barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
3/20/24 3:37 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

It is a nice piece. I have a Cort with the same electronics and I always liked it. But I think I'm going to sell it and split it with the guy. It's too big for my hands, and the high B is not my thing. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/20/24 6:27 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

That has one drawback. The only acceptable transportation is something with both tailfins AND a soft top. Just saying. 

No argument there

barefootcyborg5000
3/21/24 1:51 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

It is a nice piece. I have a Cort with the same electronics and I always liked it. But I think I'm going to sell it and split it with the guy. It's too big for my hands, and the high B is not my thing. 

Priced it mid-pack on reverb and got a 95% offer in less than 12 hours. Not bad. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/21/24 8:19 a.m.

The Ibanez Soundgear stuff is such a bargain, especially the older 90's stuff. I have a SR400 from the mid-90's that I've posted about in here before, and I love it. 

Solid, great sounding, and great playing basses. Starting with the 400-series, they have active electronics, and can be had for some real bargain prices. I paid $50 for this one off a friend. I was there when he bought it new! It is slightly abused, and has plenty of nicks and scratches, but it still plays and sounds fantastic. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
3/22/24 10:04 a.m.

"I just bought a bunch of pedals and need to sell something so my wife won't be mad."

And that's how I came to own a cheap Tele copy.  It's kind of a sweet little guitar, super lightweight and it's been setup to play really well. Definitely worthy of some upgrades and might be a keeper.

I should probably start a separate project thread to keep track of all the guitar projects. I think the guitar hobby is replacing cars for me right now.

barefootcyborg5000
3/22/24 10:25 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/22/24 10:25 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

My hand span from pinky to thumb tip is 9 1/2", and don't even like the necks on those.

barefootcyborg5000
3/22/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I've never measured before. So I did just now. 8". Maybe, MAYBE, I can claim another 1/32. I have small hands. I still love a good, fat, les Paul neck though. Just feels right. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/22/24 10:54 p.m.

These are ..... ridiculously light, so light that they won't hold the floating bridge in place on the new guitar lol

It's incredibly silky to play though

barefootcyborg5000
3/22/24 11:47 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/23/24 2:04 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Ever tried strings this tiny? I never used to go below 10s never and used 18-80s on a baritone.

But there are some very interesting things that can be done with tiny strings and it's very cool. I'm a huge Iommi fan and if he and Billy Gibbons can play these tiny things, it's worth a shot is what I thought

GCrites
GCrites Dork
3/23/24 10:53 a.m.

Paul Samson played them too. There's a song called "Vice Versa" they did while Bruce Dickinson was still in the band where his clean sound is ace:

https://youtu.be/UCSkjYE5-So?si=G4xJr9pD3IL9s1Tf

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
3/23/24 11:41 a.m.

Sevens!?

I was thinking about putting nines on everything after being swayed by a YouTube string comparison (which is down two sizes on the Duo Jet).

I feel like i get tangled picking on lighter strings. The idea of sevens reminds me of a weird dream i had years ago where Olga from the Toy Dolls explained to me the secret was running those floppy rubber Bunsen burner gas tubes for strings.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/23/24 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

They are.....weirdly bouncy to play. I was worried they would break easily but it turns out that they don't have enough tension to do that.

Also like..... super blues bends going on. Everyone should try them once

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/23/24 1:44 p.m.

To give you guys an idea of the difference in tension

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/23/24 1:51 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

My latest ill advised Reverb purchase of an artisanally carved wooden plank has started making its way across the country.

Not disclosing what it is yet, other than it’s rather rare to find one of these in the US, and it’s so late 80s Sunset Strip that it should come in a spandex case. Timing of the purchase wasn't great but it's only the second one I've seen for sale in the US in about six years. 

Aaargh.

The guitar was supposed to show up on Friday, but has been delayed. Hopefully it was due to the bad weather in the Midwest and not because it fell off the truck and got run over by a forklift.

Of course it's now supposed to show up on Monday, and I'm supposed to be out of town the whole week. My wife doesn't know much about guitars so anything other than obvious damage to the packaging is going to stay undetected until I get back home. I guess I'll find out how much of a mistake this purchase turns out to be.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/24 6:42 p.m.

A week or so ago JHS pedals was blowing out their Overdrive Preamp pedal for cheap.  Like $50. I wanted to get one but I was buried in meetings that day and they sold out before I had a chance to get on the website. 

Yesterday I met up with my old bass player to hang out and make some noises with and said, "I have a present for you. " ...especially since he still has an original DOD 250 in his collection. 

Not that I need another dirt box, but it's always fun to have options. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/25/24 10:18 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Ditto. I have 9's on mine still and I bend them chording. Too many years playing acoustics and on flatwounds. I probably couldn't even play on these.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/25/24 1:45 p.m.

7's?  I would have to really adjust my ham-fisted playing style to make those work...  Just using 9's has been a challenge after decades of playing 10's in standard tuning and 11's for downtuning.  Hell... one of my Les Pauls is set up with 12's.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/25/24 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'd feel like I was ripping the string off the fretboard. Bass strings are cables compared to a string that light.

barefootcyborg5000
3/25/24 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I run 9s in standard. Some guitars don't like it and I use 10s where necessary.

Used to do 10s on everything and play mostly in D standard, and 11s on the drop B stuff. We were so cool. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/25/24 6:49 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

7's?  I would have to really adjust my ham-fisted playing style to make those work...  Just using 9's has been a challenge after decades of playing 10's in standard tuning and 11's for downtuning.  Hell... one of my Les Pauls is set up with 12's.

It's a great practice tool, and vibrato is pretty cool too

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
3/29/24 1:43 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Just got hotter devil

barefootcyborg5000
3/29/24 2:20 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Now see, that bridge needs a high polish and you're right in the center of "excuse me, I need to sit down" town. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/29/24 3:07 p.m.

When I actually do get around to playing, which hasn't been much the last 18 months or so. My 6 strings all have Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom. No idea what's on the 8 string. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6uf6XbfkbK2im5ExhsKifsgG3eLFLBUXymHpaDpb0R7akJO345qWDYtnjUPDuHUg