wae
wae PowerDork
12/15/23 6:59 a.m.

Today, I learned that some parts manufacturers are basically pretty honest that they're selling cheap crap.  I'm looking for a v-belt for an application that doesn't exist in the catalog so my search is by size and I came across this "Roadmax" belt for $1.17.  The description is brutally honest:

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/24/23 9:26 p.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/24/23 10:04 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

I was talking about this sort of thing this morning. My grandfather died on Christmas Eve, but even though it was many years ago, it still really hurts. We used to spend Christmas Eve at his house every year.  I miss him terribly and would love to have just one more afternoon with him. 

But he was born in 1909, and it's not like we would be laughing it up at the house of my 114 year old grandfather if he hadn't gotten cancer. He would have died 100 times since then from 100 different things. 

But it still hurts, and I miss him very much. 

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
12/24/23 10:14 p.m.

TIL that Trans Siberian Orchestra is not a  Russian orchestra.  BOY!  Have I missed out on some great entertainment.  I thought it was just orchestral type music and never went out of my way to seek it out.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/25/23 1:05 a.m.

In reply to 68TR250 :

Despite knowing my history well enough to know about the Trans Siberian railroad, it never once occurred to me that the TSO may have been Russian, or anything other than American/British/Canadian/Australian. Had to check where they're from. Tampa. So TIL that TSO was first formed in Tampa. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/25/23 6:48 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to 68TR250 :

Despite knowing my history well enough to know about the Trans Siberian railroad, it never once occurred to me that the TSO may have been Russian, or anything other than American/British/Canadian/Australian. Had to check where they're from. Tampa. So TIL that TSO was first formed in Tampa. 

And the founders were members of Savatage?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/25/23 4:54 p.m.

TIL that Toyota is putting an 8 speed automatic in the GR Yaris.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/25/23 6:23 p.m.

TIL that Cleetus MacFarland's real name is Lawrence Garrett Mitchell and he's named after his grandfather US Air Force brigadier General Lawrence "Ace" Mitchell

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/28/23 2:06 p.m.

TIL if you want to build your own ultrasonic cleaner, a search for "ultrasonic vibrator" will not return the results you were looking for. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/28/23 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I was once repairing a machining center and had the same problem trying to source a new Lust (pronounced Loosht) drive.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/28/23 2:27 p.m.

TIL what BCE means.  The History channel had a story on about the Magdalenians, a culture in France more advanced than most.  Anywho, they kept referencing BCE and CE; when I see CE I think Euros.

BCE is Before Current Era.

CE is Current Era.

I was taught BC is Before Christ and AD means Anno Domini, how long has this been going on?  Is this a Woke thing deleting the past?  Not trolling, just curious. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/28/23 2:38 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Well, it was a woke thing deleting the past to say BC/AD, so...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/28/23 2:42 p.m.

The expression can be traced back to 1615, when it first appears in a book by Johannes Kepler as the Latinannus aerae nostrae vulgaris (year of our common era),[3][4] and to 1635 in English as "Vulgar Era".[a] The term "Common Era" can be found in English as early as 1708,[5] and became more widely used in the mid-19th century by Jewish religious scholars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/28/23 5:41 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Well, it was a woke thing deleting the past to say BC/AD, so...

Yeah, this.  The BCE thing has been common for about 20 years.

If you want to define "not assuming the entire world shares your specific socio-religious beliefs and background" as "woke", then, well, I can't really help you.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/28/23 5:42 p.m.

TIL that Tommy Smothers played guitar with John Lennon on Give Peace a Chance.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/30/23 12:13 p.m.

TIL that Flavortown is Canojaharie, NY

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/31/23 8:26 a.m.

TIL a local small town library's ongoing heated discussion erupted in fisticuffs.  There's a push by some for a "Transvestite Reading Hour" and some of the more conservative, older tax payers are not amused.....

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/31/23 10:21 a.m.

That the last generation Prius V looks worse in person than in the pictures. cheeky A face only a mother could love.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/1/24 8:15 a.m.

TIL there's a shop near me that tarts up you truck and add a fade.    This is a Titan crew cab.  Nice but tough to touch up that paint.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/2/24 8:02 a.m.

TIL that Alex Lifeson played the guitar solo in Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/2/24 10:42 a.m.
914Driver said:

TIL a local small town library's ongoing heated discussion erupted in fisticuffs.  There's a push by some for a "Transvestite Reading Hour" and some of the more conservative, older tax payers are not amused.....

Are the older more conservative tax players concerned it'll be be scheduled at 4pm and they'll miss it because of their early bird dinner?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/2/24 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The old Shoney's or tranny dilemma.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/6/24 11:55 a.m.

I knew that AMG was a pet project of some MB Engineers, but TIL that  it was Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher were engineers developing the racing engine for the Mercedes-Benz 300 SE in the early 1960s.  When MB stopped the project, they worked out of Aufrecht's house.   Then they broke out with AMG.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/6/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

But I giggle like a 13 year old because it is pronounced "Ah am gay"

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
1/6/24 6:12 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Flavortown is Canojaharie, NY

Totally unrelated except that i never expected a second reference for that location.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dODycpXylNwoSK2JWRXhUiQ8E26C46qjkBNlN8YMTMrAGdxTzCzcb3rrBHmKU8Kx