1 2
racerfink
racerfink UberDork
1/24/23 6:32 a.m.

While listening to a reactor react to this song, I saw in the comment section that this song was based on a short story in Road & Track called "A Nice Morning Drive" by Richard Foster.  It was in the November'73 issue.

Very interesting read.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19731100roadandtrack.htm

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
1/24/23 7:25 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

From a HUGE Rush fan..thank you for posting this.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/24/23 7:59 a.m.

I had always thought "A Nice Morning Drive" was originally published in a British magazine...  good to know the real source.  Thanks for linking that.

Neil Peart was an avid motorcyclist, and rode his BMWs all over the world.  His two books Ghostrider and Roadshow are a great read, and not just if you're a Rush fan.  I was a big fan of Rush long before I knew that Peart was a rider... after reading the books it just makes my connection to their music that much stronger. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/24/23 8:38 a.m.

I remember the first time I REALLY listened to that song and learned it was about a dystopian future and told another co worker about it (also a car guy) and he didn't believe me until HE listened to the song again (this was only about 15 years ago). One of the reasons I think RUSH is one of the greatest bands of all time is the messages they weave throughout their music. Thanks for bringing up that memory.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
1/24/23 8:40 a.m.

I actually dislike Rush but this is one of my favorite songs.

I will live it.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/24/23 8:55 a.m.
Rodan said:

I had always thought "A Nice Morning Drive" was originally published in a British magazine...  good to know the real source.  Thanks for linking that.

Neil Peart was an avid motorcyclist, and rode his BMWs all over the world.  His two books Ghostrider and Roadshow are a great read, and not just if you're a Rush fan.  I was a big fan of Rush long before I knew that Peart was a rider... after reading the books it just makes my connection to their music that much stronger. 

Ghost Rider is an EXCELLENT book. Deals with grief and loss like nothing else I've read (or in this case, listened to) while remaining extremely entertaining. Highly recommended. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/24/23 8:57 a.m.

I'm gonna go ahead and say get off my lawn, because I'm appalled that "reactor" is a title and that some of them probably make more $ than me.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/24/23 8:58 a.m.

On topic though, I'm pretty sure Alex Lifeson ran several Lemons races a decade or so ago.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
1/24/23 9:20 a.m.

There is an awesome old video floating around of a turbo Miata that was named Turbo Fish, iirc. It was originally built for the GRM Challenge but blew a motor from what I remember. The video was from a track day somewhere in the midwest. It started off with "When the levee breaks" by Led Zeppelin and then transitioned into "Red Barchetta" by Rush. It is an amazing video, not only because the 2 songs used are amazing, but also because it's a turbo Miata blowing away Porsches at what appears to be a PCA track day! :D

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
1/24/23 9:33 a.m.

Found mention of the video, and the author (seems to run AIM Tuning) but no actual video. :(

Turbo Fish mention - from 2006

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/24/23 10:06 a.m.
Rodan said:

He also frequently rode his BMW's between concerts as well. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/24/23 11:03 a.m.
z31maniac said:

That's the majority of what Roadshow is about...  where possible Peart would ride his bike between tour locations rather than ride the tour bus.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
1/24/23 11:20 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

On topic though, I'm pretty sure Alex Lifeson ran several Lemons races a decade or so ago.

I think it was Neil. I remember seeing pictures of him at a track somewhere. 

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
1/24/23 11:46 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Me too, though I will be the white-haired uncle and my niece will be the driver.  I've already preserved the old machine for thirty-odd years...what's twenty more?  A brilliant blue barchetta from a better, vanished time.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
1/24/23 12:31 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Get off my lawn is the saying of our generation. Gen Xtra.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/23 12:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm gonna go ahead and say get off my lawn, because I'm appalled that "reactor" is a title and that some of them probably make more $ than me.

Even dumber than "influencer" and my interest immediately shuts off as soon as I encounter that term.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
1/24/23 12:44 p.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/26/23 10:08 a.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/26/23 10:13 a.m.

Also, did the R30 tour really take place nearly 20 years ago? Good grief. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/26/23 12:13 p.m.

Fantastic original posting ... thank you so much for putting that out there !

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
1/26/23 12:46 p.m.

One of my favorite songs. I'd love to make a music video for it with animation. Unfortunately, I can't drawlaugh, so I will live with the visions and imagery (so artfully done) in my mind.

Tangentially car and Rush related, perhaps the folks who made this video for YYZ could do Red Barchetta...

https://youtu.be/ftVTWDrtrlc

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/26/23 3:19 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Rodan said:

I can verify this.  After a concert at the gorge, I may or may not have shared a gas pump with him. It's a beautiful area to ride.  

I don't listen to Rush anymore though for my own reasons.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
1/27/23 2:32 p.m.

I haven't thought about that song in a long time. Did anyone else notice in the video the washer and dryer behind Lee? Love the sense of humor.

PeteD
PeteD Reader
1/28/23 5:43 a.m.
jimgood said:

I haven't thought about that song in a long time. Did anyone else notice in the video the washer and dryer behind Lee? Love the sense of humor.

Can someone explain the washer & dryer for me? I've never understood the meaning or joke.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/28/23 6:41 a.m.

In reply to PeteD :

The story I heard was after Geddy switched from live amps on stage to going DI into the console, he didn't want a bunch of fake speaker cabinets behind him. I'm not sure exactly why he chose washers/dryers instead, but they had tshirts in them that he'd toss out to the audience during their shows. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Stxr8XR8xJpR1p33dU53MhyuQhxJ27Q7DvBB5nmS7ZnTFHphKUKuliT1RiJoPZG6