1 2
P71
P71 Reader
10/13/08 1:12 p.m.

This:

Is NOT a 63 Impala. Well then what is it? Again, ALL Impalas with round taillights (58-65) have THREE taillights on each side. So seeing two it's immediately apparent that the above is a 63 Bel Air, like this one:

Now this:

IS a 63 Impala. Notice the triple taillights and unique trim pieces.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
10/13/08 7:07 p.m.

Maybe the Chevy is a hybrid like the porsche??? LOL

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
10/13/08 7:12 p.m.

Are you blind? That silver one has three taillights on each side.

Anyhow, anybody can switch a trunklid. Bel Airs and Impalas have different rooflines, that's a bit harder to pull off.

P71
P71 Reader
10/13/08 7:16 p.m.

Silver one looked like it only had two lights on the driver's (near) side. Upon further review you are correct.

Bel Air's and Impalas can and do have the same roof lines, if you ordered right. So it is easy to clone an Impy in trunklid taillight years, fortunately most Impalas did not feature taillights in the decklid.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
10/14/08 9:52 a.m.

i will settle the argument... tomorrow i go to pick up the wacky porsche. ill have to hide it my back yard somehow, but it has so many parts i need for my 78 (and even some for my 82 also) that it made allot more sense than buying them used elsewhere. Ill get the story on the chevy while im there...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
10/14/08 10:43 a.m.

on the silver '63 impala, the side trim ("spear") is unique to the impala, as are the simulated vents at the front of the front fenders, the brushed trim on the rear cove, the round emblem on the rear quarter, and the wheel covers (an easy one to fake). there was no impala "post" in '63 AFAIK, but there was certainly a Bel Air without post.

oh, and PM sent to 924guy.

hobiercr
hobiercr None
10/15/08 4:00 p.m.

Damn! This would have been perfect for the 24hr of LeMons plus it's practically in my backyard. That's what I get for going out of town to get hitched this past weekend...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/15/08 4:13 p.m.

What class? 5,000lb capacity?

Congrats

924guy
924guy HalfDork
10/15/08 10:00 p.m.

the chevy is a 64...and is being parted, still has a good windshield, rear side window parts, dash, maybe some other stuff. I have the wacky 944ish beasty home, its an interesting conversation piece. I can see plywood, bondo, what looks like electrical conduit, and some material yet to be identified in the rear clip. possibly some fence post for exhaust piping, which is split, one to the side, one strait back ending just before a crushed and leaky fuel tank.... to use it even for lemons, would be a stretch i think.. i think i left a trail of pieces for most of the 200 mile or so trip home, BUT the suspension and front clip are decent, and there are a ton of parts i can use or sell once i get it stripped down. allot of parts will live on , and in my 78 challenge car to boot, so itll still be there in spirit!

PS: David- Thanks for posting it, my wallet hurts, but allot less than buying some of the parts i needed piece by piece...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/08 10:43 p.m.

Wow, you bought it? Cool. Glad to have helped.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
10/18/08 9:45 a.m.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3173985

just for laughs...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syBrmWRfGGiL2ThALh0JScHPv9f5x0lcxC30tdj261XLjXDJqJw3FydGUHUujQBC