Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/23 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't think I was going to get a Moonswatch, as the closest Swatch store that carries them is 500 miles away and I refuse to support eBay flippers. Turns out there are actually "replicas" out there. I ordered one that was supposed to be one of the decent ones for $25 and...it was terrible. Colors were off, the glossy face made it impossible to read, it didn't actually work properly and the quality of the printing was poor. But hey, for $25 I was willing to take the chance.

Finally, I managed to get into one of the annointed Swatch stores on a visit to Ottawa. They didn't have any Mercurys on hand, but they let me know exactly when the next shipment was arriving. A friend picked one up for me and mailed it to Colorado. Took forever to arrive, USPS kept sending it to Georgia and back to Denver. He also included a Jupiter that he'd picked up in Bangkok because he really wanted a Mercury himself. 

Left to right: the Mercury, the real Jupiter and my fake Jupiter.

I put the real Jupiter on a band that picked out the color of the hands reasonably well, I quite like it. I've seen them on dark leather as well, looks quite good.

I've got a real Speedy (I tell myself it's an investment, and it has definitely appreciated since I bought it) but I'm more comfortable wearing the Swatch during my rough and tumble daily routine because it's less precious. Also, they're really comfortable.

On Prime Day, I picked this up for the cost of a terrible Moonswatch replica. It has a nice 1Hz tick and feels really well made with a metal case and a very thin NATO strap. Overall build quality seems quite good, even on the strap. It's got an Indigo backlight too - it's not flashy, it just works. Which is pretty much the Timex brand, no?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/24/23 11:35 a.m.

Cool on the Moonwatch. Very, very cool.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/24/23 9:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't think I was going to get a Moonswatch, as the closest Swatch store that carries them is 500 miles away and I refuse to support eBay flippers. Turns out there are actually "replicas" out there. I ordered one that was supposed to be one of the decent ones for $25 and...it was terrible. Colors were off, the glossy face made it impossible to read, it didn't actually work properly and the quality of the printing was poor. But hey, for $25 I was willing to take the chance.

Finally, I managed to get into one of the annointed Swatch stores on a visit to Ottawa. They didn't have any Mercurys on hand, but they let me know exactly when the next shipment was arriving. A friend picked one up for me and mailed it to Colorado. Took forever to arrive, USPS kept sending it to Georgia and back to Denver. He also included a Jupiter that he'd picked up in Bangkok because he really wanted a Mercury himself. 

Left to right: the Mercury, the real Jupiter and my fake Jupiter.

I put the real Jupiter on a band that picked out the color of the hands reasonably well, I quite like it. I've seen them on dark leather as well, looks quite good.

I've got a real Speedy (I tell myself it's an investment, and it has definitely appreciated since I bought it) but I'm more comfortable wearing the Swatch during my rough and tumble daily routine because it's less precious. Also, they're really comfortable.

On Prime Day, I picked this up for the cost of a terrible Moonswatch replica. It has a nice 1Hz tick and feels really well made with a metal case and a very thin NATO strap. Overall build quality seems quite good, even on the strap. It's got an Indigo backlight too - it's not flashy, it just works. Which is pretty much the Timex brand, no?

Whoa. I have the same Timex. I think the orange and grey band is in a closet somewhere. I've had it a long while, and just put a fresh battery in it Sunday. I like it quite a lot, but the NATO band eventually wears into the metal case back. I gotta say the tan strap really sets your Moonswatch off. Love it.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
7/24/23 10:10 p.m.

Rally bracelet from Strapcode is a fairly good recreation of the original one that should have come with my Seiko 6139.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/23 11:11 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

That's a perfect match of bracelet and watch. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/3/23 8:43 a.m.

Date or No Date: What's your preference?

I prefer No Date mechanicals, because I can't really read the date without my glasses anyway, and that makes them a pain to reset. Besides, I should only need to check the date once a day.

Go!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/3/23 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Perhaps you'd like a cyclops lens? 

I like a day-date window. That little extra functionality makes it feel like they tried a little. Although aesthetically it does clean up the dial without.

Not a fan of entire dials dedicated to the date, day, and month, but moon phases are cool.

Gary
Gary UberDork
8/3/23 12:01 p.m.

Most of my watches have the date feature, but I'm not dependent on whatever watch I happen to be wearing for the date (if I should forget).

My Bulova Sinatra tank style watch doesn't have the date feature. Although it would fit, I think it enhances the vintage look without:

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
8/3/23 9:58 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Date or No Date: What's your preference?

I prefer No Date mechanicals, because I can't really read the date without my glasses anyway, and that makes them a pain to reset. Besides, I should only need to check the date once a day.

Go!

I can't read the date without glasses either so I just stopped setting it.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/4/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I'm sort of anti-cyclops. 

I didn't know it at the time, but when I was a little kid, my uncle wore a gold Rolex. Whenever I saw him, my eye would go right to that cyclops. I didn't take in any other details of that watch. And then the cyclops became the one thing that I would look for as soon as I saw anyone else wearing a fancy watch. I don't hate it, and I'm not even sure that I dislike it, but it's distracting to me. 

I know that you can add a cyclops fairly easily to most crystals, but that's not the solution that I'm looking for. 

I guess I just prefer no date. 

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/15/23 1:43 a.m.

I've been wearing this one almost daily for about a decade.

I've got others, but this one just seems to work well for me. It's a good size, has lived through a surprising amount of abuse, it's fancy enough for anything I need to do without being huge and blingy. The only people who notice it are watch people, everyone else assumes it's a cheapo. I had someone try to mug me once while I was wearing it, and he didn't even notice it, he just wanted my wallet and phone.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/15/23 10:23 a.m.

I like the day-date, but I absolutely do not like the cyclops crystal. That said, I do have a couple of watches where the date window is too small for reasonable use, which is irritating, but not a deal-breaker. My ideal is basically realized on my daily wear watch, a Tissot Visodate automatic - clear, useful, and clean, while still incorporating the day-date.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/15/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

That's handsome!

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/15/23 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks, I thought so. I already had a Movado automatic with a similar face, but in black. I bought this because, while I love the look of the Movado, it's a smaller, thinner case (38mm vs 40mm for the Tissot) and feels a bit too delicate for daily wear. The Tissot feels right, and is likely more durable (heavier build, 30m water resistance).

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/15/23 9:40 p.m.

In reply to ToManyProjects :

What year was that made?

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/15/23 10:40 p.m.

What year was that made?

Early 1971. It's got the open connectors on the 6's and 9's in the date window. It's still on it's original crystal, but I had the mainspring replaced about 6 years ago.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/16/23 8:31 a.m.

Very nice. Did you seek it out or just stumble upon it?

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/16/23 9:53 a.m.

Very nice. Did you seek it out or just stumble upon it?

I'd been wanting another "nice" vintage watch, so I was kind of looking for a vintage Omega when this one popped up, I got it for $600. It had been in a desk drawer for 20 years. I had it serviced, and I've been wearing it since.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/7/23 7:56 p.m.

R. Kaiser silver pocket watch, made in England, 1896.

Won it in a charity auction for $35. Needs a service but I like it.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
11/21/23 6:45 p.m.

I got this Seiko 5 Kamen Rider Anniversary back in April, a tie-in with the Shin Kamen Rider movie. It doesn't appear in the film but the main character wore it in the 1971 tv series, so it's kind of a re-issue. I'm not big into Masked Rider, but something about the design had me wearing the most this year. It's usually on a NATO, the weather finally is cool enough to regularly wear the leather strap it came with.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy HalfDork
11/23/23 2:55 a.m.

I just picked this up. I had never heard of the brand before, but I like the look of it and that it has a clear case back and an open heart front to see the balance wheel, without having to go full skeleton. 

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
11/24/23 3:25 a.m.

Day date all the way. I use it at work numerous times a day. I have a Timex easy reader with day/date on a black Nato strap. Solid watch I can wear for anything.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/27/23 7:51 a.m.

Would anybody like this Seiko 5?

I bought it off eBay a couple of years ago. I thought this would be a useful dial for me when I'm checking pulses at work, but at 37mm, it's too small for both my wrist and my eyes. Nothing super special here. No hacking, no handwinding. It has a tiny crown and cheap NATO-ish (but not really) strap. Day of the week reads in English or Arabic, your choice. It has kept perfect time from the moment I set it, to the moment that I put it on my wrist and snapped this picture. 

If you want it (Bonus Points if you're going to mod it), call dibs here in this thread, then send me a message with your address and I'll drop it in the mail. No box, no papers... maybe a padded envelope if I can find one down in the basement. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
11/27/23 8:51 a.m.

Have you considered a watch with a pulsometer?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/27/23 9:02 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Honestly, I have electronic stuff that can do better job for that sort of thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZXOyKxu0DsBXnMFpRSdYqaFtxqLpkCkhhqzsR3AGoVd4e1QWDK6IFUSlFbwmaQU