1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/19 5:03 p.m.

Absorbant pads

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
12/11/19 5:38 p.m.

Did some more digging and think the answer might be just a few bucks away. Read through this and thought it sounded promising. He uses a tarp but I know a few roofers so ill ask if they have any EPDM scraps. It might hold up better

https://www.instructables.com/id/All-Season-Garage-Floor-Mat/

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
12/12/19 7:32 a.m.

Dehumidifier and a ceiling fan! If you have any sort of drain available in the garage and the interior temperature stays above freezing, this absolutely works wonders. The ceiling fan takes warmer air up by the ceiling and moves it around. The dehumidifier takes pints/quarts of water out of the air daily depending on the size of the unit.

All this means nothing if it isn’t above 35*.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
12/19/19 8:15 p.m.

Well, I have updates!

I bought a tarp that was larger than the car and some 1x2 furring strips for the perimeter.  I didnt need any of it.  After laying it out in the garage and getting it all mocked up I didnt like it. Not one bit. It looked dumb and hillbilly and took up so much room, not to mention slippery underfoot.

Took it all back.

I just tried another method this evening. Updates to follow.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/7/20 8:46 p.m.

I didnt realize that I had not updated this.

I tried another method instead. Blowfoam.

I pulled the car in to the garage and made some markings on the ground to help outline the vehicle plus some extra room.  Then i used blowfoam and laid down a careful bead all around the perimeter of the car parking space. The trick was not to make it too poofy and tall so i kept doing a fast side by side motion as i made my lines which kept the poof down.

It worked.  

Water stayed in the blowfoam perimeter and once in a while I would squeegie the water outside and rinse the pad off. The foam didnt seem to absorb water and it did what i wanted it to. mostly.

It looked a bit odd and I got lots and lots of questions from family, house guests and a neighbor too. Also, if driven over, it would flatten and not re-poof. Lastly, i had to repair a few sections by refoaming it because foot traffic and what not led to kicking the foam which tore it off the floor.

So, although it worked it needed some improving. However, i would still recommend this method.

I tore up the old stuff today with a edger/scraper followed up by a razor blade to remove the finer stuff. Took no time at all and only left minor staining/ marking where it was.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/7/20 8:52 p.m.

This year I have a new idea that i recently tested on a small scale.  Silicone caulk.  I'll purchase it in the large contractor tube and cut the tip to get as wide a bead as possible.

Less obvious, easier to repair, better temperature range. Might be a bit harder to remove totally.

Hope it turns out well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/8/20 3:47 p.m.

So many of these problems can be simply solved by inventing a time machine, so you can smack the concrete guy in the back of the head for not pouring the floor correctly.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/8/20 8:33 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

So many of these problems can be simply solved by inventing a time machine, so you can smack the concrete guy in the back of the head for not pouring the floor correctly.

You are so right.  The combination of a bad pour and no garage drain gets me upset every time

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/5/23 11:29 a.m.

Looks like this was a canoe revival, but any update on this, carkid? How'd the silicone caulk go?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
6/5/23 2:07 p.m.

Silicone caulking held up pretty well. Guess held up better than I thought. This summer I will scrape off the old and reapply for the winter. 
Actually come tot think of it it worked really well. 
One corner is really low and tends to spill over but if I catch it and give it a quick push with a broom to move the water out of the area it holds. 

I would recommend this to anyone. 

This next application I am going to try for a taller wider bead. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jnU3lBZ4doFqGDnTOH3SkfgizUmuADoTLCzviuKxkiMCW3fLl4q2AyJJIKcGxvoc