1 2 3
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/6/19 10:34 a.m.

We've got threads on reading and listening, but don't think we have one on watching, and I need some ideas because we just finished the final episode of "Friday Night Lights." (I know, super late to that party, but wow. You don't have to love football--great if you do, but it's flat one of the best shows I've ever seen. Can't recommend highly enough.)

Other recents and favs:

"The Irishman" on Netflix--essential Scorsese, but De Niro's blue eyes make him look like a weird cybershark;

"Russian Doll"--Natasha Lyon from OITNB out-"Groundhog Day"s Bill Murray (wouldn't have believed this possible);

"Big Little Lies"--Monterey backdrop, great cast, rich people who can't resist effing up their lives: what's not to like?

All good stuff, but short. I'm looking for a LTR--help me find my next "Breaking Bad" or "Friday Night Lights," please!

Margie

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
12/6/19 10:46 a.m.

The Wire (duh).

The librarians on Hulu surprised me, but think they stopped at season 4.

Amazon has the Expanse, and are promising a fourth season. As a scifi nerd I'm loving the detail and effects, but it does get a bit drawn out with the drama.

I'm still catching up on all the Disney stuff I watched as a kid, otherwise, yes hunting for something new to watch. 

I'm on my third run through of Married With Children just because I can't find anything else for background noise/occasional viewing.

wae
wae UltraDork
12/6/19 10:53 a.m.

I enjoyed rewatching Nikita on Netflix and Chuck on Amazon.  Designated Survivor was interesting but honestly if Maggie Q wasn't in it I wouldn't have made it past the third or fourth episode. 

I've started back at the beginning with Iron Man and have been rewatching the MCU movies.  Turns out I never saw Winter Soldier which explains why Civil War was so confusing to me.  Even for the movies I did watch, infinity war and endgame also make much more sense now.

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
12/6/19 11:21 a.m.

I was late to the game (aka, I never watched them when they were on TV) but enjoyed barreling through "Parks and Rec" and "American Odyssey."

I absolutely loved the first season of "Goliath" but the next two were a degrade but still enjoyable... 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/6/19 11:31 a.m.

Season 3 of Marvalous Mrs Maisel comes out today. I will probably start it once I get the bugs out of my trains. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
12/6/19 11:40 a.m.

30 Rock on Hulu (plus I cycle through Scrubs, Fresh off the Boat, Frasier, etc.)

Imagineering, Mandalorian, various Marvel/Star Wars movies on DisneyPlus

Expanse and The Grand Tour on Amazon

Frontline and Nova on PBS

GRM, IMSA, SCCA on YouTube/FB

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/6/19 11:41 a.m.

Four Seasons in Havana on NetFlix. I usually don't binge-watch stuff, but in this case ended up going to bed at 4am after watching all episode.

Also slowly working my way through HBO's Rome.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/6/19 11:54 a.m.

If Amazon still has PBS's America's Experience series up that's an easy series to get sucked into.  

miatafan
miatafan New Reader
12/6/19 12:08 p.m.

Man in The High Castle.

Jack Ryan (Season 2)

Waiting for The Expance (Season 4)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 12:25 p.m.

Certainly, The Wire. 

One that I enjoyed more than I thought was Californication.  A simplistic sophomoric humor romp (and NSFW) but indulgent in quick, under 30 minute segments.   Old Showtime series spanning 7 season though the last season is pretty "phoned-in" in my opinion.  

I enjoyed  couple of other Showtime 30 minute series including Dexter and Weeds.  None are high brow or thought provoking but they are entertaining.  

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/6/19 12:34 p.m.

You know, we started "The Wire" a few years ago, but Tim didn't get into it and I forgot to put it on my Tim-traveling list. Thanks, guys, will fix that.

Margie

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/6/19 12:37 p.m.

The Good Place. This is seriously the first show I've been actively interested in for a long time and one of the few shows that my mom and I both enjoy. We just watched the first 3 seasons on Netflix, now we need to switch to Hulu or something to watch season 4. The series finale is coming up in January, they said they didn't want the show to drag on and get stale so they decided 4 seasons was the right length to wrap the story up.

It's a comedy, but with dramatic elements, and a lot of existential life/death/afterlife philosophy stuff all wrapped up in there. I thought I would hate it, but it's awesome.

bluej
bluej UberDork
12/6/19 12:42 p.m.

I just finished Collateral on Netflix, and enjoyed it. The Bodyguard was good as well. My wife watched it after and liked it. She LOVED Friday Night Lights, so might be good options for you, Margie.

I just re-watched The Newsroom earlier this year. I think in a lot of ways it's going to stand up better than The West Wing. I can never get enough of Sorkin.

If you haven't yet, I loved both Molly's Game, and Miss Sloane.

Edit: OMG if you haven't yet, everyone at GRM World HQ needs to watch LA to Vegas. It was only a season, but for anyone who travels more than 2-3 times a year, it's some of the funniest TV we've ever watched. 

We're also really enjoying Single Parents.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
12/6/19 12:42 p.m.

Letterkenny on Hulu

Chopped on Hulu

American Gods via my buddy’s PLEX server

But usually I’m in the home office with a cup of coffee watching YouTube on the smaller TV via Amazon FireTV. Content is short and specific, and on the app'smain screan there's always something interesting/new, so no searching. Channels I keep coming back to: MKBHD for tech, TechMoan for antiquated technology, My Mechanics for super-detailed restorations of things like vises/early shop tools, Mustard for really well done overviews of failed/unique air transportation,   Living Big in a Tiny House for tiny house ideas I’ll never use, and of course RegularCarReviews and MightyCarMods.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

There is some good chatter and insight to The Wire in this old GRM thread 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/6/19 12:49 p.m.
Wally said:

Season 3 of Marvalous Mrs Maisel comes out today. I will probably start it once I get the bugs out of my trains. 

I second this suggestion.  I watched the first two seasons when they came out and got my wife hooked on it over the past week as I rewatched it to get caught up.

-Rob

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
12/6/19 12:54 p.m.

I'm about to switch off the netflix account for a while. Every night I look for something on there but it has been months since I have actually watched anything on that service. Was thinking about going back to Hulu after a two year break or perhaps Britbox again.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
12/6/19 12:56 p.m.

I just finished rewatching the Sopranos. Again. Now I'm watching the final season of Man in the High Castle. Both are on Prime.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/6/19 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Certainly,  HBOs Newsroom for a well written, intellectual, romantic comedy. Should be on Amazon Prime. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
12/6/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for that link John, I knew there was stuff I forgot.

I tried to get into High Castle but haven't seen season 2. I liked the concept, just couldn't hold my attention.

The Americans was great though. I still need to watch the last season, but it was worth watching.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/6/19 1:09 p.m.

Finished:

• russian doll
  • umbrella academy
  • another life (somehow Katie Sackhoff is super sexy but I don't know why)
  • end of the f***king world
  • flavorful origins (amazing cinematography)
  • the good place

Currently watching:

• Outlander
  • Daybreak
  • In the Dark (but it isn't holding my attention)
  •  
gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork

Castle Rock on hulu is really really good. Based in the Stephen king universe but I don't think he actually took part in the series. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
Wally said:

This. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/6/19 1:10 p.m.

Letterkenny on Hulu

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/6/19 1:14 p.m.

Currently on the last season of The Wire with my wife. I've watched it several times, but she had never seen any of it. I love it, and so does she. I started on The man in the high castle but so far it hasn't grabbed me, but I was very drowsy when I started it a week or so ago. Maybe I'l keep it up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qyKlndq7mzuWMLiLuKBsukNMyE6GqUdqiXvJ6qp19wFdQoeA5ZPbJ38PjcAf0xLW