1 2 3 4 5
Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/6/10 10:48 a.m.

I've heard that, even when new, the 911 A/C system was maxed out once the outside temperature got above 75 degrees. I've also heard that the original lines were designed to bleed if the system pressure gets too high. Now that they're over 20 years old, their ability to hold any pressure is doubtful.

I'm actually thinking about removing the whole system to shave some weight out of the car.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
8/6/10 12:02 p.m.

The more I stick around here, the more I want a car with the engine behind me.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/6/10 12:31 p.m.

The real question is how do I get the beautiful rear fender flairs without paying a fortune?

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/6/10 12:42 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: The real question is how do I get the beautiful rear fender flairs without paying a fortune?

http://www.automotion.com/turbo-flare-rear-right-for-porsche.html

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/6/10 12:55 p.m.

Preeeetty.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
8/6/10 1:06 p.m.

There's also this kind of craziness:

http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34509&start=0

Audi 20V Turbo in a 924. Great, tunable chassis + Great tunable and reliable motor = potential win!

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/6/10 2:37 p.m.

So where is the best place to find a good one? I think I'm sold.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/6/10 3:41 p.m.

Unless you get lucky and happen to find a well cared for car locally, the better cars are often on Pelican.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

The best of the best are usually found in Panorama or through other Porsche Club members, but they are also the most expensive.

I search Craigslist just about every day and you begin to understand that, though they're not exactly rare, they didn't make a zillion of them either. They can be few and far between.

I would not buy an e-Bay 911, unless I had inspected it in person before bidding.

Read everything about them that you can before you shop and, as always, a Pre Purchase Inspection is highly recommended.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/6/10 3:51 p.m.

When I bought my 85 911 I had looked for awhile and was pretty specific in what I wanted. I ended up joining the PCA and going to the local TN meetings. I met a PCA member from KY at a Porsche meet at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green and really like his car, so gave him my card and asked him to call if he ever wanted to sell. He called a few months later and I bought it after a PPI. At first he didn't want to sell, but at the time he was 78 years old, his kids were fighting over who would get it after he passed (although he seemed in good health), so he decided to sell to me. If you join the PCA you'll get a line on a lot of local cars as well as access to the PCA classifieds.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/6/10 3:56 p.m.

I thought you couldn't join the PCA unless you already had a P-car? I could be wrong though.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/6/10 4:03 p.m.

You can get a one time provisional membership without owning a Porsche.

Or get the VIN off a car in the junkyard

P71
P71 SuperDork
8/6/10 4:03 p.m.

You can join the PCA at a price for a few months without having a P-Car for the sole purpose of trying to buy one.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/6/10 4:06 p.m.

I purchased mine on ebay, sight unseen... but I did speak the owner - and he turned out to be a racer and former PCA chapter president. We had several racing and track-day acquaintances in common who vouched that he was not a crook. I see his name at the top of NASA gts3 podiums on occasion and the shop he used to maintain the car was well respected (except for that one incident with embezzling church money hahahaaha).

long/short... without that connection I would not have bid on an old 911 on ebay. There is too much hidden expense risk in a wrecked tub or a bad motor / trans to not check it out first.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/6/10 4:11 p.m.

ah.. the more I want another real 911...

octavious
octavious New Reader
8/6/10 5:53 p.m.

Woody, I removed the entire AC out of my car and saved about 95 lbs. With the stock 2.7 it was a noticeable difference. With the chipped 3.2 and the open exhaust I don't think it would have really mattered to keep the extra weight.

Some other places to look, rennlist, hemmings, autotrader, and CL.

I made the mistake of buying my car without a PPI and although I consider myself extremely lucky, I wouldn't do it again without a PPI first.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/6/10 7:03 p.m.

Not to give too much away, but soon we'll have an article that answers a lot of the questions in this thread: what's the difference between the models, what to spend, what's a pre-purchasing inspection, where to find good cars, etc. It's like you guys are reading my mind.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
8/6/10 7:04 p.m.
Woody wrote: You can get a one time provisional membership without owning a Porsche. Or get the VIN off a car in the junkyard
P71 wrote: You can join the PCA at a price for a few months without having a P-Car for the sole purpose of trying to buy one.

Ah, thanks guys. My only experience came from trying to autocross with them, as I had heard good reviews. Obviously, it didn't work out.

I like the junkyard idea though.

octavious
octavious New Reader
8/6/10 7:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens said: Not to give too much away, but soon we'll have an article that answers a lot of the questions in this thread: what's the difference between the models, what to spend, what's a pre-purchasing inspection, where to find good cars, etc. It's like you guys are reading my mind.

I don't suppose you need any pics for the article do you? I know of a certain hotrodded yellow targa you could use...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/6/10 8:43 p.m.
octavious wrote:
David S. Wallens said: Not to give too much away, but soon we'll have an article that answers a lot of the questions in this thread: what's the difference between the models, what to spend, what's a pre-purchasing inspection, where to find good cars, etc. It's like you guys are reading my mind.
I don't suppose you need any pics for the article do you? I know of a certain hotrodded yellow targa you could use...

Maybe--message sent. And Purple Snorklewhatever, I'd like to talk to you, too, but can't seem to send a message via our site. Please drop me a line.

Thanks.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
8/6/10 8:51 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
carguy123 wrote: One more thing to consider, the older 911s may have been models from before they'd tamed the snap oversteer tendancies.
Once you get used to steering with your feet that pendulum action can be used to an advantage. The "snap" part of the oversteer is caused by the driver not the car. The car just suffers no fools
That is not what every magazine article since time began has said. Nor is it the scuttle butt of any race tracks. It took decades for Porsche to tame the rear of the 911. Just get on the Porsche forums and see what they say and I'll warn you, it ain't pretty.
The 911 is the most victorious race car of all time for a reason. That reason is not because asshats on Internet forums and folks with a degree in journalism can't drive worth a E36 M3.

I can haz fanboi? I'm a fan of the 911, especially its rally pedigree, but it is difficult to find someone who won't admit that they are a triumph of development over (orginial) engineering. The whole 'once you figure out how to drive it' argument doesn't sit well with me- sorry - it just seems like honda built the s2000 and the miata are built to drive out of the box. The real brilliant drivers cars don't need you to learn their quirks. On the other hand, maybe it's like dating a supermodel.... you pay the price for the high speed and nifty underpants.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/6/10 8:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Not to give too much away, but soon we'll have an article that answers a lot of the questions in this thread: what's the difference between the models, what to spend, what's a pre-purchasing inspection, where to find good cars, etc. It's like you guys are reading my mind.

Eh, electrons are just faster than paper, that's all..

And just reading the thread makes me want to look at 911s again. I certainly have loved every one I've had the chance to drive (although I haven't driven the 993, or even the 964 yet) Maybe when the offspring finishes college...(where's the "wistful sigh" smiley?)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/6/10 9:46 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I can haz fanboi? I'm a fan of the 911, especially its rally pedigree, but it is difficult to find someone who won't admit that they are a triumph of development over (orginial) engineering. The whole 'once you figure out how to drive it' argument doesn't sit well with me- sorry - it just seems like honda built the s2000 and the miata are built to drive out of the box. The real brilliant drivers cars don't need you to learn their quirks. On the other hand, maybe it's like dating a supermodel.... you pay the price for the high speed and nifty underpants.

"The really brilliant drivers" you mention are really brilliant only in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them. Some platforms make it more accessible for certain - but lets take the Exige for an example... its flat out brilliant by all measures but try to treat it like an S2000 and you will be backwards before you can yell berkeley. Its not going to tolerate any nonsense an M3 would put up with mid-corner. Is the M3 a better car because it lets you manhandle it? If you drove the M3 like an Exige... how many apexes would you miss understeering on entry? Wanna try to drive an SVT Focus like a Miata? Its a brilliant little car but its going off wide in turn one if you do.

The 911 has a lot going for it by design. It can change direction in an instant, accelerate like a live axle car but turn on independent suspension... its subtly brilliant and has won enough in all its forms (even short wheel based killer 912s!) to bear credence without having to qualify it as a triumph of development over design. Is it perfect? Hell no (The Exige actually is), its engaging for sure - and its not a "snap" oversteering car unless you are a driver who invites snap oversteer by winding up the bars and releasing them at the wrong time.

Wow. I am verbose this evening. I'll stop beating this horse. I need more scotch anyway - you see where I'm going by now I'd imagine. Its not wrong - its just different and you have to treat it that way.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/6/10 9:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
octavious wrote:
Maybe--message sent. And Purple Snorklewhatever, I'd like to talk to you, too, but can't seem to send a message via our site. Please drop me a line. Thanks.

There's a picof my Targa in "My Garage" hint hint

Thanks for the comment btw

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/6/10 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Cotton: I wonder if they'll do a special on Daewoos any time soon.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/6/10 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: I agree. One of the main advantages to a mid engined car is that you get more weight on the drive wheels. The disadvantage being that you've just created a very impractical machine. A rear engined car gets the traction without the impracticality. The 911 is rear engined for a reason.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xQpnbb5TCu3i7Gy4x1yoguHzhrf7U2dGlEJG85sQW2zWiyMIZr1xbsBI4ZI4WEGH