1 2 3
doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
8/30/16 9:01 p.m.

My Duramax makes about 600 lb ft, in a 7,000 lb truck. It's surprisingly fun to drive. I'm thinking that thing makes at least 800-1000 lb ft, and it's 3200 lbs...

I get it that some of you think it's pointless as a diesel, and as a Miata, but IMO the point isn't missing, you're just missing the point! It would be heaps of torquey fun no doubt about that.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
8/30/16 9:48 p.m.

Would I do that? Nope. Do I think its cool that they did? Absolutely. I can admire their realization of an oddball idea without wanting to emulate them. Sorta like watching the guy juggle running chain saws...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/30/16 10:36 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the skill of the build. But seems like a lot of work and money to end up with something that probably sucks to drive (and is probably not legal to drive anyhow). Also it just looks ugly. I'd rather see that engine put in a cool vintage pickup or something.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
8/31/16 5:54 a.m.

If any Miata needs lifted & setup for offroading, it's this one.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/31/16 8:02 a.m.

i for one thing it's badass, but im a big lover of endlessly smoking the tires just for shenanigans kind of guy. I also enjoy diesel powered cars. I'm guessing if the car is actually used for anything its probably for drifting or those crazy Australian burnout contest type stuff, either way it has to be a blast.

I also found this yesterday on FB:

a r32 skyline with a 6.0 powerstroke in it. There are video's of it drifting and its amusing to watch the black diesel smoke mix with the white tire smoke while sideways.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
8/31/16 8:20 a.m.

That R32 is better executed. The motor mostly fits in the car and it's lighter than a 4BT (although still heavy).

With the 4BT Miata, it's a cool idea, it's just not the right diesel to use if you want a good / functional end result.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/31/16 10:51 a.m.

Black Smoke Racing has their cool W123 drift wagon with the stock diesel that is turbocharged, supercharged and nitrous'd. Way more functional than the Miata.

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/31/16 11:01 a.m.

Geezus, now that looks rather terrifying.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
8/31/16 11:15 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i for one thing it's badass, but im a big lover of endlessly smoking the tires just for shenanigans kind of guy. I also enjoy diesel powered cars. I'm guessing if the car is actually used for anything its probably for drifting or those crazy Australian burnout contest type stuff, either way it has to be a blast. I also found this yesterday on FB: a r32 skyline with a 6.0 powerstroke in it. There are video's of it drifting and its amusing to watch the black diesel smoke mix with the white tire smoke while sideways.

I seriously hope that was a gts model. Or even base model. I'm gutted if it was a gtr.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/31/16 11:26 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote:
edizzle89 wrote: i for one thing it's badass, but im a big lover of endlessly smoking the tires just for shenanigans kind of guy. I also enjoy diesel powered cars. I'm guessing if the car is actually used for anything its probably for drifting or those crazy Australian burnout contest type stuff, either way it has to be a blast. I also found this yesterday on FB: a r32 skyline with a 6.0 powerstroke in it. There are video's of it drifting and its amusing to watch the black diesel smoke mix with the white tire smoke while sideways.
I seriously hope that was a gts model. Or even base model. I'm gutted if it was a gtr.

Judging by the flat quarter panels, reasonably certain it was not a GT-R

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
8/31/16 12:58 p.m.

I eagerly await the 1.8 in a Dodge Ram swap.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
8/31/16 2:05 p.m.
petegossett wrote: If any Miata needs lifted & setup for offroading, it's this one.

If I could get the donations that they did, that would happen.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
8/31/16 2:21 p.m.
NickD wrote:
Trackmouse wrote:

Based on the articles written about the vehicle, it was a GTS-T was a RB25. Nothing of serious value, especially in Canada.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
8/31/16 2:45 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote:
NickD wrote:
Trackmouse wrote:
Based on the articles written about the vehicle, it was a GTS-T was a RB25. Nothing of serious value, especially in Canada.

Huh??

Whats the especially in Canada bit about??

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
8/31/16 6:27 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: No on-track footage has turned up yet, but we did find this. https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/PistonHeadProductions/videos/1075394059164851/&show_text=0&width=400

i love how he just wailed on it then shut it down hot, i'm sure the turbo loved that.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
8/31/16 6:40 p.m.

I don't see the point of a diesel truck engine in a Meotter, but that's the beauty of the car hobby. There doesn't have to be a point. Someone thought it was a cool idea, so they built it. And that's all the purpose you need right there.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
8/31/16 6:44 p.m.

Im not a big fan of diesel but one of my favorite things to do is long burnouts and im sure it would walk sideways down a road for a long time!

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/31/16 7:16 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: How did they adjust the front to hold all that weight? That's what I want to know...

So I told that engineerin' lady, the only adjustment I need is the one that makes big giant clouds of soot.

(You know your vehicle is environmentally heinous when the guy who drives a BRIDGE PORTED ROTARY calls you out on it)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/16 7:23 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: I don't see the point of a diesel truck engine in a Meotter, but that's the beauty of the car hobby. There doesn't have to be a point. Someone thought it was a cool idea, so they built it. And that's all the purpose you need right there.

Yep. If it makes someone smile, then it's good for me. (Unless, of course, it makes someone smile by killing nuns or something.)

ronbros
ronbros Reader
9/7/16 1:35 p.m.

diesels dont smoke much without a good load on them!

and that Miata aint puttin much load on that 4BT!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
9/7/16 7:18 p.m.

Just another P.O.S. hot-rod!! I hugely hope they didn't destroy a good and usable Miata to make this P.O.S.!!

Time and time again, great and wonderful rides which had real value have been have been destroyed by installing running gear which was never intended for that car!! If the car before this "hot-rodding" disaster was a "total," that's another issue.

But I have seen so many great Jaguars destroyed by the installation of a SBC or SBF as promoted by John's Jags, I can't even count the numbers. Sadly, many perfectly good Miatas are suffering the same fate today!!

If you must build a hot-rod out of wonderful cars such as Miatas most of us truly enjoy today, please only desecrate a car which is such a mess it has no value when you start!! If for no other reason, when you are done whatever you create after the first week or two will certainly have no true value anyway!!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/7/16 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Rupert:

I understand where you are coming from, but the person who owns a car gets to decide what they do to it. Fortunately they don't have to first get approval from an internet peanut gallery before starting to modify their own property.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
9/8/16 5:16 a.m.

In reply to Rupert:

It's a red Miata, there's like a million of them.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/8/16 7:31 a.m.
Rupert wrote: But I have seen so many great Jaguars destroyed by the installation of a SBC or SBF as promoted by John's Jags, I can't even count the numbers. Sadly, many perfectly good Miatas are suffering the same fate today!! please only desecrate a car which is such a mess it has no value when you start!!

how do you know that they were 'perfect' cars before the swap? maybe they had major issues (i know thats hard to believe with a old jaguar )

maybe that miata had a salvage title and wasnt good for much more then a crazy swap. But i've never been much of a purist when it come to cars so I for one say swap all the things!

to add to that, here is a perfectly good 240sx vert with a 4bt that is done a little cleaner then the miata.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
9/8/16 7:50 a.m.

Has no one watched the build videos? They were donated a used shell for this. Just sheetmetal and spare parts. It's not like they went out and hacked up a BRG or anything.

I wish it smoked more, I really do. I just think if you're going to flirt with crazy, well, commit. Offroadster kit, smoke spewing tune, bud light cans riveted to the side.. Give the bro-dozer crowd something to be scared of. And me something to dream about. "Country Boy Convertible"... Hmmm.. Everyone else is getting into the small niche customization market, why not Zoidberg?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xMgXfmwwMxr6kApicltrtKL9UPaLYPeZwoPhErBKB3ogAORrCuVwNAgS6VMuDwUC