CJK440
CJK440 New Reader
9/6/24 10:50 a.m.

I have a 2017 T/A 392, 6 speed, 275 indy 500 tires, 6 pot brembos and 2pc rotors up front, factory bilstiens all around and a lower stance from the factory. It's probably one of the top Challenger models for track days. I know its a big car but I love it. I've been using it at a number of HPDE's at Lime Rock and want to tinker with the car a bit. Of course the majority of the guidance you find is drag racing improvements. I did find a thread here dating back to 2018 but imagine there is more experience with these now. 

As of today the car is stock with a front STB on its way. Anybody running one have thoughts on what could use improvement on these cars?

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
9/6/24 12:31 p.m.

Following

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
9/6/24 12:49 p.m.

I have no experience with these on track, but I must say that is a good looking car you've got there.    

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/7/24 7:35 a.m.

A 392 T/A wide body is one of my dream cars.

Good to see some on the track, honestly I see more Challengers on track. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 Dork
9/7/24 7:46 a.m.

In reply to CJK440 :

I'm just here to say hello from a fellow CT resident!  There are several of us on here.  I can't help with the Challenger but the car culture here runs pretty strong.  Neat car!

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/7/24 9:33 a.m.

We had a Challenger come to the UTCC a few years ago and we did a video on it: 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
9/7/24 2:01 p.m.

This is no help, but all the Challengers I've seen at track days typically are (of course) really fast down the straights, but park it in the turns, and only go about three laps at a time before pitting (maybe to catch the driver's breath?). It's my guess that all of that is not a car problem (other than the straight line performance), but a driver problem.

Cool car that you have there!

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
9/7/24 7:33 p.m.

I've seen a handful at TNiA usually in novice and slower intermediate group.  This means to me that if people start becoming serious they consider a different platform.  That being said, there are certainly worse choices, one of the fastest guys at our time trial events is usually doing it in a Chevrolet SS with big horsepower, so they can be made to go fast i'm sure...  if you decide a build thread or post some track videos i'll certainly follow and watch along.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/7/24 9:19 p.m.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I honestly wouldn't do a lot.  Make sure you have race brakes fluid and pads.  From there just drive and enjoy.  The Challenger isn't really a good track car.  It's set up to go straight.  If you want that platform, there are versions of the Charger far better suited.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/8/24 10:05 a.m.

Love it!!!!   This is somthing I would do!!!  Big heavy cars can be made to Handel. I would speak to Koni and ask them what they recommend for shocks and struts.   Lee use to work there and was a wealth of information. I think he retired so I don't have a name for you to ask for. Just ask to speak to a technical advisor.  I don't know who has the hot setup for springs these days.  A progressive spring set up that lowers the roll center and that are matched to the Konis would be a good start. As for sway bars again I don't know who to use but you want them to work with the other suspension parts you select.   

I would also add brake ducting. You are going to want to focus on keeping the brakes cool. Same goes for motor, dif and trans temps. At very least have a way to monitor them and add cooling solutions as needed. 

Lastly HAVE FUN!!!!  Don't listen to the nay sayers about driving your car on the track. Get out and have fun and wave at them as you go by. You will get a lot of negativity from armchair racers. Just smile and then go have a blast on track!!!  

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/8/24 10:42 a.m.
Chris Tropea said:

We had a Challenger come to the UTCC a few years ago and we did a video on it: 

Don't forget this article!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/buyer-guide-2008-dodge-challenger/

I'm no Dodge guru, how much of what is talked about in that article is already done to the 2017s?

I had a student with a scat pack version of that at Watkins Glen.   It was a heap of fun! 

-----

By now, your shocks are probably starting to get a bit worn, so it makes sense to get an upgrade when you do it.  I would be surprised if Koni doesn't have an good match, but if you're serious about it, maybe FatCat Motorsports can help with some custom valved Bilstiens?  I have a set on my Miata and I'm very happy compared to the off-the-shelf versions.

Other than keep having fun, the brakes are my largest concern because that's a bunch of mass to slow down, so good pads and frequent flushes with good DOT 4 would be my main starting point.

I'll second the welcome from CT!  I instruct with MassTuning, hopefully I'll see you out there and get to go for a ride!

9/8/24 12:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Lastly HAVE FUN!!!!  Don't listen to the nay sayers about driving your car on the track. Get out and have fun and wave at them as you go by. You will get a lot of negativity from armchair racers. Just smile and then go have a blast on track!!!  

From my perspective, neither a nay say or an armchair driver. I have a lot of track experience with the challenger. By its nature, it is not a track car.  The charger is more suited. However, you absolutely can improve the Challenger and absolutely should put it on a track.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
9/8/24 3:09 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
dean1484 said:

From my perspective, neither a nay say or an armchair driver. I have a lot of track experience with the challenger. By its nature, it is not a track car.  The charger is more suited. However, you absolutely can improve the Challenger and absolutely should put it on a track.

I'm curious what makes the charger more suited than the challenger.....I thought they were damn near identical except for the door count.  A challenger widebody with the NA 6.4L/6-speed should be about the best handler car from that range, no?

Either way, the Challenger pictured looks awesome.  It's my favorite of the newer muscler cars if you don't own multiple vehicles.  Quiet on the highway, can seat 4 adults (unlike the Mustang or Camaro) and in the higher trim packages it absolutely rips. 

9/8/24 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Same platform, fraternal twins.  Charger has a slightly longer wheelbase.  I'm not exactly sure how the suspension setup is different, but the Challenger is a lot softer. It's not set up for road course racing.  The charger handles pretty well right out of the box. In hellcat form it's damn good.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/8/24 6:09 p.m.

Cool car, get out there and enjoy it.

I don't know the magic combo, but I would focus on reliability before speed. Make sure the cooling system is up to the task, etc.

Brake ducts and bigger tires would top my list of changes.  Find out what the 'trick' alignment spec is. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/8/24 8:43 p.m.

Keiichi Tsuchiya drove one at one of the popular Japanese tracks and IIRC he found the brakes to be not all that great at first, and then they were useless after a couple laps.

Lots of power, lots of weight, puts a lot of BTUs in the brakes.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/8/24 9:27 p.m.

Like any big car the first thing to work on is the brakes; i.e. making sure they work for a full session.

Other than that I'd drive it and have a blast.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/8/24 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Heh.  My Volvo has the same brakes as an STI/Evo X (larger rear calipers/pads, even) and it's amazing how much an additional 500-700lb makes them feel pretty crappy, like "smoking and useless after 2 miles of country roads" crappy.

Were I to track it, the first thing I'd do would be to upgrade the fronts to Focus RS takeoffs or something even bigger.  And ducting, lots of ducting.

CJK440
CJK440 New Reader
9/11/24 1:15 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Cool car, get out there and enjoy it.

I don't know the magic combo, but I would focus on reliability before speed. Make sure the cooling system is up to the task, etc.

Brake ducts and bigger tires would top my list of changes.  Find out what the 'trick' alignment spec is. 

I haven't noticed any temp issues during 20 min sessions in summer. This car does have ducts coming from below the grille but learned about some control arm deflectors Mopar shipped with Redeye's that are supposed to deflect the air better.

Alignment is something I need to look into, I assume its factory spec. 

Not sure how much I can cram in for a tire. Will continue to go thru the ones I got for now, they are 340 tw so I'm sure some opportunity there. 

CJK440
CJK440 New Reader
9/11/24 3:01 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Like any big car the first thing to work on is the brakes; i.e. making sure they work for a full session.

Other than that I'd drive it and have a blast.

Yes, I changed to good DOT 4 and slip in the OE brembo pads for track day. Its got the largest brakes avail with 15.4 rotors and 6 piston calipers up front and 13.7 and 4 piston rears. I have not noticed the brakes fading during my track sessions but I am also sorta new and could also be my tires giving up before maxing out the brakes. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nrM7OV3udXmmwntjKBPyOyXlPNgXIlPjxlWkR6fCFo7ArjHB46v4FPBDNGITqApz