dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/16/24 3:15 a.m.

As the title implies, I have a portaband I'd like to make more use of. It's currently handheld and needs a stand. I would just jump on the Swag Offroad stand as it's the traditional gold standard. But the relatively new Harbor Freight offering adds the ability to use it horizontally like a crazy chop saw. If you had a portaband but no table right now which one would you order and why??

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/16/24 7:16 a.m.

And the harbor freight is on sale for 99 this weekend 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/17/24 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Thanks for the tip, I ended up ordering one last night before the sale ended. If I don't like it, I can probably send it on and get the Swag table.

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
6/17/24 12:48 p.m.

I'm curious about this as well. I have the Swag stand and use it often for smaller stuff but also have access to a horizontal bandsaw when I need to cut stock.

The HF version looks versatile but from the pics seems sort of flimsy in the upright configuration. One nice addition to either of these is a simple foot switch to toggle power to the saw.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/17/24 1:10 p.m.
enginenerd said:One nice addition to either of these is a simple foot switch to toggle power to the saw.

Oooh, good tip. I don't know how I would add that switch since I'm using a cordless saw, but I'll think about it. Maybe a pull cable.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/17/24 1:11 p.m.

I have had the Portaband Pro that the Harbor Freight stand is based on for about 8 years now and absolutely love it. I paid $350 for mine and it was worth every penny, I would pick up the $100 HF version in a heartbeat if I ever had to replace that stand. The versatility to go from cutting stock to length as a horizontal to standing up and cutting vertically is outstanding for how compact of a tool it is.  It stores much better than the Swag Offroad table and I'd argue that the way trigger lock switch works negates the need for a foot pedal which is pretty much a must have on the Swag mount.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/17/24 1:17 p.m.

Adding picture. The switch linkage on the Portaband Pro is really slick and I have never once wished I had a corded saw with the footpedal.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/17/24 2:10 p.m.

I bought the Swag table and I've been super happy with it. Made from heavy stock and easy to fit the saw to it - however, my older Milwaukee's mounting screws did not line up straight with the slot cut in the top - so it sits at an angle and I can't use the guide I bought......to their credit they sent me a new top plate with only the slot in it so I could drill my own holes and get it lined up straight. 

I also originally ordered the powdercoated top plate, but sent it back in exchange for a non coated top plate. The shards would get caught in the powdercoat and it made it difficult to slide the metal being cut into the blade......it would stick to the plate or get bound up.

I do like the small size and portability of it, and I really like how easy it is to use and to get accurate cuts. I think that HF stand is too bulky for my shop.

Life is a learning experience, isn't it? 

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
6/19/24 7:09 p.m.

I drew one up in Fusion, had SendCutSend make it, welded it up, and hung it off the side of my welding table.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D2mNQ2QW6WuiVhtn9azhrnqQ3J2bKc6fxCFKrRHgY5HNzl3OTTbm3yAFH5Vku0HY