1 2
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/7/13 12:59 p.m.

Just in case it had slipped up on you, this is the weekend to change our clocks!!!

Hallelujah! Finally some daylight to be able to get some tasks done.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/7/13 1:05 p.m.

Hopefully the extra time in the afternoon will melt some snow!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
3/7/13 1:07 p.m.

I agree on the Hallelujah part.
Here on the radio as mattress store is running a promo which is focused on the 1 hr of sleep you will loose. Boy, they could not be more wrong. I will gladly give up 1 hour if that means I can get "the lights" turned back on in the evening for the next 6 months. Living all my life in the Midwest, daylight savings time (DST) is one of the best days of the year as it signals winter is near over.

One of the security questions for my online banking is "favorite holiday?"
It would not accept my answer of DST.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/7/13 1:23 p.m.

I wish we could just "spring forward" 30 minutes and leave it the bleep alone!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/7/13 1:32 p.m.

I agree with the 30 minute modification.

Otherwise, if you hate it so much, adjust your schedule to wake up and go to bed earlier or later. My .02.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/7/13 1:34 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: One of the security questions for my online banking is "favorite holiday?" It would not accept my answer of DST.

It is totally a holiday in my mind.

the only thing I didn't like about it as a kid was that I had to go to bed before it was even "dark."

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/7/13 1:35 p.m.

I just wish we could leave it on DSL all year long!

One of the reasons we were told you had to change it back was that the poor little school children wouldn't have to go to school in the dark, but around here they come and the go home in the dark during the winter. It doesn't help them, but it does help the rest of us.

And RossD you watch in a very short time this extra hour of sun will melt all the snow and give you green grass and pretty little birdies again.

It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders I hate non-DSL so much. It also doesn't hurt that all my free outdoor music venues begin again once the time changes so now I'll get to have a lot more fun again.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/7/13 1:51 p.m.

Working nights Saturday. Work 11, get paid for 12

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/7/13 2:14 p.m.

I'm also not a fan of the dark evenings.

When I was in school, we had to walk to school uphill--and in the dark--both ways.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/7/13 2:18 p.m.

I just hate winter, dark when you get up dark when you get home. Too damn long!

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/7/13 2:23 p.m.

I'm in the leave-it-on-DST camp.

Daylight available after work is what decides whether I can fit in a ride or do work outdoors. I'd have more useful afternoons in the spring and fall if the light's receding wasn't compounded by the end of DST...

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/7/13 2:44 p.m.

I really don't care .. at least this time of yr ... during the summer when the light lasts so long ( mid-summer here it stays light 'til about 9pm)

but this particular weekend ..meh.... Carolina and Duke play Sat night at 9pm ... (in reality that makes it at 10pm) so it won't be over 'til about midnight ( DST) and I have to be up at 4:30 to be on the road to an a-x before 5:30 ... I don't do all that well with 4 hrs sleep

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/7/13 2:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I'm also not a fan of the dark evenings. When I was in school, we had to walk to school uphill--and in the dark--both ways.

I work 12's, so some parts of the year, nights or days, I'm going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/7/13 2:59 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I'm also not a fan of the dark evenings. When I was in school, we had to walk to school uphill--and in the dark--both ways.
I work 12's, so some parts of the year, nights or days, I'm going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark.

Even with a standard 8 hour day (arrive and leave 9 hours apart) that's the case for me in December/January.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/7/13 3:00 p.m.

Only the government would believe that if you cut a foot off the top of a blanket, and sew it onto the bottom of the blanket, that you end up with a longer blanket.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/7/13 3:09 p.m.

it does make sense in a twisted sorta way ... EST means the sun is up earlier in the morning ( and down later at night ) as measured by the clock .... and since most of us are accustomed to getting up in the dark/early light of morning, the extra hour of light at the end of the day is ( for most of us) more useful .... so for maybe one of the few times in history the gumment may have actually done something that made sense .... sorta ...

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/7/13 3:12 p.m.
mtn wrote: Only the government would believe that if you cut a foot off the top of a blanket, and sew it onto the bottom of the blanket, that you end up with a longer blanket.

I think this is more akin to noting the extra foot past your feet and pulling it all up so it doesn't end halfway up your torso...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/7/13 3:12 p.m.
mtn wrote: if you hate it so much, adjust your schedule to wake up and go to bed earlier or later. My .02.

The trouble is everyone else would have to do it to make it work out right.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/7/13 3:23 p.m.

I say pick the time and stick to it. Regardless of time changes, there will be more and more light everyday until the summer solstice.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/7/13 6:56 p.m.

Meh I hate it. My natural clock is set the other way. I won't be to work on time until we get to fall back. You all are wrong.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/7/13 8:09 p.m.

I'm a combination of nicksta and Anti-stance.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/7/13 9:11 p.m.

I hate it too. Lets just leave it the same all the time. It really berkeleys up my sleep schedule.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/7/13 9:40 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Meh I hate it. My natural clock is set the other way. I won't be to work on time until we get to fall back. You all are wrong.

OK.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/7/13 9:42 p.m.

Daylight savings, my ass.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/7/13 9:44 p.m.

I took a class on solar energy that involved a good bit of background in time to get us started.

The expert opinion? Daylight Stupid Time.

Arizona and Hawaii don't participate in this mess, they're the smart ones.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vsmogN3HGrWAuOyLH39pFMF30es3ejVLFWQ6LSN4VUrJRPlWtxKdZKVW4hywCHkp