1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/30/14 3:24 a.m.

turns out they are actually kind of awesome.. and it's proven by Freiberger and Finnegan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQlD-FLZMU&list=PL12C0C916CECEA3BC&index=1

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/30/14 6:14 a.m.

I love roadkill!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/30/14 6:45 a.m.

my favorite part of that whole video is when they are setting out into a snow/ice storm in an ancient rwd car with no ABS or traction control and right around 700 horses under the hood.. there was just something poignant about that idea that resonated with me for some reason...

also when they fired it up and revved it a few times ("I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!") during the PRI show and probably got themselves and their employer banned for life...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/30/14 3:33 p.m.

I found this episode less entertaining than most. No drama. They already had the hood off when they started. The Road Warrior Charger episode was great, though.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/30/14 3:49 p.m.

i didn't care about the drama- i just like that they replaced an old school blown big block with a new age naturally aspirated small block and made the car better in pretty much every quantifiable way..

but, yeah, the Charger is badass.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
1/30/14 4:30 p.m.

I have yet to watch an episode of that show and not instantly love it!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/30/14 5:17 p.m.

berkeleyin a. That was fantastic.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/30/14 5:32 p.m.

The 5.3 in my truck doesn't seem nearly that cool.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/30/14 7:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The 5.3 in my truck doesn't seem nearly that cool.

It isn't.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
1/30/14 7:21 p.m.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It didn't really follow their usual format of putting something silly together with a arbitrarily set timeline, and for that reason it's not as good as some of the others. But, whatever. It's still leaps and bounds better than 99% of the car shows I've watched on general cable.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/30/14 7:56 p.m.

Around 9 minutes when they are showing the time lapse of the show floor you can see me hanging out behind the production guys.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/30/14 8:00 p.m.

It could be if you flip the manifolds over and add a turbo or two, I think you can get 500hp or so out of it with a stock long block.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/30/14 10:00 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: also when they fired it up and revved it a few times ("I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!") during the PRI show and probably got themselves and their employer banned for life...

until that convention centre gets a new management.. which happens fairly often.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
1/30/14 10:10 p.m.

Great episode...and how can you not love the LS?!?!

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/30/14 10:46 p.m.

This will help.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/31/14 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I've spent a lot of time looking at that, or a nice simple single turbo kit. Eventually decided that getting back into autocross would be more cost effective than a 500hp truck. I still want the single turbo.......

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 7:33 a.m.

I haven't watched it yet, I just wanted to add something. I love LS motors, and I think it's amazing what they can do with near stock idle levels and all. I love being able to floor it in any gear at any RPM without bucking or anything, but...

I saw a guy in a black Coronet leaving a parking lot. His dual quads were sticking through the hood and the thing sounded like it wanted to leap out of the engine compartment and tear every Camry it saw to shreds, just idling. I know it overheated, I know it was terrible on gas, I know it isn't as fast as a LS even without a bunch of work, but all the same, that's what I want. Of course, I drive an electric car, so what the hell do I know.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/31/14 7:50 a.m.

It could be, just swap it into something else.

Then swap in their 427" version into your truck.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/31/14 11:05 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I haven't watched it yet, I just wanted to add something. I love LS motors, and I think it's amazing what they can do with near stock idle levels and all. I love being able to floor it in any gear at any RPM without bucking or anything, but... I saw a guy in a black Coronet leaving a parking lot. His dual quads were sticking through the hood and the thing sounded like it wanted to leap out of the engine compartment and tear every Camry it saw to shreds, just idling. I know it overheated, I know it was terrible on gas, I know it isn't as fast as a LS even without a bunch of work, but all the same, that's what I want. Of course, I drive an electric car, so what the hell do I know.

i'd rather have a mild mannered and unassuming car that totally shocks the person in the other lane- the smoother the idle and quieter the exhaust, the better.. my Camaro might be just that car once (if) i get the aluminum 5.3 with LS6 heads and LS9 camshaft screwed back together and into it..

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 12:08 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I haven't watched it yet, I just wanted to add something. I love LS motors, and I think it's amazing what they can do with near stock idle levels and all. I love being able to floor it in any gear at any RPM without bucking or anything, but... I saw a guy in a black Coronet leaving a parking lot. His dual quads were sticking through the hood and the thing sounded like it wanted to leap out of the engine compartment and tear every Camry it saw to shreds, just idling. I know it overheated, I know it was terrible on gas, I know it isn't as fast as a LS even without a bunch of work, but all the same, that's what I want. Of course, I drive an electric car, so what the hell do I know.
i'd rather have a mild mannered and unassuming car that totally shocks the person in the other lane- the smoother the idle and quieter the exhaust, the better.. my Camaro might be just that car once (if) i get the aluminum 5.3 with LS6 heads and LS9 camshaft screwed back together and into it..

If I only had one car to build and one small pile of cash to build from then I'd probably agree, but something about the "rumpitty rumpitty rumpitty" from a way-too-rowdy cam is awfully neat. Heck, I saw a supercharged rat in an altered making that "VROOM.........VROOM.........VROOM........" idle with the long pause and everything at idle. It was ridiculous to stage, but I wanted that exact sound.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 12:49 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
It could be if you flip the manifolds over and add a turbo or two, I think you can get 500hp or so out of it with a stock long block.

If you start with a 4.8 you can get 1200 on the stock long block. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

I still want a 4.8/Super T-10 in something RWD made to rev.

EDIT: It doesn't help I've been driving the super-truck most of this week with it's K&N intake and Magnaflow cat-back. THose really pretty V8 sounds are very very nice.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/31/14 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

That's ported, cammed, and the rings gapped. Real world, not on the dyno, LS1tech results indicate its around 500 with a stock longblock, with the work hotrod did 700-800 before the rods start getting shorter.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 1:30 p.m.

I'd be happy with a 350hp/300tq 7500rpm redline 4.8L. I think that alone in something under 3k lbs would be an absolute hoot.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/31/14 1:35 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'd be happy with a 350hp/300tq 7500rpm redline 4.8L. I think that alone in something under 3k lbs would be an absolute hoot.

We still need to have that LS/RX7 face-off, Bob.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/31/14 1:39 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I'd be happy with a 350hp/300tq 7500rpm redline 4.8L. I think that alone in something under 3k lbs would be an absolute hoot.
We still need to have that LS/RX7 face-off, Bob.

I've been wondering more and more about an RX-8 4.8. It really does tick "all my boxes", if you know what I mean.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ehRabQa6NaMrRX7B247UGamUjVpzqtmD8oIFKNG7xdNrmmb6HuI1JpvLoFU9RkbZ