6/17/24 8:33 a.m.
Appleseed said:
1988RedT2 said:
Mr_Asa said:
GCrites said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
GCrites said:
Toyman! said:

Most people just stream Netflix. That's about what it costs a year.

Just think about how averages work for a second...to hit that number,how many people have to spend literally zero dollars per year to balance out a car guy with a racing habit?

Not to be a Debbie Downer but this country has a lot of poverty.

Also, do we even believe that figure?

No.  The number is crazy low.  The average person spends $255 per year on toilet paper.  Anybody spending that little on a hobby isn't really hobbying.

I'm just here for the quotes. And breaking the forum with them.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/17/24 9:19 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Appleseed said:
1988RedT2 said:
Mr_Asa said:
GCrites said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
GCrites said:
Toyman! said:

Just think about how averages work for a second...to hit that number,how many people have to spend literally zero dollars per year to balance out a car guy with a racing habit?

No.  The number is crazy low.  The average person spends $255 per year on toilet paper.  Anybody spending that little on a hobby isn't really hobbying.

Hopefully, the statute of limitations has expired:

I admit that I instigated a "quote the quote" chain a few years ago. It went on for a few pages, and most of it became illegible due to the lateral compression. 

"Everything old is new again." Jonathan Swift, probably after a poem by Ovid.

Have at it!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/24 10:36 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Appleseed said:
1988RedT2 said:
Mr_Asa said:
GCrites said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
GCrites said:
Toyman! said:

Hopefully, the statute of limitations has expired:

I admit that I instigated a "quote the quote" chain a few years ago. It went on for a few pages, and most of it became illegible due to the lateral compression. 

"Everything old is new again." Jonathan Swift, probably after a poem by Ovid.

Have at it!

I'm quoting because that was anachronistic fun. Right up till Margie told us to cut the E36 M3.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/24 10:50 a.m.
prodarwin said:

Hold up.  If you spend $255 a year in toilet paper, something is insanely wrong with you.

or you have extremely luxurious TP.

I will politely disagree.  Even a TP as mundane as Charmin Ultra Soft sells for $16.49 per 4 rolls on Amazon.  I'm sure you could pay more if you bought it at a convenience store.  Figure 2 rolls a week times two bathrooms times 52 weeks per annum, and you're looking at $857 a year for the lofty privilege of wiping your butt.  Granted, that figure is based on being the head of a household that may contain teenagers and their guests, but the numbers are plausible. 

The worst thing about our current economic situation is just how unaware most people are concerning the cost of everyday things.

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/17/24 11:14 a.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/24 11:21 a.m.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fcb%2F54%2F92%2Fcb5492517020ba8c5b3727fd8d7d12c0.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ca57989d0302ada087b90cd4ccfd7fdf79799bc2acd3393de055c6779a3d7c8f&ipo=images

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/17/24 12:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
prodarwin said:

Hold up.  If you spend $255 a year in toilet paper, something is insanely wrong with you.

or you have extremely luxurious TP.

I will politely disagree.  Even a TP as mundane as Charmin Ultra Soft sells for $16.49 per 4 rolls on Amazon.  I'm sure you could pay more if you bought it at a convenience store.  Figure 2 rolls a week times two bathrooms times 52 weeks per annum, and you're looking at $857 a year for the lofty privilege of wiping your butt.  Granted, that figure is based on being the head of a household that may contain teenagers and their guests, but the numbers are plausible. 

The worst thing about our current economic situation is just how unaware most people are concerning the cost of everyday things.

See, that's just an example of poor shopping. Drop in to Walmart and you can pick up 12 "mega rolls" (purportedly equivalent to 72 normal rolls, whatever the official normal roll size is ) of your Charmin Ultra Soft for under $20. My local grocery store sells it for $23. You're paying a huge premium to have that TP shipped and delivered. And of course, there's a Walmart brand Ultra Soft that is half the price if you can manage non-name brand TP. By going to Walmart, we are now spending $347 and have saved over $500 over the Amazon option - assuming your estimate was for the Mega Rolls and we pony up for the name brand. Go with the off brand and our annual spend is down to $173. 

The second worst thing about our current economic situation is people who don't put any effort into making their dollars count and just go for the laziest, easiest option. 

StilettoSS
StilettoSS Reader
6/17/24 12:22 p.m.

What I don't get is how the average guy (and the lower income people) can afford to smoke anymore. If you smoke half a pack a day (which when I smoked was a joke, I was definitely smoking a pack a day) at today's average cost of a pack of butts it's $1825 a year. To kill yourself. I quick smoking in 2015 when my butts reached $7 a pack mostly because I am cheap and wanted to be able to breathe and take more vacations. I'm not preaching, just saying stupid crap that's probably bad for us adds up. I now save my smoking money in a separate savings account, and I've been able to take more time off to do fun things. YMMV

StilettoSS
StilettoSS Reader
6/17/24 12:26 p.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Your point is understood.  I don't buy toilet paper from the Amazons, I buy it from Costco.  In great big multi-packs that fill up a car.  And while I cherry-picked the numbers a bit in order to make a point, I do think a household today could easily spend the aforementioned $255 on toilet paper.

Even your economy brand abrasive butt-wiping material is in the ballpark at $173.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/17/24 1:12 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/17/24 1:31 p.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
6/17/24 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

The meme still works if you change the time frame.

But I don't think it works at all for this guy.

Or does it?

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
6/17/24 2:34 p.m.

Perfect description for all this week.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
6/17/24 2:35 p.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/17/24 2:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Your point is understood.  I don't buy toilet paper from the Amazons, I buy it from Costco.  In great big multi-packs that fill up a car.  And while I cherry-picked the numbers a bit in order to make a point, I do think a household today could easily spend the aforementioned $255 on toilet paper.

Even your economy brand abrasive butt-wiping material is in the ballpark at $173.

This gets my quote for the Quote of the year:

" economy brand abrasive butt-wiping material "

Also tangentially related:

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
6/17/24 2:54 p.m.

Or you could upgrade your experience and not use any toilet paper? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/24 3:11 p.m.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F44%2Fdc%2Fca%2F44dcca028a460d1d838d411454594ae6.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=83840052a82d5f3b3b5240acd5dc0daebc37bb4a1ff4c9c870d2240640a04616&ipo=images

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/17/24 3:42 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/17/24 3:46 p.m.

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
6/17/24 4:08 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
6/17/24 8:34 p.m.