressor kicks in and sucks the rest of the can in.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/20/19 9:50 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Yeah, get a can of R134a at wally world, hook it up to the center, open the suction side (low pressure), turn the can upside down and let it fill for a while.  Start the car, turn on AC, see if the compressor kicks in and sucks the rest of the can in.

How does a total idiot(read me) know which side is the low pressure side?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/20/19 10:08 a.m.

There is a high side and a low side.  The connectors are different sizes.  The can with hose that Walmart (and all stores) sells you is only the size of the low side.  They have made it "you-proof".

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/20/19 10:14 a.m.
John Welsh said:

There is a high side and a low side.  The connectors are different sizes.  The can with hose that Walmart (and all stores) sells you is only the size of the low side.  They have made it "you-proof".

Okay, LOL. I thought the good Dr. was telling me to hook the can to the center hose(yellow) of the gauges I have, and then open one of the valves that apparently are only for filling, and I should have checked before hooking up the gauges. Then opening the valves at the fittings. I need you-proof stuff from time to time.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/20/19 7:54 p.m.

With the motor off, you can open both sides, the high and low and the freon will flow in through both when you open the center valve.  Then close everything.  Then open the suction.  HINT:  The gauge for the "low" or suction side has... wait for it... lower numbers on it than the gauge for the high pressure side.  Then start the car, turn the AC on, open the center valve to get the freon into the low side.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/26/19 8:17 p.m.

Found a set of slightly used Arctic Claw winter tires on Craigslist and picked them up for $100 today. I know it's not the right time of year for these, but winter is always coming in New England. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/28/19 5:37 p.m.

Went to a local salvage yard today and scored a rear headrest to replace the missing one. While it is black and the interior of our car is grey, it's close enough, and was free. Also I grabbed the hand brake switch because it was so easy to grab with the center console already removed. Turns out the one in our car was just completely gunked up with spilled big gulps and dog hair. Removal and a thorough cleaning made it work right as rain. Now I have a spare switch for the future. It was also free (no I didn't steal it). I forgot we need a better condition door keep for the driver's door as ours is worn out. Maybe this weekend I will go check if the yard has one in better condition, or I'll buy one online, they're cheap. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/19 6:49 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Dr. Hess said:

Agreed. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/19 6:50 p.m.

How's the car been. Are you super happy with it or has it been an endless project? 

How about Jr? Is he digging it? 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/28/19 6:54 p.m.

Not registered yet. Jr. Doesn't have his license yet. Might get it registered soon so I can drive it around and get a feel for it before letting our son drive it. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/28/19 8:59 p.m.

I picked up an '08 last summer for our son.

New wheel bearing as part of certification at the time,5k later had to replace both.

Also had a nasty engine noise that came and went,changed the serpentine belt and tensioner as it appeared to be original.

Noise came back and it was the compressor,we live in the great white north so a shorter belt now bypasses the compressor.

Otherwise solid driving little econobox.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/3/19 12:59 p.m.

Picked up a can of R134A a few days ago while at the local Vatozone getting some oil for my RX-7. Had the choice of getting the can with a gauge, hose with fitting, and a trigger for $50 or a simple can for around $20. A/C pro is the brand. I don't remember if it has any sort of sealant in it, but I think the fancy can with the gauge, and hose did. Got the simple can as I figured with the manifold gauges I can just fill the system through them. Parts store geek told me I needed an adapter to hook the yellow hose to this sealed can. Adapter was $3 so I got it. Haven't had time to mess with it yet. A/C guy at work said I should've got the can with the hose, and gauge as I will only fill my manifold and hoses with the contents of the can I bought and not the system.  That doesn't sound right to me. I don't know what I'm doing, but without knowing much about the system I thought the cheaper can of refrigerant was the way to go.

Oh yeah I got the title, and maintenance paperwork from my friend. Just need to get it titled and registered in our name now, and start running it about before Mazdax605 Jr. gets it. Well he needs to get his permit/license too.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/19 2:55 p.m.

I think either your "AC guy" needs replacing or you didn't understand him.  And as you have the gauge set, yeah, you got the right kind of can.  They have been running ~$8 at wally world.  The gauge set should come with an end to pierce the can, but whatever. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/3/19 3:08 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I think either your "AC guy" needs replacing or you didn't understand him.  And as you have the gauge set, yeah, you got the right kind of can.  They have been running ~$8 at wally world.  The gauge set should come with an end to pierce the can, but whatever. 

I understood him. He said the can with the gauge and hose are like $8 at Wal-Mart.  I don't shop at Wal-Mart. He said I bought a Cadillac can at Vatozone when I could've bought the Chevy can at Wal-Mart. He's an idiot. I probably could've bought it cheaper  but I don't buy it that you can get it with the gauge and hose for$8. Walmart or not.

glueguy
glueguy Dork
4/3/19 3:22 p.m.

Cans of R134a are currently $4.88 at my Wal-Mart. I bought a lot. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/3/19 3:25 p.m.
glueguy said:

Cans of R134a are currently $4.88 at my Wal-Mart. I bought a lot. 

With the gauge and hose ? 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/19 3:45 p.m.

No, not the one with the gauge and hose, which you don't need because you have gauges and hoses now, right?  In fact, you can't use your gauges and hoses if you buy the one with a gauge and hose, unless you get the pierce the can side adapter instead of using the screw in the top adapter.  I think the one with the hose on it is like $20 at wally world.  Five bucks for the normal can seems about right.  I haven't bought any in a while.  I stock up when they are on sale.

glueguy
glueguy Dork
4/3/19 6:43 p.m.

What Dr. Hess said. The gauges are intimidating at first. Spend some time to think through the gas flow path. The gauges and valves in the main part aren’t really together. With the carside valve open and the gauge valve closed, the gauge will read car pressure. Open the can, through the yellow tube, up into the manifold. Then open the blue low side valve to allow gas to flow into the car. Close the gauge valve to read system pressure again. Finally close the carside valve to seal the car system. 

I always talk to myself alot when doing AC to make sure I don’t screw up the sequence. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LppzDdVMfo1GiGzIs3VTrrWzgKBHZG7zslWLGXdqcOMEyQuAp8nd7ABU5p0ArFDo