1 2
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/31/08 10:48 p.m.

Lets back up the truck. Here...

people are steering the OP to something more hardcore of a 4x4 than I believe this guy needs. Stop being internet super n3rds that reccomend only the most hardcore... go back to 4chan. same damn mentality that said unibody cherokees were no good when they came out..

Phillyj... what is the use of the vehicle? towing? How much will you use 4x4? How rugged of a vehicle do you need?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/31/08 11:51 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What about a Subaru Forrester?

Speak not such evil!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/31/08 11:54 p.m.
ignorant wrote: people are steering the OP to something more hardcore of a 4x4 than I believe this guy needs. Stop being internet super n3rds that reccomend only the most hardcore

My suggestion towards a shift-lever transfercase and manual locking hubs has nothing to do with being hardcore, and everything to do with sheer reliability of the drivetrain.

Pushbuttons fail. Sticks don't. Autolocking hubs fail. Manual ones... very rarely.

I would really hate for the OG poster to be in a situation requiring 4WD, and push the button only to find that a $2 switch has failed, leaving them stranded/in need of a tow.

Better to just get what you know is gonna work.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/1/09 8:55 a.m.

toyotas dont have hubs but the ADD system is considered weak by hardcore folks Gm's don't have hubs but that stupid thermal actuator on the front end arrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh early wrangler vac actuated front axle disconnects.. arrrrrrrggggggggghhh again

autolocking hubs in the traditional sense haven't been used since the 80's/early 90's. The only ones I can remember that are close in "modern" times are the vacuum actuated hubs on 98-99 for explorer/rangers.

I just want to know the guys usage before we recommend a tractor to do the work of a minivan.

to the OP all 4x4 vehicles have a transfer case even awd ones.

For example. I owned many jeeps some with manual hubs and a transfer case lever, jeeps with no hubs and a lever, a toyota with manual hubs and a lever, and a ranger with dial and the HORRID BAD BAD BAD vac locking hubs.... The ranger was by far the most shaky design(the vac act. hubs are made of some very thin plastic) and it never failed to engage. 160k miles on it and no failures even though I lived in some of the north easts worst snow country.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/1/09 9:28 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: The original poster had a rear wheel drive, 4x4 that got wrecked. He posted that he is looking for a 4x4 SUV. I think many of us are suggesting trucks that are closer to what he had than a FWD or AWD wagon (Honda Pilot)

it was also unibody... OMG its going to break. better buy something with a manual transmission, manual locking hubs, locking diffs, and no electronics for reliabilities sake....

good thing these guys are still in business.

sarcasm included.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
1/1/09 10:18 a.m.

If the OP's vehicle was an 02 LE then it had an electronically controlled 2-range transfer case with an electronically controlled locking center diff. IMO that system is much more flexible & effective than the prior generation mechanical lever system that it replaced.

I don't understand why someone would recommend a "hardcore mechanical transfer case" 4x4 & in the same post recommend a Forester.

phillyj
phillyj Reader
1/1/09 2:26 p.m.

ok guys, calm down. I should have posted how this vehicle was to be used. Sorry. My dad bought the nissan after the dd vw jetta couldn't make it through some flooded roads. Also, the commute to the job was about 20 miles one way. The route is through the county and in the winter, if it snows, no one clears the road, at least not umtil the next morning. My dad drives back home is the middle of the night between 12 to 2 AM. Winter conditions are from late November to February and even March. The rest of the year is no problem and 4x2 is ok then. No off roading, or related things. My dad is 6ft 2 and needs quiet a bit of space. For comparision, the Jeep grand Cherokee is not in his liking due to size. And 40 mi is a long drive so comfiness is a plus. Has to reliable and repairs not too expensive

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/1/09 4:25 p.m.
phillyj wrote: ok guys, calm down. I should have posted how this vehicle was to be used. Sorry. My dad bought the nissan after the dd vw jetta couldn't make it through some flooded roads. Also, the commute to the job was about 20 miles one way. The route is through the county and in the winter, if it snows, no one clears the road, at least not umtil the next morning. My dad drives back home is the middle of the night between 12 to 2 AM. Winter conditions are from late November to February and even March. The rest of the year is no problem and 4x2 is ok then. No off roading, or related things. My dad is 6ft 2 and needs quiet a bit of space. For comparision, the Jeep grand Cherokee is not in his liking due to size. And 40 mi is a long drive so comfiness is a plus. Has to reliable and repairs not too expensive

Have him test drive an Outback. I'm just an RCH under 6', and there's room to spare for me. 2.5L cars easily get better than 26mpg with an automatic, 3.0L cars have a LOT more punch, but mpg comes down to ~22 and they need premium.

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
1/1/09 10:38 p.m.

4Runner. Love ours. You could pick up an '05 probably for that price.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
1/2/09 3:22 a.m.

Outback/Forester sounds to me like the best choice here. You don't need a 4x4 SUV unless you're towing or using it offroad. THe outback will get better milage, be more comfortable, and the Forester can be had with a turbo

phillyj
phillyj Reader
1/2/09 9:59 a.m.

I think it will be hard to convince my dad to get a Subaru although i find the Forrester appealing. The 4runner seems to be a good option. Many of them seem to be the v8 sr5. About how much mileage can you get on the v6, 20/18?

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
1/2/09 10:31 a.m.

Head to www.fueleconomy.gov to compare fuel economy of all vehicles sold in the US since 1985

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/2/09 4:24 p.m.

I'll bet he'll be better off with a subaru in the snow.. but hey to each his own.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/2/09 11:11 p.m.

Gotta say, from my limited AWD experience I loved my Subie

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJBemalU9Kh4nnqS4H8b6sbIieBiewlXq5oxYCVVbgWYnJAzMxgYDbA9uIHm5VcL