JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/13/19 9:51 a.m.

Got a set of ever-so-slightly beefier all terrains on the wife-mobile. The old tires were pretty much tapped out, and they looked a little puny next to the new steel bumper. The new ones make a HUGE difference to the overall look, really make the bumper look like it belongs. Bonus - she's stoked about them. Has been splashing through puddles.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/13/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

tb
tb Dork
5/13/19 11:22 a.m.
JamesMcD said:
tb said:

My wife gets me and is my biggest enabler

Happy birthday. The 9th was my 40th too.

Happy belated, old man! smiley

Yesterday I was able to autocross for the first time in about a year. I'm sore as hell from a long day on my crutches but I dialed in the new coilovers, met up with old friends, made some new ones and didn't kill a single cone!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/13/19 3:08 p.m.

Kid who wants to buy my firetruck has a 1950 Buick for sale.  Sounds like I am going to be able to get my hands on a Buick straight 8 cheap enough to wonder what it would take to bolt an Intrepid, Toronado, Audi, or Subaru transmission to it for a mid engine Challenge car.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/13/19 5:42 p.m.

I found the title to the challenge car!!!!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/14/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Sweet!

Dusterbd13-michael
5/14/19 7:48 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Ive been searching since February. It was in the cookbooks. But its been found! 

Plates and street testing to follow shortly .

Dusterbd13-michael
5/14/19 1:59 p.m.

Threw rhe battery charger on the duster (01/14 date code battery) and its taken a charge! Fired right up after sitting for months. I love efi.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/14/19 7:46 p.m.

Picked up some spare Audi parts for a rallyist coming to Southern Ohio Forest Rally next weekend.  It would have been about a 8-9 hour round trip from SOFR for him, and I'll be in the vicinity anyway...

Regardless.  I'm in what is probably the most affluent area of Toledo.  I'm feelin' like I seriously don't belong going up into his neighborhood.  Also my car is absolutely filthy inside and out because I've been basically living it in when not working or sleeping at home, and the driveways at both my garage and at my work are muddy gravel so the outside of the car is a mess.  But anyway, we meet up, I poke around and check out all the cool B3/B4 Audi hardware he has, we talk cars for a bit, then we go out into his driveway, load car parts in my trunk and foldin' money into his wallet, and we chitchat some more.

His son comes out of the house.  I am a horrible tell kids' age, but let's say before driving age, maybe 12-13ish, maybe just before Awkward Growthspurt Age, and he stands out in the driveway and just gawks.  Then he says "Is this an ess-sixty... arr?  Hey dad, this car has three hundred horsepower!!"

You know your cars, kid.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/14/19 7:49 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

Kid who wants to buy my firetruck has a 1950 Buick for sale.  Sounds like I am going to be able to get my hands on a Buick straight 8 cheap enough to wonder what it would take to bolt an Intrepid, Toronado, Audi, or Subaru transmission to it for a mid engine Challenge car.

I hope you find out, I’d like to see.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/14/19 8:16 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

Kid who wants to buy my firetruck has a 1950 Buick for sale. 

That sounds like the most GRM person thing ever.

Sounds like I am going to be able to get my hands on a Buick straight 8 cheap enough to wonder what it would take to bolt an Intrepid, Toronado, Audi, or Subaru transmission to it for a mid engine Challenge car.

TH425 is the best bet, since the transmission is made out of stubbornness and sheer force of will (even in motorhomes, they don't wear out or break, they just leak) so you'd need to find some mythical Buick Eight to BOP pattern adaptor.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/14/19 8:50 p.m.

Two low dollar, non-running-and-no-guarantees vehicles have started this week with exactly $0 invested.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/14/19 9:05 p.m.

I just bought a suit of leathers. Plan is to get a Grom or XR100 or similar to run at the kart track by my house on bike days with friends that do this sort of thing. I haven't ridden a bike at all in a few years and never one on track. I'm jumping out of my skin excited. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
5/15/19 9:31 a.m.

After the nearly breakdown-inducing stress of Monday evening's setting up and fixing the water curtain for the theatre school group renting it this week for their show, I was fully expecting to get frantic texts/calls yesterday when they had their first normal rehearsal at the theatre with it running. Ended up getting nothing, and the Dancer got texts from both the director and one of the moms she knows who was one of the people I taught how to run it that it had worked perfectly through the whole evening and that it brought the show to a much higher level. 

I still fully expect it to explode, flood the theatre, or both during one of the actual shows- but for now I'm glad that it's behaving and they're so thrilled with it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/15/19 10:01 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

Sounds like I am going to be able to get my hands on a Buick straight 8 cheap enough to wonder what it would take to bolt an Intrepid, Toronado, Audi, or Subaru transmission to it for a mid engine Challenge car.

all i'm wondering is WTF body is long enough to swallow a mid-mounted straight eight?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/15/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

The challenge isn't getting a 4' long engine into the car, the challenge is getting the engine in and finding a place to sit.  That said, an 800# engine 10"  off centerline and a 300# fat guy 20" off centerline is probably close enough that the battery and fuel tank behind the driver could balance it all out. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/15/19 10:58 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

... waiting for build thread ...

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/15/19 3:23 p.m.

I caused a coworker to piss himself in the middle of the office. This may be my greatest accomplishment of the year .

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/15/19 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

You need the New York hat trick: Get said co-worker to piss himself  (accomplished ) E36 M3 himself, and knock himself out. 

You're 1/3 there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/15/19 5:02 p.m.

Thought the Murdercycle just needed a blinker bulb. Nope. So I go on a wiring adventure. 6volt Hondas are weird, and don't play by the rules.  Checked everything. No change. 

Ran a direct wire from the negative lead on the battery. Bad ground.  Cleaned up all the bullet conectors. Works great.

While this sounds like a minor rant, anything this simple involving wiring is a win. Major win.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/15/19 7:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Wally :

You need the New York hat trick: Get said co-worker to piss himself  (accomplished ) E36 M3 himself, and knock himself out. 

You're 1/3 there.

Challenge accepted 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/15/19 8:07 p.m.

I'm starting to prefer Craiglist posts that require you to call a number and talk to an actual human.  After having a horrible Craiglist experience the same day, I picked up this tank for $10 just a mile or so out of my daily route home.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/15/19 8:45 p.m.

Once belonged to the bottled gas distribution company out of Louisville.  Couldn't find any info on the company.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/15/19 9:24 p.m.

September 1954 model?  I don't see any other stampings, I assume recerts are stamped like smaller tanks.  Guy I bought the tank from hadn't used it in the 20+ years he owned it. Still has pressure in it, smelled like propane when I cracked the valve.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/16/19 4:37 p.m.

The In reply to Appleseed :

He complained this morning that I have a stupid one liner for every comment, but he left out that he started with a poor attempt at a joke and the part where he ran out before finishing his story. Now I really need to figure  out how to trigger part two. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2ecL4UKBCxpA58LdyVTm72hse6xLnlSJWVqHcy5XvONzRNDqsDTVj8NFMIBgw7J