tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 11:54 a.m.

I just got off the phone with another state senator. He thinks the 'unregulated state militia' is a bit unnecessary because we all have those same rights as individuals. In his words: "I liked what you had better" so he's proposing a law that says: Listen up federal government, as of Jan 1 2013, you no longer have the ability to regulate firearms in the state of SC.

Nice. These guys are actually listening and proposing laws based on my input...

He even told me to hang onto his cell phone number in case I wanted to talk again.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
1/25/13 11:59 a.m.

I'm a little jealous Tuna, I wrote all of my reps and senators and I haven't heard squat back.
Good on ya though, you are gettin' 'er DONE!

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 12:01 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I'm a little jealous Tuna, I wrote all of my reps and senators and I haven't heard squat back. Good on ya though, you are gettin' 'er DONE!

What state are you in?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
1/25/13 12:04 p.m.

Directly north of you in North Cakalacky.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 12:07 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Directly north of you in North Cakalacky.

Gotcha. You guys are a bit more blue than we are. I left NY to come here, and I chose VERY carefully. So now including SC there are 14 states considering this type of bill. Yours isn't one, that's probably a bad sign. Do they have phone numbers? Are you writing them all or just yours?

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/25/13 12:21 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I just got off the phone with another state senator. He thinks the 'unregulated state militia' is a bit unnecessary because we all have those same rights as individuals. In his words: "I liked what you had better" so he's proposing a law that says: Listen up federal government, as of Jan 1 2013, you no longer have the ability to regulate firearms in the state of SC. Nice. These guys are actually listening and proposing laws based on my input... He even told me to hang onto his cell phone number in case I wanted to talk again.

so then would that mean NFA items too? could make SC a very gun-owner friendly state.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
1/25/13 12:23 p.m.

We may be a tad bluer, but we went pretty red in this last election. I only wrote the reps for my districts, and they are all Republicans. They do have their phone numbers, I suppose I should call them next. I did include my phone number in the letter that I mailed, but a follow up seems in order.
Thanks for the advice Tuna

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 12:36 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I just got off the phone with another state senator. He thinks the 'unregulated state militia' is a bit unnecessary because we all have those same rights as individuals. In his words: "I liked what you had better" so he's proposing a law that says: Listen up federal government, as of Jan 1 2013, you no longer have the ability to regulate firearms in the state of SC. Nice. These guys are actually listening and proposing laws based on my input... He even told me to hang onto his cell phone number in case I wanted to talk again.
so then would that mean NFA items too? could make SC a very gun-owner friendly state.

Good question. As they are worded now, they limit the federal gov control as of jan 1, not retroactively, so probably not, although now is the time to ask for that type of thing I'd suspect.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 12:36 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: We may be a tad bluer, but we went pretty red in this last election. I only wrote the reps for my districts, and they are all Republicans. They do have their phone numbers, I suppose I should call them next. I did include my phone number in the letter that I mailed, but a follow up seems in order. Thanks for the advice Tuna

Keep us posted!

You may want to check to see if they are in session. I didn't get a ton of responses until they were.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/25/13 1:52 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
aircooled wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
tuna55 wrote: .....more dangerous/deadly cars...
....When the "you don't need to have an assault rifle" stuff came out I immediately said "Well no one needs a Ferrari and you can buy those".....
Yes, you can buy one, but you cannot operate one without a license.
You certainly CAN operate a high performance car without a licence, so long as you're doing it on completely private property. The NHRA's Jr. Dragster program would not exist if that were not the case.

That is well said.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/25/13 2:23 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
aircooled wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
....When the "you don't need to have an assault rifle" stuff came out I immediately said "Well no one needs a Ferrari and you can buy those".....
You certainly CAN operate a high performance car without a licence, so long as you're doing it on completely private property. The NHRA's Jr. Dragster program would not exist if that were not the case.
That is well said.

Same with dirt bikes. It's only if you try to operate something like that on a public street, road or highway that it becomes illegal.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/25/13 2:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Strizzo wrote:
Good question. As they are worded now, they limit the federal gov control as of jan 1, not retroactively, so probably not, although now is the time to ask for that type of thing I'd suspect.

Hey, we did it with 100 watt incandescent light bulbs too.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/25/13 3:02 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Strizzo wrote:

while it could leave things that are currently regulated by the NFA to the ATF, the way i read your description says that their authority to regulate gun ownership in SC would end on Jan 1, which to my mind would include the NFA and other ATF stuff. not that i think the federal govt would allow a state to proclaim that it is now legal to manufacture full-auto weapons now, while the law is something different in other states. BUT, it seems to be working (kinda) so far in states that have legalized marijuana.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/25/13 3:10 p.m.

IMO, it's time for the states to go back to the way it was meant to be.... the states in control, not the fed gov't. I've said this for years.... some dipE36 M3 in DC does not know what works/is needed in bumfuk Nebraska. What works for NYC, doesn't work for BFE New Mexico.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/25/13 3:15 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: IMO, it's time for the states to go back to the way it was meant to be.... the states in control, not the fed gov't. I've said this for years.... some dipE36 M3 in DC does not know what works/is needed in bumfuk Nebraska. What works for NYC, doesn't work for BFE New Mexico.

Troof. It is like shoving all of Europe together in one govern... Hey wait a second.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/25/13 3:18 p.m.

As we covered earlier, there is only an amendment in the constitution preventing states from restricting rights, not offering more than the federal level. Somebody back in the mid 1800's really left a loophole there. For those that ask, federal laws aren't the "Supreme Law of the Land" thats the Constitution and its ammendments.

Will the federal government stand for it, probably not......which is the sad part

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/25/13 3:24 p.m.
yamaha wrote: As we covered earlier, there is only an amendment in the constitution preventing states from restricting rights, not offering more than the federal level. Somebody back in the mid 1800's really left a loophole there. For those that ask, federal laws aren't the "Supreme Law of the Land" thats the Constitution and its ammendments. Will the federal government stand for it, probably not......which is the sad part

Enough states stand up, and they will have to stand for it. In fact, they'll have to shut up and sit the berkeley down.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/25/13 4:20 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: shut up and sit the berkeley down.

Best post of the thread!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/25/13 4:22 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
aircooled wrote:
Anti-stance wrote:
That is well said.
Same with dirt bikes. It's only if you try to operate something like that on a public street, road or highway that it becomes illegal.

I believe that would be the same for any machine gun....

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
1/25/13 4:32 p.m.

Here is the link to sign the petetion in Pa. to fight back against the AWB.

http://www.repmetcalfe.com/guncontrol2013.aspx I signed it and would like to find other ways to stand up for my rights. Tuna, how did/do you find out who to call to show support to fight back against the AWB? I am not nor have I ever been politically inclined, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks

Paul

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/25/13 6:40 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: HEY JOEY! LOOK HOW MUCH COD I'VE BEEN PLAYING! I made this today.

I shot a few rounds of 9mm through an ugly black rifle today. (Hi Point Carbine.) The owner was really nice; I let him shoot my mosin, I shot his black rifle, and fun was had by all. Sadly, it was dressed sort of like this: I would have liked it better if it had looked like this

I wonder how true this is

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
1/25/13 8:19 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: HEY JOEY! LOOK HOW MUCH COD I'VE BEEN PLAYING! I made this today.
I shot a few rounds of 9mm through an ugly black rifle today. (Hi Point Carbine.) The owner was really nice; I let him shoot my mosin, I shot his black rifle, and fun was had by all. Sadly, it was dressed sort of like this: I would have liked it better if it had looked like this I wonder how true this is

I've never owned a HiPoint but it seems that the general consensus on the gun forums is that they're very reliable. They're also inexpensive & IIRC they have a good warranty that is honored by the manufacturer.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/25/13 9:34 p.m.
paulmpetrun wrote: Here is the link to sign the petetion in Pa. to fight back against the AWB. http://www.repmetcalfe.com/guncontrol2013.aspx I signed it and would like to find other ways to stand up for my rights. Tuna, how did/do you find out who to call to show support to fight back against the AWB? I am not nor have I ever been politically inclined, so this is new territory for me. Thanks Paul

Paul, I am not a political expert, but it seems the petition is aimed at a state law applying only to Pennsylvania. In that vein, I'd contact your state representatives.

Go here to find out who they are:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/#address

But, I used a 'E-mail everyone' type link which you don't seem to have. At that point, I'd just ask buddies in the state to contact their guys and ask them as well.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/26/13 6:30 p.m.

TTAG is predicting that the AWB is dead, but that there will be a renewed push with even more vigor to limit magazine capacity

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/foghorn/awb-dead-in-the-water-dems-to-shift-to-mag-capacity-limits/#more-194791

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/27/13 9:22 a.m.

Didn't read the TTAG link, but the AWB was DOA.

Too many D's in the Senate in tough re-election races and the R's have the House.

Just more political grandstanding why the ignore the real problems.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GNAj3t0mO7VfbMDg76kAp4Hrvyt3TteMxGOS7aYGWu9AbKl1h4NSTw3dK7aihcPX