Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/23/24 12:22 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

We called the short sleeve/tie combination "the Drew Carey" (this was the early 2000s).

The Sipowicz... it was always the Sipowicz!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/24 1:15 a.m.

I prefer Mission Control, aka The Krantz.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/23/24 7:35 a.m.

We called it the Derby after my first professional boss, who actually looked a lot like Sip but with nerdy '70s glasses... in 1990.

[edit] When I worked at Rickel's (HD / Lowe's precursor) we had to wear ties on the sales floor.  One of my coworkers always rocked a polo shirt with a clip-on.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/23/24 8:45 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

I'm probably the last person left that doesn't mind wearing ties, but I wear short sleeve shirts.  I've been told I shouldn't because it's a 70s tv detective look as if that would be a deterrent. 

No, you should definitely keep wearing the short sleeve shirts- long sleeves compromise your attack readiness.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
5/23/24 9:08 a.m.

I went to a high school that had a dress code...ties and collared button down shirt and a sport coat.  Sport coat requirement was relieved if temps outside were over 80 degrees.  By senior year, my buds and I had amassed the most gawdawful collection of Salvation Army reject sport jackets and ties of all manner of sizes, colors, and eye-watering patterns.  It's a shame our yearbook was mostly black and white photos...then again, that may have been intentional!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
5/23/24 9:57 a.m.

Somebody changed a shared code library in our DEV region and didn't tell anybody. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/23/24 10:23 a.m.
Rodan said:

We called the short sleeve/tie combination "the Drew Carey" (this was the early 2000s).

A bunch of his family members are my neighbors. Every single one of them is in the running for nicest person alive. 

Rant: I saw someone complaining about the state of their junk drawer. I wish I had a junk drawer. Everything in the house is a junk drawer. We have one organized drawer of not junk. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
5/23/24 11:02 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I went to a high school that had a dress code...ties and collared button down shirt and a sport coat. 

That may be the most East Coast thing I have ever heard.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/23/24 11:21 a.m.

Disclaimer: Not a rant.

I designed a thing and guided it through fabrication and assembly.
We tested it yesterday in the yard and it did what its supposed to do.

Now it is in the field for its first actual field test Doing-The-Thing and has half of the FDOT managers and other people from the next four counties around us watching and I feel slightly nauseous. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/23/24 11:24 a.m.

Rant 1. 

If you need to talk to me, pick up the phone and call me. Don't send me an email telling me to call you. You may think you are helping me, but you aren't. If I call when I can, you'll never hear from me. 

Rant 2. 

If I schedule a crew for your multi-day job, it must happen when it is scheduled. My dance card is full. I can not just push it back a day or two without rescheduling everything around it. I have jobs scheduled out for weeks. While there is some room in that schedule, there are no spare days just waiting for someone to fill. I don't particularly care when your inspections are. Managing your schedule is your problem and your piss poor planning is not my emergency. What this boils down to is you need to let me do the work on schedule or it may be a week or two before I get back out there. The choice is yours. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/23/24 11:25 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Disclaimer: Not a rant.

I designed a thing and guided it through fabrication and assembly.
We tested it yesterday in the yard and it did what its supposed to do.

Now it is in the field for its first actual field test Doing-The-Thing and has half of the FDOT managers and other people from the next four counties around us watching and I feel slightly nauseous. 

Yeah, but just think about how you will feel when it does its thing. 

Stream Aww Yea 117 Bpm by Leonidas The Gr8 | Listen online for free on  SoundCloud

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/23/24 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

And, to be fair, the thing its doing is pretty damn cool.

Its a boom mounted roadside tree trimming setup.  Twin 36" saw blades whirling around at ~4000RPM, boom was already in place

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/23/24 2:00 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Toyman! :

...Twin 36" saw blades whirling around at ~4000RPM...

This post is useless without video. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/23/24 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I actually passed an FDOT group doing tree trimming on my way to work this morning.  That thing would be a game changer up here in N. Florida.  I'd bet half our power outages around here during these storms are due to the tree canopy not being cut back on a yearly basis, and broken limbs falling in to power poles or ripping down power lines. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/23/24 2:17 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Toyman! :

And, to be fair, the thing its doing is pretty damn cool.

Its a boom mounted roadside tree trimming setup.  Twin 36" saw blades whirling around at ~4000RPM, boom was already in place

I think the only thing cooler than that is the whole chainsaw assembly hanging from a helicopter method.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/23/24 2:32 p.m.
Toyman! said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Toyman! :

...Twin 36" saw blades whirling around at ~4000RPM...

This post is useless without video. 

Ill keep an eye on our social media stuff and drop a link when it airs.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/23/24 2:33 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I actually passed an FDOT group doing tree trimming on my way to work this morning.  That thing would be a game changer up here in N. Florida.  I'd bet half our power outages around here during these storms are due to the tree canopy not being cut back on a yearly basis, and broken limbs falling in to power poles or ripping down power lines. 

My brother works as a Florida Forestry firefighter up there in Wakulla county.  He desperately wants to get his hands on one of our machines.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/23/24 4:20 p.m.

My super nice neighbors are moving today. Gonna miss them greatly and not much chance in the foreseeable to visit since Portland is a little more that a jaunt across town. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/23/24 10:40 p.m.

My laptop screen's starting to glitch when I adjust the hinge now, great...

Edit: Getting worse rapidly, replacement flex cable ordered.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/23/24 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Ah, from the Devil May Cry school of tree-trimming:

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/24/24 4:51 a.m.
Rodan said:

Unfortunately I'm getting his hairline too. 

When I got the job I had maybe three ties for weddings and funerals, so while we've bought some nice ones I also have a collection of "vintage" ones I picked up.  They were probably stylish and expensive in their day going by the neighborhoods I picked them up in but haven't aged very well. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/24/24 8:35 a.m.

Checking my bank account this morning, ready to move some more $ to savings, wee!  Oh, I see multiple overdraft charges, going back to Tuesday??  I knew I was a little lower than normal this week but WTH.

Looks like at least one was refunded, but a quick glance before coffee makes me think two were not.  Ok I'm out $30ish.  BUT, I have a freaking $14K overdraft account tied into my checking (been with US Bank since 1991).  Why do you only move $50 at a time?  If you moved $500 then there would only be one char...   Oh, I see.

Yesterday I submitted 8 hours of PTO for Tuesday the 28th before I left at 0600. Monday is a federal holiday and we get it off. I had planned to add an extra day to the weekend because the GF and me will be out of town. I verified that there wouldn't be any scheduling conflicts on my shift (mid shift, 2200-0600) before I submitted it. 

I received an email from the shop manager later that day stating my PTO request was denied due to a manning shortfall on my shift. Confused, I checked the shift schedule for next week which hasn't been released when I submitted my PTO request. I was moved off of mid shift to swing shift. And one of the techs on swing shift had PTO approved for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Oh.

Now I had made the ASSumption that I was staying on mid shift next week due to the fact that I have been on mids for the past 9 weeks. I had no indication that I would be moved.

The kicker is that the shop manager will be on PTO starting today for the next 4 weeks. My lead took PTO Thursday, today, Monday and Tuesday.

Kinda E36 M3ty to move someone to another shift with no heads up while being on PTO yourself, isn't it?

I was pretty irritated when I replied to the shop manager's email. I'm starting to see why the turnover is so high in this place sad.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/24/24 9:56 a.m.

Friday is time sheet day.  Last Friday I submitted my time sheet as usual.  Not long after that I started getting network requests to re-login.  This involves logging in, responding to a message on my cell phone, then hitting a button on the screen.   Nothing was working so I got in touch with the IT wizards.   After an hour of him taking control of my computer we finally got back to where I was.   Or did I?

This Friday I go to submit my time sheet and see that last weeks is still showing as un-submitted, WTF?  I hit the submit button again.

Today is payday,  guess what?   No pay for that lost week.   Just the week before.    So in two weeks I get 3 weeks pay but I need to pay all my monthly bills for June on 1 week's pay plus dip into savings.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/24/24 10:05 a.m.

Some things haven't been going my way recently. It's all stuff like "can't go do this fun thing you were planning to do because you're a responsible adult". 

I just can't get over it. I am so pissed at this situation, and it's so stupid to be upset at. But I just can't get it out of my head. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5bi0NA0Vsqj7kldiWSaNsx98vfljczkpgnDGxDj6vzymnTgbkDiZjVUBwgjWG6eP