vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/3/24 10:31 p.m.

Was driving Threepio (2012 Prius C) when I was instructed by the car to pullover immediately due a problem with the hybrid drive system.

Pulled the code: P0C73 

I checked the inverter cooling system and it was empty. A little investigation and I found a leak at the lower hose on the passenger side. The tension clamp was badly rusted. The hose was covered in coolant and leaking. I'm guessing it wouldn't hold pressure anymore. I replaced it. I used a worm drive clamp. Big deal???

Do I need to fill it with Toyota specific coolant? Is there something comparable at NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Advance?

Is there a trick to filling and bleeding the system?

Once done can I clear the code or does the car need to go to the dealership?

Thanks,

George

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/3/24 10:55 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, you want the pink Toyota coolant.

Clear the code with Dr. Prius and you will be fine.  No need to visit Dealer.

I'm not familiar with the bleeding process on the "C" but it's simple on the Gen 2.  A quick google search on Prius Chat will yield the desired procedure 

5/4/24 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Thanks. Downloaded. And I appear to have an OBD dongle that's approved. Yay, small victory.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 8:32 a.m.

Dr. Prius is an app for android and Apple that has a small one time fee.  I have both it and Torque Pro.  I'll admit I use the Torque more but it can be good to have both.  

Inverter coolant bleed on a Gen2 is a 10mm deep socket and a 2 ft section of hose.  Video

I use the socket to break the bleeder open.  From there, hand tightening is enough to start/stop the flow.  Once happy, socket again to make a firm closure.  

5/4/24 8:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks. I was hoping you guys would pop in here.

The owners manual says Toyota or equivalent coolant. Don't think the dealership is open today and I'd like to get the car back up and running.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 8:51 a.m.

Yes...or equivalent.  I do happen to have a jug of Toyota stuff that I've had forever.  Changing a coolant pump with hose clamps really doesn't loose much coolant.  

The moral of the story here is, "don't skimp on the coolant quality."  Such as, just since you have some ole green Prestone from 1999 on hand, I'd recommend getting "the right stuff" and the right stuff is at least "the equivalent."  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/4/24 8:53 a.m.

Do you have a Walmart near you?

I buy this one there:

There's also a Walmart brand that's similar.  I've used both successfully.

Edit:  looks like John was replying at the same time as me 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 9:03 a.m.

Here is my video of choice for Gen2 pump replacement.  Skip to the 4:30-ish mark where he decides that removing the headlight is the key.  

5/4/24 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Yes, Walmart. About 50 minutes away. Parts stores are closer however.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 9:06 a.m.

These hose clamps get the job done for me...on a Gen2

5/4/24 9:09 a.m.

This is red. Should it work?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 9:12 a.m.

Yes, Toyota Red

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 9:24 a.m.

That  NAPA Red will work fine.

I went out and took a picture of what I have.  I've had it longer than I've had Prius.  I see the packaging  copywriter says 2004 so it's newer than that but probably older that 2014...how time flies.  

5/4/24 9:34 a.m.

I'm hoping I don't need to replace the pump. Could it be damaged if it went dry like an immersed fuel pump?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 9:56 a.m.

On Gen2s, if the pump is bad it blows a fuse labeled AM2.  Ergo, if your fuse is good, your pump is likely good.  

5/4/24 10:01 a.m.
John Welsh said:

On Gen2s, if the pump is bad it blows a fuse labeled AM2.  Ergo, if your fuse is good, your pump is likely good.  

Thanks I'll check that. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/4/24 11:08 a.m.

If that fuse is blown your car will not run.  More ergo...if your car will run your fuse is likely good. 

5/5/24 4:02 p.m.

Plates arrived.

Note: this system, on this car, does not appear to have a bleed screw or port. I traced all hoses to and from pump and inverter. None. The reservoir is highest point. So I simply filled and bleed the system by gravity. All fuses good. I can't clear the code. The Dr. Prius app says I may need to disconnect the 12v battery to clear it. Anyway, I drove it about a mile with no issues. We'll see about tomorrow on the way to work as things warm up during the drive.

Thanks all who provided I do and advice. It was greatly appreciated.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/5/24 6:11 p.m.

There's two systems to read and then clear.  Engine error codes & high voltage battery codes.  Did you read and clear both before disconnecting the 12 volt battery?

Should be all good after that 

5/5/24 8:42 p.m.

I read and cleared both. I did not disconnect the battery however. Will it be a problem? How much stuff will I need to reset after disconnecting the battery? Also, is it in the trunk?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m6eoqDXvecbhSqTgc0BjlVMeLHgAmvogTLPQ19F3zu1OekuwJ0K8zk63nrw0OGNd