Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/23 7:10 p.m.

Lemon Pepper Old Bay Wet...

Fried in avocado oil and 2 tsp of  salted butter in cast iron then finishing it in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes after a hard fry on a thick piece of chicken is legit, especially when you have a skin that may be hard fried, but it has a sticky sweet honey sauce to take the bite out of the dry of the hard fry...but it's also spicer then the dry seasoning, other than the crushed red pepper that's suspended in it and wasn't on the chicken while frying or put on prior to the honey drizzle. Pre fry you hit it with lemon herb old bay and crushed black pepper. After the fry you do more lemon herb old bay and lemon pepper seasoning (I used Neva Enough's lemon pepper blend) then you hit it with the extra spicy hot honey and crushed red pepper.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/22/23 8:46 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/3/23 8:16 a.m.

No recipe, but a good soup.  Aldi is a German owned company and I understand this soup they carry is excellent.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/7/23 8:09 a.m.

Too damn hot to cook last night.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/7/23 10:46 a.m.

Looking at the stuff in this thread convinces me that some of you folks need to have me over for dinner.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/7/23 3:40 p.m.

Well if you want to drive 9 hours for what I got .....

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/7/23 4:36 p.m.

This dinner was so easy and so good we can't believe it. 
We ate almost an entire chicken between the two of us. 

Get a jar, or make your own, Tikka masala curry paste. Smear it all over the chicken, then with what is remaining on your hands, smear that on cut up potatoes and cauliflower. Put the veggies in a dish on the bottom rack of the oven. Put the chicken directly on the rack just above so everything drips into the veggies. Cook at 350. 
Unbelievable. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/23 7:22 p.m.

I have a professional chef in the house and a wife that was a big event planner for years and a kiddo that loves cooking too.  I do the outdoor cooking.

Todays appetizer was smoked salmon and smoked cream cheese covered in jalapeño jelly.  It got good reviews.  A smoked sirloin is for dinner in a bit.

And kiddo and I also added homemade candied jalapeños.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/23 7:25 p.m.

Smoked chicken from Labor Day.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/18/23 7:56 a.m.

We got this Ron Popeil looking device a while back, hardly used it though.  Yesterday I wanted fries with the little steaks I pulled out for dinner.  

It comes with three blades, I used the one that makes 3/16" spiral cuts; I soaked the spuds in salted water for an hour or two to remove starch.  Well,  I'm here, so lets twits off a small zucchini and make some tempura batter!

What I won't do next time is put the finished food in the over at 300* to warm up while I cook steaks on the grill.  The zucchini and yellow pepper did OK because they had some moisture, but the spuds came out like tasty little match sticks.  You know, I'll bet those sticks would be excellent atop a burger, like redneck lettuce.

Ih yeah, if you like horseradish sauce, try to find this Inglehoffer.  It takes your breath away!

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
9/23/23 5:14 p.m.

Tacos al pastor coming up

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/27/23 11:01 a.m.

Chicken Fingaz!

Trish is going to sit with the grand kiddie while Dad has a few night meetings and Mom is in the hospital.  Ended up filling three trays.  Bake 10 minutes, cool, toss in the freezer on the tray & bag once solid.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/28/23 7:25 a.m.

From the bottom up:

Fried Toastada

Diced Chipotle in Mayo

Sushi grade Tuna

Avocado slices

Sliced Leeks, separate the rings and deep fry

Drizzle the whole thing with 50/50 Soy & orange juice.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/12/23 7:14 p.m.

No pics, but baked Salmon. 

Spritz fish with Olive Oil.

Mix together 1 tsp each of:

Paprika

Cumin
Salt

Thyme

1 Tblsp. Brown Sugar

Sprinkle over fish, cook at 350* for 25 minutes.

In lieu of salt (too much is bad for you) use Olde Canadian Steak Rub.

A hint of sweet & spicy, gotta try this on ribs next weekend.  =~ )

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
10/14/23 5:14 p.m.

stuffed Garlic bread crust pizza 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
10/26/23 7:26 p.m.

5 dozen chocolate chip cookies, with orange and black icing, for the scout party tomorrow.

If I ever think of making colored powdered sugar icing again, please, hit me with a car. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/1/23 10:08 a.m.

I bake the bacon, not as messy as a pan on the stove.  From an old episode of Gomer Pyle USMC, I learned to sprinkle a little sugar on the bacon when cooking.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
11/11/23 7:58 p.m.

Didn't know what to make for dinner, so made pepperoni rolls for lunch. Needs more pepperoni. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/12/23 10:09 a.m.
RevRico said:

stuffed Garlic bread crust pizza 

That looks amazing.  Recipe please.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
11/12/23 5:06 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I just used jarred sauce from a local place, and regular string cheese. 

Tonight's dinner, brown plate boring I know. Gator cubes, butterfly shrimp, and (store brand boxed)mac n cheese. The youngest, who has complained about every meal for so long I'm about to put her on a PB&J only diet, absolutely loved it. Then completely lost her E36 M3 when we told her what it was. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/12/23 5:20 p.m.

Thanks sir - will try that one shortly.  Currently finishing hour 7 of Marcella Hazan's Bolognese.  Not photogenic but delicious.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/19/23 8:26 a.m.

Well you know it's coming ......

Turkey Corn Chowdah.

In a pot, Saute' in oil until tender:

1 clove of diced garlic,

1/4 cup diced onion 

2 celery stalks, sliced

1 medium carrot, sliced

Now add:

1 cup diced Turkey (both dark & white

1/2 cup diced potato

15 oz. frozen corn

2 cups Chicken Broth

1/2 tsp of each salt & pepper

1/2 tsp Thyme

Bring this to almost a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the warm soup mix to 2 cups of Heavy Cream in a separate bowl, a little at a time.

Now return it all to the cooking pot, heat & serve.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/20/23 6:56 p.m.

Local place had a good deal on prime rib roasts so we grabbed a couple and threw them in the freezer. Well, one of the packages somehow got damaged and one of the roasts had freezer burn. PW was grossed out but i said, don't worry, I'll cut it off, roast it and we can use it for sandwiches. They were cheap enough that I wanted to do that anyway, but she has this hangup about only doing prime rib roasts chef style. So IMO, it worked out. And the freezer burn was so minimal I left it.

So I roasted it while I was making breakfast tbhis morning, put it in the fridge and pulled it out just before dinner to slice it up. I think it turned out perfectly.

That's a fat stack of beef. We served it on buns with sautéed onions and green pepper. I toss a little Montréal steak spice in with the veggies and that really ramps the flavour up. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the sandwiches, but I did take a pic of the sticky onion tart she made while I was taking care of the beef. It was our first time making this and we at the entire thing. It was incredible.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/21/23 2:22 p.m.

Are you a fan of Scotch Eggs?   You will be.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/22/23 6:41 p.m.

Well I Suck!  NFW to peel a semi raw egg!  
The video recipe is spicy meat, but the egg thing no good.

I ended up making egg salad of the parts, folding it into the sausage and baked them at 350 vs deep fry.

If you find a a way to peel a half cooked egg please do a video.

But spicy meat ....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uDFBcNOBerq7oF6u12nFOU0E5Yuab6k5rIvT5aa9LejkkIvFhpvKqCPHkzDVqvMf