7 8 9
NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
9/30/24 6:48 p.m.

You seem like a person with some skills that is trying to work. Is this a geography issue? I work at a factory in CNY and we are taking people with zero experience at all and employing them. Maybe not great pay but over $21 / hour with excellent benefits. We are hiring people almost every week and loosing people to other local jobs. 
Full disclosure if I wanted a job equal to my current role I would probably have to move, maybe you are in a place where any job that isn't an inside deal isn't going to happen?

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/30/24 7:06 p.m.

Have you applied to any tower climbing jobs? They're always looking to hire. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/30/24 11:15 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

We definitely have it worse than the US right now in Canada due to a weaker economy and a reserve army of the unemployed that's been overstuffed on the bottom end with kids on student visas.

I used to live in a place with probably the most inside-deal-driven job market on the planet so I know what that looks like, and there was nothing keeping randos from getting basic jobs there, so I don't think the lack of connections is a major issue.

I think something that's hurting me personally is the tech industry being a smoking crater beneath an AI-generated-resume firefight, thus making it pretty much impossible to get a tech job, and companies outside of tech being oblivious to that taking a look at my resume and thinking "there's no point hiring this guy, he'll leave for a job at Google within a month!'

But I'm also starting to think that through automation and centralization economies are beginning to reach the point where there are clearly just not enough jobs for the number of qualified people looking for work, and it's just hitting Canada earlier than most. Recently I've seen some hints that it may be starting to reach the US too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/30/24 11:16 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I've seen a few but they require training/certs/licenses I don't have.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/1/24 9:52 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

In reply to NY Nick :

We definitely have it worse than the US right now in Canada due to a weaker economy and a reserve army of the unemployed that's been overstuffed on the bottom end with kids on student visas.

But I'm also starting to think that through automation and centralization economies are beginning to reach the point where there are clearly just not enough jobs for the number of qualified people looking for work, and it's just hitting Canada earlier than most. Recently I've seen some hints that it may be starting to reach the US too.

Our economy was seriously mismanaged in the last decade, and It's gone from boom to bust very quickly. It's very difficult to find work right now. Those places that were screaming for workers and paying $25/hr for entry level factory jobs are reducing shifts and laying off, fast food isn't hiring, and restaurants are closing. Some of my coworkers relatives, immigrants, have been looking for work over a year. He's right, it's bad here right now.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/1/24 11:14 a.m.

^ What they said.

Nobody wants to spend money right now. Businesses are all hurting because people are watching their pennies.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
10/1/24 1:33 p.m.
ShawnG said:

^ What they said.

Nobody wants to spend money right now. Businesses are all hurting because people are watching their pennies.

We have 17 open positions ranging from accounting to welding to electrical to assembly.  Booked out for all of 2025.  

Some markets are hurting but industrial equipment is not one of them.

grover
grover Dork
10/1/24 2:02 p.m.

I'd love to move into industrial sales but have never found an opening. I'm comfortable most anywhere- but I'm a machine guy at heart and I'm getting over software. 

if anyone ever know of an opening I'd be all ears and I live close to an airport. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
10/1/24 2:30 p.m.

I work in higher education which some bracing for school closing and others are cutting back. We are all wearing several hats and are understaffed. My wife is looking for a job in accounting and/or payroll and she is finding it difficult (typically now is when they staff for the busy season Dec-April).  The job market reminds me of 2006-08, I had just graduated from college and couldn't get a interview for a fulltime job. I ended up moving back to my hometown and had 3 part time jobs for almost 2 years before I finally was able to land a full time job. My sister who has held some high ranking positions in big companies is also having trouble finding work. She thinks that companies were posting with no intention of hiring and collecting ERC, perhaps that will stop since it wasn't renewed.  Atleast in Ohio there is future growth in the future, intel moving the microchip plant I think is going to increase some growth, but I would like to see some more aggressive futuristic plans by politicians, investors and businesses.  To many old bodies in washington hopefully that starts to clear out as well.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/1/24 9:55 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Things might be different here in soviet Canuckistan.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/24 12:45 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

In reply to NY Nick :

I used to live in a place with probably the most inside-deal-driven job market on the planet so I know what that looks like, and there was nothing keeping randos from getting basic jobs there, so I don't think the lack of connections is a major issue.

I think something that's hurting me personally is the tech industry being a smoking crater beneath an AI-generated-resume firefight, thus making it pretty much impossible to get a tech job, and companies outside of tech being oblivious to that taking a look at my resume and thinking "there's no point hiring this guy, he'll leave for a job at Google within a month!'

AI isn't taking your job opportunities in Tech. I suspect it's more you don't have the exact skills and level of experience in them that companies want. And that's not meant to be an insult.

It took me 8 years being a Tech Writer in manufacturing, defense, software UI testing for cranes, and aerospace to get my current gig at NetSuite. With a degree in writing (Journalism).

What AI is doing for us is making mundane, busy work easier so we can focus on work that is much more difficult for AI to even get close to.

And there are a lot of AI programs and such we can't even use because due to the fear or proprietary information hitting servers that aren't ours.

7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IvFY3iM30l5gREo6EntUA2SylgggKrmBPPhQXT4ocIZDKrnV2f9fODckjLmp4vGX