1 2 3
HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/3/11 10:06 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: Isn't a Boxster a woman's car? :-) Did you ever see that one episode of Two and a Half Men. Crazy Charlie's brother Allan gets a Boxster andthe whole shoe evolves around it being a "women's car". LOL!! But then, the only person I know who owns a Boxster is a woman. She's my dentist :-)

I'd rather drive a Miata over a Boxster, and that says a LOT!

nervousdog
nervousdog Reader
3/3/11 10:37 p.m.

I'd like to own a Boxster. I had started to look at used ones about 2 years ago. Had to put it on hold after a job change but it will happen one day.

Maroon92 wrote: If anyone developed a cost effective Suby swap kit, I am sure they would sell the hell out of them.

Looks like someone is doing just that.

WRX / STI swap

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
3/3/11 10:47 p.m.

I'm not much a fan of Boxsters, but that red one puts ideas into my head.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
3/3/11 11:05 p.m.

How much is a hard top for one? Wow they are cheap. Hmmm.

precisionchassis
precisionchassis None
3/7/11 10:19 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: How much is a hard top for one? Wow they are cheap. Hmmm.

There are different options for hard tops. For street cars, the factory hard tops are best because they allow you to retain the windows and related seals. Process on those range from $800-$1200 depending on location. Because of their size and weight, shipping is VERY EXPENSIVE.

The aftermarket offers fiberglass options, but because they are geared towards race cars (no provisions for window seals, latches, or headliner) they don't really work for street cars.

precisionchassis
precisionchassis New Reader
3/7/11 10:21 p.m.
nervousdog wrote: I'd like to own a Boxster. I had started to look at used ones about 2 years ago. Had to put it on hold after a job change but it will happen one day.
Maroon92 wrote: If anyone developed a cost effective Suby swap kit, I am sure they would sell the hell out of them.
Looks like someone is doing just that. WRX / STI swap

Yes, look for the test car to be on the track for the first time in a few months...

There is a lot of information that ANY potential Boxster owner should know before making a purchase, and not all of it can be found on the internet... at least not all of the internet information is accurate.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
3/8/11 7:04 a.m.

Hella Hot! ... I want this!

simplecat
simplecat New Reader
3/8/11 7:38 a.m.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2253423812.html

i'll just leave this here. Not mine, but damn.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
3/8/11 8:34 a.m.

When I've shopped for them, I've seen a lot with top problems. A worn top is normal for any convertible, but they seem to have more than their share of electrical gremlins, motor failures, alignment issues, etc. That kind of stuff drives me nuts. And it can be incredibly expensive to have someone fix. I really hate power convertible tops.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
3/8/11 9:02 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I have a friend who stuck a 3.6 in one.

This, plus...

killerkane wrote: I'd like one but am afraid of the maintainence, although I would prefer the coupe version instead, aka the Cayman.

I'm not a Porsche guy, so I don't know much about it. But I was bench racing this idea a week or so ago. Kinda. 3.8 engine, but you get the idea. I'd love to do it someday, but too much money for me.

For inspiration:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20061124/free/61120020

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/8/11 9:02 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I still can't get over the fact that the amount of front overhang that these cars have and there is no engine up there. They have a nose like a toucan.

IIRC the show car didn't have that much overhang. I also liked the Audi TT show car better than the car they made.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
3/8/11 9:24 a.m.

German cars are pretty expensive to maintain. I know people say E36 BMW's aren't bad but all my friends who own them end up dumping cash into them, sooner or later. I hear the same stories about Porsches.

That's what keeps me from them.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/8/11 9:51 a.m.

My favorite Boxster of all time...yet...

jeffmx5
jeffmx5 Reader
3/8/11 11:39 a.m.

The low entry price for a Porsche has always drawn me to them - and the fact that it is mid-engine doesn't hurt. But the possibility of the huge expense of a motor rebuild/replacement turns me off. I still window shop, though.

There is some internet chatter about dropping in a Audi/Porsche Cayenne V8 or Audi V6TT that should bolt right up to the Boxster transaxle. And the ever-present LS1 swap. I'd prefer the Cayenne V8 or Audi twin-turbo, just to keep it in the family, so to speak.

I've seen a picture of a LS1 mocked up in the engine bay, but I never did see it as a running example.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/8/11 11:40 a.m.

I've been something of a Porsche fanboi since I owned my first classic Beetle as a teenager. (Long time ago.)

A 911 is a bucket-list car for me, but I love them all, really, even the water-cooled 4's.

I love the idea of the Boxster, especially in "S" trim, but perhaps even more as a coupe.

If I had the money, though, I'd probably put it towards an S2000.

Tom F
Tom F New Reader
3/8/11 8:19 p.m.
nervousdog wrote: I'd like to own a Boxster. I had started to look at used ones about 2 years ago. Had to put it on hold after a job change but it will happen one day.

This changes EVERYTHING

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/8/11 8:29 p.m.

Zeintop.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/8/11 8:38 p.m.

I saw a Zeintop Boxster at NASA Nats a few years ago, and it looked way nice in person.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/8/11 8:44 p.m.

I've considered buying a Zeintop and just hanging on to it until I find the right Boxster.

Get one in a common color and just keep replacing the Boxster beneath it!

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
3/8/11 9:24 p.m.

Wow, veddy nice. How much does that top go for?

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/9/11 9:23 a.m.

$3500

imirk
imirk New Reader
3/9/11 2:36 p.m.
Woody wrote: $3500

OOOOFF!

Stavros
Stavros New Reader
3/9/11 5:04 p.m.
Wonkothesane wrote: I had a 97, and found the steering feedback and suspension to be completely uninspiring compared to my Miata...

Funny after tracking my suspension modified miata and a friends stock base boxster at Laguna Seca I had the exact opposite impression. I could rotate the boxster at will and it had higher grip levels.

Since then I sold the Miata and got a 986S for street and backup track duty.

There are plenty of warning signs for an IMS bearing failure, you just need to know a mechanic who knows what to look for, like cam deviation and oil filter analysis. The issues can be corrected, and then you don't have to worry about a the engine randomly grenading.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
3/9/11 9:25 p.m.

I agree with Wonko, but I've only driven early (weaksauce) Boxsters and both of my Miatas have been fairly modified. I found driving an early Boxster back to back with an early 996 was eye opening. Despite the similarities in appearance, the driving experience of the 911 was so much better.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
3/10/11 8:14 a.m.

A couple of years ago my neighbor did a fun to drive comparison test between the '99 Boxster he owned and a MazdaSpeed Miata he had borrowed for an extended test drive. We both much preferred the Miata.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U7a7HXIFaJYMUSwS04aVCjqtyjZkZzEvNCRINmC73cxetxyHEMDQ3t6n0mUhmNuF