Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/24 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad nothing seems to have escaped out the split seam. When I saw the picture I assumed the 10mms had punched their way out. 

The taxis are a nice quick build.  The wire, owners manual, and Dale Earnhardt plaque were from previous year's boxes. I somehow have a couple more of the plaques.  The socket holders come in handy, I ended up with a few of them. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/30/24 8:54 p.m.

My box made it here a few weeks ago from Shawnee Creek in Michigan. Unfortunately life got hectic but I got to open it last week and it was worth the wait. First thing upon opening the box, was another box. Hand crafted from the finest preowned steel by Patrick (Angry Corvair). It was folded and welded to fit neatly into a post office box.  

The top layer was a fitting book, the Wheels on the Bus. Without them we go nowhere.

Below that was a gauge face, for what I'm not sure. Then came perhaps on of the best laughs I've had in a while. I was opening this with my girlfriend, who wonders about the various odd internet friends of mine she's met.  We had earlier been talking about funeral stuff, weird things that happened like the cemetery screwing up the base for the headstone so we saw Jodi's vault a year later we etc, when we were gifted our own casket key.  She's become a fan of all of you as well. 

Below that were some brake pads for heft, bicycle tools and instructions, a healthy supply of Classic Motorsports stickers and a Napa filter

A Bugatti pin in a fancy package that has been used as a tie tac a couple times already 

A very nicely done book on celebrities and their cars, in a box.  I'm looking forward to reading this shortly  

Also in the box but not pictured because I've accidentally deleted the post twice already, were a Honda and a Vega matchbox. I love little hatchbacks, more stickers, what I think is a cat toy, and couple other little parts, spark plug, and a travel size WD40 tube. 

Thank you Shawnee and Bill for organizing what continues to be one of my favorite holiday traditions. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/31/24 12:06 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

You guys! Jesse delivers!

firstly, legacy box

so many stickers!

koozies and apparel

candy, tools (including the 10mm master set!)

Car parts, both new and used, including a rather large motor mount I don't recognize and a well used connecting rod. Abrasive cutting things! Candy, hot wheels, small clamps, big clamps... so much awesome!

And two carbon fiber things, one is real, and the other is going in my next project:

What a spread!

Thanks! This is possibly the best lot I've received yet!

Glad you enjoyed the box! I had fun throwing it together. Lots of little bits picked up around the house/shop and some regifts from boxes past. The carbon bits are regifts from gearheadotaku.

The motor mount is Toyota 20R/22R...I don't remember which side. The aluminum catch can was the smallest I could find which I bought for an insanely-tightly-packaged Aprilia motorcycle I owned a while back and never got around to installing, and found quite a while after the bike was gone.

The G-Tech meter is one my dad bought which he and I used to play around with at autocross and trackdays back in the 90's...I think it still works. I'm moving to a new (yet to be found) shop, so the cutoff tool and some of the hardware is stuff I no longer have room for. The rotor and water outlet are Chevy IIRC.

The Toyota buzzer fits a bunch of 80's stuff, Land Cruiser, toaster van, AE86, probably more. The little oil filter fits some KTM and possibly other European motorcycles. The Hella hat is an awesome regift...I would have kept it except people tell me yellow isn't my color (I know nothing about such things.) The sweet Porsche and German language stickers are from my workplace. 

I really need to post the unboxing of the box I received...hopefully tomorrow!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
1/31/24 5:34 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

My box made it here a few weeks ago from Shawnee Creek in Michigan. Unfortunately life got hectic but I got to open it last week and it was worth the wait.

The top layer was a fitting book, the Wheels on the Bus. Without them we go nowhere.

Below that was a gauge face, for what I'm not sure. Then came perhaps on of the best laughs I've had in a while. I was opening this with my girlfriend, who wonders about the various odd internet friends of mine she's met.  We had earlier been talking about funeral stuff, weird things that happened like the cemetery screwing up the base for the headstone so we saw Jodi's vault a year later we etc, when we were gifted our own casket key.  She's become a fan of all of you as well. 

A Bugatti pin in a fancy package that has been used as a tie tac a couple times already 

A very nicely done book on celebrities and their cars, in a box.  I'm looking forward to reading this shortly  

Thank you Shawnee and Bill for organizing what continues to be one of my favorite holiday traditions. 

I'm glad the box was worth the wait. My six month old son contributed the book from his large collection. The gauge faces are the stock ones from the Fiat 124 Spyder that I sold more than a year ago.

I'm glad the casket key got a really good laugh. I was a little nervous about sending it. I think I came across it while cleaning out a relative's house after they died. I thought, "Well, that's a weird, random thing to own and to have gotten in such a fancy box. I must have it and include it in my next GRM NYG box." So I did, and now you have it.

The Bugatti pin is a regift from last year as I already have plenty of automotive pins. Enjoy the book. I know I did. Lots of interesting stories and good photography. And, yes, that was a cat toy from our two cats, for extra rattle in the box.

- Sean

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/31/24 7:22 a.m.

Delivered: front door/porch

Jan 29th, 2024, 3:08PM

Now we wait.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/24 9:34 a.m.

armored flat rate box is my signature move. i'm stoked that the first one is still in play.

preach
preach UltraDork
1/31/24 5:14 p.m.

I always reuse the previous years box I receive, yet I cannot draw and I am not cool enough to think about the zip list.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/1/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

The key was really funny, I already made a coworker uncomfortable with it too. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
2/1/24 2:14 p.m.

Well, son of a gun. I finally, finally got my outgoing box in the mail today, and, as if guided by dee-vine intervention, my incoming box arrived at home just this morning. And it ain't even President's Day yet. Happy days!

I'm real sorry to keep my victim waiting so long this year. This had been a rough month for us, logistically speaking. But you have not been forgotten. 

2/1/24 5:37 p.m.

A nice hefty box from Connecticut!

Deux...that's French for two, right? wink

Ooooh....looks good upon initial opening...I see Brembo!

License plates from KS and OK with a note that the sender is not from these places. Brembo brake pads for a 3-series or BMW Z...hmmm...perhaps I should start shopping for a BMW project now that I have the pads! laugh Sweet RockAuto magnet, and a perogi sticker...and now I'm hungry, darn it! Plastic razor blades with a note about how handy they are. I imagine these probably work well for tasks like removing stubborn decals, or maybe old gasket material stuck to soft metal? Will be fun to try them out.

Brand-new plug wires for a mystery application! I love a good mystery and some internet research, perhaps I will try to sleuth it out. Jeep JL towing plug, and an awesome set of lugnuts; score! The valve covers are interesting...I think V-valve is a Kawasaki thing, but they don't look like motorcycle...maybe from a generator? A Pulsar Rock Auto sticker...sweet! 

I don't know that I have ever gotten this much new stuff in a box before! Brake hoses, I didn't dive in yet to find the specs or fitment. Nice reflector; would be great for a trailer, mailbox, etc. Porsche club sticker, hangers, and a current tester. Sweet! Thanks!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/1/24 7:03 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad that something finally arrived there! In case you haven't figured it out, the first box that I sent out on December 29 was meant for you, but it never got past Springfield Massachusetts and still hasn't been found. I threw this box together a few weeks later. Unfortunately, I had used up most of the true crap from my garage for the first box, so I had to make do with what was left behind.

The license plates and spark plug wires are legacy items (lower case "L") from previous years' GRM games. The valve covers are indeed from a Kawasaki V-Twin. They came off the original 17hp engine on my lawnmower. It blew a head gasket and I replaced it with a 19hp crate engine. 

I never got around to installing those Brembo pads on my 2001(?) BMW Z3 before I sold it. I don't even remember if they're for the front or rear.

The brake lines, lug nuts and current tester are items that Amazon sent to me by mistake. When I asked about returning them, they said to donate them or throw them away.

There was some really cool stuff in that first box though, and hopefully it gets to you some day. If it ever does, please let me know!

2/1/24 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Thanks for the fun makeup box! If the original ever shows, I'll definitely let you know. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
2/2/24 2:48 a.m.

As mentioned earlier, my special assortment of lovingly curated cash and prizes (some restrictions apply) arrived today. Let's chunk 'er up on the operating table and give it a good sniff. Lift with your legs, boys, she's a big'un.

Aha! An clue. "2nd time is the charm." And an other clue, in the form of the unofficial GRM motto: "rattle inevitable". Can confirm, she had a little bit of the jingle jangle about her.

The first cut is made, accompanied by the first and by no means the last urgent request: "can I see?"

Is that a...no, it can't be. Well, maybe. Patience. First, the literature, and hot on their heels, some rather excellent Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. The boy can sniff these things out with speed, accuracy, and collateral damage rivaling that of a starving Doberman getting radar lock on a dropped Salisbury steak. He suddenly forgot the definition of the word "share" and announced, with conviction, that those cars were for him.

Next, a toasty-warm ice scraping mitt. I'm told I was born in Missouri, and this sort of gives me a clue as to why we didn't stay there. Also partly visible at the bottom of the pitcher is the Hammer Store Comprehensive Collector's Edition 10mm Socket Collection. Welp, there goes my standing excuse to not take on any new repair or maintenance tasks. 

There are more tools, including a 10mm end wrench and a small adjustable wrench that is somehow rusted solid, perhaps deliberately, with jaws adjusted to 10mm. The aforementioned Little Buddy patently refused to no moleste a 7/16 flippy floppy open-end and socket combination wrench. For my next funeral or mitzvah, a necktie emblazoned with an assortment of Rad-era sports cars. Also, stickers, collected and/or created by someone with a fine sense of humo(u)r.

Neatly and nearly lastly, some Quality Audio Gear in the form of a (probably also Rad-era) Radio Shack four-way speaker switch. Little Monohue took immense satisfaction in the analog pushbutton switches on the front and even more in the twenty (!) snap-action speaker wire terminals on the back.

And finally, the reason for all that road-hugging weight - break out the good paper towels, little darlin', we got us a turbocharger, a gosh-darn New Year's Game turbo. The thing passes the spin test and isn't dripping with oil, which is pretty much perfection by my (variable and seldom enforced) standards. It's an RHB5 VJ11, which the interthing suggests came from a Probe GT or MX6. I haven't seen either one in years, but I do have an MX6 intercooler stashed away somewhere for no good reason. 

I now feel the need to apologize humbly to my victim for not including a turbocharger in his box. There's always next year.

Thanks, psteav! Nice work!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
2/2/24 3:28 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Delivered: front door/porch

Jan 29th, 2024, 3:08PM

Now we wait.

Received sorry, waiting for my son to open it together per tradition. It sounds nice and rattley. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/2/24 3:38 a.m.

Man, this game is moving FAST!

If my tracker is showing correctly, we're now less than 10 boxes to go.

Cheers everyone, hope you all have a great weekend!

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/2/24 10:30 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Glad you liked everything.  Much of it (speaker selector, tools, tie) are regifts.  The tarbo is indeed from an F2T Probe/MX6, and it's been on my shelf for I don't know how long.

The "2nd time is the charm" relates to my earlier sending it to a nonexistent address some 40-odd houses away from yours.  Unfortunately, when that box came back the box had been destroyed (and it was one of MNDSM's awesome art boxes)  and the sweet early-oughts Alpine CD deck I had put in there was battered beyond use.  Thanks, USPS!  Alas.

I'm going to try to reuse some of that art box next year, possibly with an armored box inside.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
2/2/24 6:49 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

OK, I NEED one of those bumper stickers....

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/2/24 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Pm me,  tell me which ones you want

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
2/3/24 5:49 p.m.

My "Chaos Edition" box  just arrived from the PNW. Since my wife and Girl-Spawn are currently operating a Girl Scout cookie booth, the opening will happen later.

My Cobra Chickens hat also appears to have arrived from Canada on the same mail truck, and my wife and I enjoyed the good weather by walking around a couple of local parks, so it's double plus good day.

2/4/24 1:22 a.m.

Unpacking. There was a side trip to the local involved prior to this, and this box was deep, so I'm probably going to miss something.

First layer: Bobbi Sox was very curious and had to be temporarily relocated.

License plate, reusable bag, dry bag, water resistant phone holder, cloth. I sent some Smokey the Bear items away, and got more, funny how that works. 

Second layer:
A multi-meter, which I hope works, because mine died. Sticker pack,  Beef Jerky!  Pipe cleaners (always useful), a socket wrench, two grounded outlets, 

Third layer!
Toyota belt pads (going in the 4Runner for giggles), end links, a segment of spark plug wire in fashionable purple, a flag mount for a bike?, a mystery metal thing, tack cloth, Florida man sun screen, a Porsche cig lighter, exhaust parts, what looks like some sort of air/vac fitting, charger or some sort, razor blades *all over except in the dispenser*, hanger hooks (stolen by my wife) a bit of plate, GM Z71 brake cooling rings. 

A selection of tiny cars, more Toyota swag, beverages, A Box o' Dale

Inside of Dale:

Even more Toyota swag, a Ruger 10/22 magazine coupler (will be put to use), a hook, a blade sharpener, a 1/4 inch drive breaker bar, grease, random metal bits, more Toyota swag, and a bag of miscellanious bits and bobs.

And, not in the box, but since I mentioned it earlier and in following with the Checkov's Gun principle, the hat that arrived on the same truck. 

Great box, thank you very much!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
2/4/24 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Oh, no.  Those knife blades were secure when I packed them, I swear.  I really hope they don't name a rule after me.

The multimeter ran when parked.  It's a regift, along with the Florida Man sunscreen and other outdoor paraphernalia.  You need those more than I do.  The mystery metal thing is a stainless steel exhaust hanger.  That charger is for a Streamlight flashlight and the mystery air/vac fitting is a windshield washer pump from a dollar box of "misc car" at a yard sale.  Ran when parked.  What you plumb it to and whose cat you squirt it at is none of my business.

The 'loomnum pieces with dealership graphics are remnants from another life, leftovers from a discontinued policy of riveting them to the mudflaps of every mudflapped thing on the lot.  They're just clean sheet stock now.  Again, what, whose cat, etc..  Those random metal bits are oxygen sensor bosses, also handy for adding drain bungs to things like automatic transmission pans that really should have had them in the first place. 

Good luck with that 1/4" breaker bar. It's 9/32", very likely pre-war (apparently the industry standardized on 1/4" in the forties), and probably most useful as a conversation starter beginning with the phrase, "You might now know this, but..."

Your beverages are regional, and that jerky is from a butcher shop next door to our office who raises their own beef locally and have been making it for years.  May it raise your spirits through the difficult times that lay ahead.  Don't get it on your hootus.

2/4/24 4:11 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Good luck with that 1/4" breaker bar. It's 9/32", very likely pre-war (apparently the industry standardized on 1/4" in the forties), and probably most useful as a conversation starter beginning with the phrase, "You might now know this, but..."

This makes it even better!

The O2 sensor bosses might get used to help cure a pesky Catalyst bank 1 error the 4Runner is prone to throwing at the moment.

Again, overall a great box. I do appreciate it.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
2/4/24 4:47 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

The O2 sensor bosses might get used to help cure a pesky Catalyst bank 1 error the 4Runner is prone to throwing at the moment.

Again, overall a great box. I do appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Veering off topic here, but you might try the water in the intake trick detailed here i scrub the cat along with a bottle or two of Techron or Berryman B12 to clean the injectors. It won't hurt anything and may be enough to bring everything back within spec.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/6/24 10:03 p.m.

The box finally made it's way Thu the right house!

So far so good! I didn't have a WeeVee plate yet for the garage. 

Hot Wheels and stickers are always good.

Beer!!!

A Prius? MMI screen and a lifetime supply of red zip ties.

A killer MagLite, misc, and a blue tool that I can't figure out. 

There was a GTI emblem, some Mini side repeaters, a used Porsche gas cap, I think the other seat belt receiver to the one I sent out, a ton of stickers, some bolts and things. Totally cool! Thanks Chris!!!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
2/6/24 10:45 p.m.

My box, while later than I'd like, is on its way 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6ndxF7WKIg860KYXZfibSCkiFMfedvNGgpRKPeXUSshaAB2dtqB1KiBlIsTOzUg