1 2
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/22/24 9:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I actually parked beside an SS two days ago - the first one I've seen in a very long time. They're such an anonymous looking sedan, they're a great Q ship. I'm a little more partial to the G8 styling-wise, but no matter what I do love a Commodore with a big engine.

A coworker has a black and white Chevy PPV (another Holden with a Chevy badge) and I know it can be a challenge to get some parts. They're all low volume cars in the US and the Australian factories are all shut down.

Ok, found it.

Check out the work Garaithon did swapping his G8 to LS3 power.   Very well done.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/dd-g8/196497/page1/

Link

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/24 9:14 p.m.

They're the greatest American sedan of all time, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/22/24 11:22 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

They're the greatest Australian sedan of all time, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Fixed that for you :)

Fun read for GRM people: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
5/23/24 11:53 a.m.

The LT (current Gen V) 6.2 V8's have pump issues as well, although they're borderline rare, and it seems they were mostly centered around pre '20 engines.  The pumps have a brittle housing and can hairline crack over time thanks to being made of cheap metal, until eventually the pressure bleeds off hard enough to slag the internals.  Some pumps die in a few thousand miles of new, some last hundreds of thousands of miles.  Nobody seems to know if certain driving habits exacerbate it.  Katech is the aftermarket replacement droid for that one.

I have an ingrained habit by now of spot-checking the pressure on my 2020 Camaro at idle on hot days to make sure it's not in the danger zone.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kxRVmlPxVFYULW6FbPkXKvCMjLBcFVQfKMA3BIQwYRpcghasPLocbxj5XiBE5yT4