1 2
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/21/12 6:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
RexSeven wrote: The second article mentions a Ford EXP forum, which further proves that there are fanbases out there for EVERY car.
Not only did I used to own an EXP, I thought it was actually cool looking *AND* I was a member of that forum. I got the car for free and gave it to a friend's mother for the cost of the title transfer. That was ~7 years ago. They still have it with *zero* maintenance. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it back

One of Ford's marketing points for the 1982 EXP was that it was the second most aerodynamic car in America, only the Porsche 928? (I could be wrong) was slipperier. IIRC they quoted a C/D of .39. I just could not understand how those big headlight tunnels wouldn't wreck the airflow.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo HalfDork
5/21/12 9:44 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Javelin wrote:
RexSeven wrote: The second article mentions a Ford EXP forum, which further proves that there are fanbases out there for EVERY car.
Not only did I used to own an EXP, I thought it was actually cool looking *AND* I was a member of that forum. I got the car for free and gave it to a friend's mother for the cost of the title transfer. That was ~7 years ago. They still have it with *zero* maintenance. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it back
One of Ford's marketing points for the 1982 EXP was that it was the second most aerodynamic car in America, only the Porsche 928? (I could be wrong) was slipperier. IIRC they quoted a C/D of .39. I just could not understand how those big headlight tunnels wouldn't wreck the airflow.

Every other car had em too so level playing field !

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
5/21/12 10:21 p.m.

My wife pulled this up and left it open for me today.

Not the same list, but same source. Not sure why anyone would want a "collector-grade example" of an '84 Voyager/Caravan though...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
5/22/12 1:20 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: Here are a couple of follow-up articles: http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/News/All-Articles/2010/01/18/Readers-respond-to-Threatened-and-endangered-list http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/More-Articles/Car-Profiles/All-articles/2010/02/18/Threatened-Endangered-and-Extinct-Cars-Part-II The second article mentions a Ford EXP forum, which further proves that there are fanbases out there for EVERY car.

In that second link it lists the mid-eighties Plymouth Sapporo,and 77 RX-3. I had my 83 Sapporo Technica coupe insured with Hagerty up until a month or so ago when I sold it to a close fiend. Also I had my 77 RX-3 SP insured with them for big money for 6 days before it was totaled. I guess I like endangered/orphan cars. They wouldn't insure my 90 Mitsu van however as they deemed it too new.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
12/12/12 8:24 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Where have all the Plymouth Champ and Dodge Colts of this "twin stick" era gone?

I know it's a little old, but I just ran across this forum topic and thought I would post anyway. Can't speak for all of them but at least one is in my trailer. This is an '81 twin stick Champ I acquired in the spring. Had a chance to run it only a couple of times through the summer and although it certainly isn't the fastest high-tech euroasian rocketship out there, it sure gets the attention from the folks that drove one as a teenager. Love the look on the 20 somethings when they wonder what-in-the-world is the second lever for....

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/12/12 9:02 p.m.

Mad props for the CMC sticker. That's rockin' it old school.

jg

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/12/12 9:16 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Wasn't the 1977 Capri called the Capri II? Maybe that's where the difference is. A friend used to have one, it had a V6 and automatic, it was definitely a Capri II but I do not recall what year model it was.

'76 and '77 were the same car, and both were Capri II in the US. I wonder if there was maybe no "official" '77. I should know, I guess, but I'm not as into MkIIs as MkIs. I know there was no '75 and there was no '78. In '79 it became the Fox Mustang clone.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/12/12 9:18 p.m.
btabacchi wrote: Can't speak for all of them but at least one is in my trailer. This is an '81 twin stick Champ I acquired in the spring. Had a chance to run it only a couple of times through the summer and although it certainly isn't the fastest high-tech euroasian rocketship out there, it sure gets the attention from the folks that drove one as a teenager.

Oh, man, that's awesome! Is that the FSP car that I saw listed for sale? I looked at that ad a bunch of times. Looked to be a great car!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/12/12 10:06 p.m.

A) Nobody wants to pay for classic insurance on a Chrysler Laser or Dodge Caravan

B) the Ford EXP looks like a Dodge Shelby Charger, no wonder people think they are Fox bodies.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/12/12 10:16 p.m.

As with so many of the cars I like, I'm sure this makes me crazy, but I like EXPs. I'd really like an EXP Turbo. They're pretty rare, and they're neat.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/13/12 7:54 a.m.

In reply to btabacchi:

That's pretty cool!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/13/12 8:02 a.m.

If you think that list is rare... try to even find another picture of one of these:

My father bought a 1980 dodge omni that was a front engined, RWD, 4 cyl made by mitsubishi. Same as pictured only silver and black. I have never seen another one.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
12/13/12 8:42 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: If you think that list is rare... try to even find another picture of one of these: My father bought a 1980 dodge omni that was a front engined, RWD, 4 cyl made by mitsubishi. Same as pictured only silver and black. I have never seen another one.

Omni? I thought those were badged as Challengers.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
12/13/12 8:51 a.m.

Yep, looks like a Challenger / Sapporo to me.

And I'd totally rock an EXP - especially with a later drivetrain swap. Wonder if a Zetec bolts in?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/13/12 9:12 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Mad props for the CMC sticker. That's rockin' it old school. jg

I think I have a couple of those kicking around somewhere.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
12/13/12 9:22 a.m.

bitchin...as is the Champ.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/13/12 9:36 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: My wife pulled this up and left it open for me today. Not the same list, but same source. Not sure why anyone would want a "collector-grade example" of an '84 Voyager/Caravan though...

There are examples of the top two cars from that list here in my town. Both in rather nice shape.

Powar
Powar Dork
12/13/12 12:09 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Yep, looks like a Challenger / Sapporo to me. And I'd totally rock an EXP - especially with a later drivetrain swap. Wonder if a Zetec bolts in?

It has been done, but it is FAR from a bolt-in.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/13/12 12:15 p.m.

Sapporos were definitely pretty cars, probably one of the best to come out of Japan in that era. They were rare to begin with and I don't think I've seen one in ages- like a decade.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/13/12 12:21 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Sapporos were definitely pretty cars, probably one of the best to come out of Japan in that era. They were rare to begin with and I don't think I've seen one in ages- like a decade.

My grandmother had one and was always sad she let it go.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/13/12 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

My neighbor just sent a rusty one of those to the crusher awhile back........I still know where a 360/4sp supercoupe dodge is hanging out at though.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
12/13/12 1:06 p.m.
Powar wrote: It has been done, but it is FAR from a bolt-in.

How about the 2.0 SOHC from the Focus? IIRC, that was the last of the CVH line.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
12/21/12 12:07 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
btabacchi wrote: Can't speak for all of them but at least one is in my trailer. This is an '81 twin stick Champ I acquired in the spring. Had a chance to run it only a couple of times through the summer and although it certainly isn't the fastest high-tech euroasian rocketship out there, it sure gets the attention from the folks that drove one as a teenager.
Oh, man, that's awesome! Is that the FSP car that I saw listed for sale? I looked at that ad a bunch of times. Looked to be a great car!

It Is. I was pretty familiar with the car and owner since it had been run in our region forever and jumped at it when it came up for sale. It's not perfect, but it's fun. Wanted to run it more than I did but the wife forced me to acquire a dune buggy and it took up a lot of weekend time last summer. Hope to run it more often this coming season.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
12/21/12 6:42 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Sapporos were definitely pretty cars, probably one of the best to come out of Japan in that era. They were rare to begin with and I don't think I've seen one in ages- like a decade.

I had an 83 Sapporo up until April or so of this year. I know where it is still as I sold it to a good friend. Pics are still in my garage. I loved the car, and miss it, but he really wanted it so I let it go.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
12/21/12 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I've always had a thing for the Mitsubishi cars that Chrysler brought over. For me, one of the cool things about the JNC movement is that there seem to be some guys actively trying to save cars like the Sapporo and Colt. Girl I knew in high school had a '76 Colt..great car. I wonder how hard it would be to find Galant pieces for one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3gbubHbWcw9MZFOGQcbUsTP89gzhoLMy81Ixi8Go4Fr0DouDE9MQTp5ep3lMrAR