friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/2/12 6:23 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Who are the bottom left guy, the black woman, and the two guys below her. The bottom guy in that column looks really familiar, but I can't quite place him.

Bottom left: Nikolai Tesla. Black woman: Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Same column as Ms. Ali, Thomas Paine & Christopher Hitchens.

Salanis wrote:

I like that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTSaezB4p8

Worked on the Manhattan Project, and the Shuttle Challenger disaster investigation? Amazing guy.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
5/2/12 6:35 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: I'd have the Maserati 1000 times over.

It's a Maserati It's a Maserati It's a gettin' hotty It's a Maserati, Maserati, Maserati It's a fast one too man, that thing's turbocharged You feel like a little fuel injection honey? I'll tell ya about it, I'll tell you about it I'll check out the hood scoop I gotta get that hood scoop off shine and shine and buff I gotta buff it up, buff it up buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,

Yeah, shiny now baby, heh heh heh You've been drivin' all night long It's time to put the old Maserati away So you look for a garage, you think you see a garage Wait a minute, Hey!, there's one up ahead And the damn thing's open Hello! Get in there!

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/2/12 6:58 p.m.

I don't really get why Ali and Hitchens are in that montage there - all the others are great scientists. As far as my understanding goes, the great contributions that Ali and Hitchens made are in the area of staunch Atheism. A quick search shows that someone actually replaced two others who deserved to be on the image - Sir Isaac Newton and Gertrude Elion.

Though I'd probably include this guy too.

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
5/2/12 7:12 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Maserati -- ....and it's stunt double --

Not the only time...

Mabye just wishful thinking though.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/2/12 7:33 p.m.
Gasoline wrote:

That movie was AWESOME!!! James Taylor must have two lines in the whole movie.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
5/2/12 8:01 p.m.

Htz? Though if I could find a picture of the Michelson-Morley experiment (the failure that changed the world), I would.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/2/12 10:15 p.m.

Bet you can't do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fij90mrItMg

Wally
Wally UltimaDork
5/3/12 12:36 a.m.

Wendell Scott at Bridgehampton

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
5/3/12 6:53 a.m.

My cool wife made this for my son Tyler for his 4th birthday.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/3/12 7:07 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: I don't really get why Ali and Hitchens are in that montage there - all the others are great scientists. As far as my understanding goes, the great contributions that Ali and Hitchens made are in the area of staunch Atheism. A quick search shows that someone actually replaced two others who deserved to be on the image - Sir Isaac Newton and Gertrude Elion. Though I'd probably include this guy too.

I can see your point that he's incredibly important, but, my opinion is that he lead more than actually developed the device. His later life was similar to Turning, though- being more of a pacifist lost his security, and he was labled a red. Man, the paranoia in the 50's.

This guy- we even found his burial site in Florence, along with a TON of other famous Italian scientists.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/3/12 7:19 a.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/3/12 7:19 a.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/3/12 7:24 a.m.

1975, Nurburg, Germany– Hesketh-Ford Formula One racecar driver James Hunt flies during the European Grand Prix. –Image by © Schlegelmilch/Corbis. Many of Hunt’s early races ended in disaster. Once his Formula Ford crashed and sank in the middle of a lake. He would have drowned– had he been able to afford seat belts. His skills improved, but he never conquered his fears. In the garage before a race, it often caused him to vomit– and on the grid he’d shake so violently that his car vibrated. This potent cocktail of adrenaline and testosterone made him a fierce competitor on the track. via

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/3/12 9:46 a.m.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/3/12 9:57 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:

Is there a tiny chance that we recognize the faces of television personalities because their faces are on TV? And maybe we can appreciate the accomplishments of the great minds of the world without having to recognize their generally ugly faces?

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
5/3/12 10:10 a.m.

Maybe scientists need to throw drinks in each other's faces and start pulling hair at Nobel Awards dinner more often.

And I had to look up who Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Christopher Hitchens were. I fail to understand what they are doing on that list with the other, much more significant people.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
5/3/12 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

Maybe... but if you can't recognize Einstein, you're probably hopeless.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
5/3/12 10:19 a.m.

I forget if this is a repost. It seems appropriate though.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/3/12 1:40 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Is there a tiny chance that we recognize the faces of television personalities because their faces are on TV? And maybe we can appreciate the accomplishments of the great minds of the world without having to recognize their generally ugly faces?

You might be onto something there. I wonder how many people would recognize the names, if they were in a list. I'm sure most people would recognize people such as Newton, but how many would recognize Goddard or Crick & Watson? I think Carl Sagan was the last "popular" (by pop-culture status, anyway) scientist..with the possible exception of Hawking.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
5/3/12 2:58 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Should I consider myself lucky I have no idea at all who this is?
No, you should consider yourself intelligent. Scares me to death that my own daughter was the one to tell me what a "snookie" was. She actually *knew*. I'm a failure as a parent.

a: what is a "snookie" ( I don't have a daughter to help educate me ) and while I know who several of the people on the left are .... who the heck is the one on the right that I'm suppose to know ?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/3/12 3:37 p.m.
wbjones wrote: a: what is a "snookie" ( I don't have a daughter to help educate me ) and while I know who several of the people on the left are .... who the heck is the one on the right that I'm suppose to know ?

The funny thing is I only know what a (not who) a Snookie is because I waste too much of my time here. I've never heard or seen her outside of the GRM Forums, but then I don't watch much TV and don't follow pop culture.

Somehow this hotlink seems appropriate

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/3/12 3:55 p.m.

This is Thomas Pynchon. I've read several of his books but had no idea what he looked like until I googled images of him.

This is Pauly D. I have no idea who he is or what he does other than he is affiliated with a reality show. I've not read any of his books, but I recognize him.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
5/3/12 3:58 p.m.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/3/12 4:07 p.m.

I'm not sure this page can be salvaged.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/3/12 4:22 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners