1 2 3
kaiscott98
kaiscott98
1/7/20 8:11 a.m.

Hi, new acount to this forum, though been a lurker for a few years. Last year i bought a 1970 camaro in the UK (where i live/ am from) and it was apparently imported over here in the late 70's to early 80's and raced for a while over here in ascar and the thundersaloons. Id never seen a camaro like it before until i started doing research and found that Carl shafer had raced a car with an extremely similar body kit. I also found a few other cars over in the states that were racing in IMSA and the daytona series i believe that look similar: carmon solomone had a green and yellow early 70s one, clark howey had a blue one with the number 73 but this was a later 2nd gen.

I cant find any that looked the same as mine, there wasnt many early 70s style camaros done like this. I was told that the car is aparently a penske car but again, i dont know, and i doubt it. If anyone recognises it or knows of other early 2nd gen camaros that looks like it, id love to know. Below is some photos of the car back when it raced in the uk and as i have it now.

i wasnt sure on the best forum to put this in, but it is a project and i may do a build thread on it once i start cracking on with it.

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 8:22 a.m.

Id also love to know what on earth this fuel tank system is in the back if anyone knows, on the filler part it says kaiser, then some illegible writing and theres a sticker on the tank itself that says its scca approved. The photo is fairly high quality so you can zoom in to see the writing better. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/7/20 9:00 a.m.
kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 9:25 a.m.

Oh, thanks, havent seen that one yet, looks fairly similar, has the same rear spoiler section. Cant tell if its an early or late 2nd gen though so not sure if its mine, will see if i can find more photos of that one.

Edit:

found a video of the race that picture was taken, its solomones car, which i believe still exists but has been converted back to the original body shape and is white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duAbr8TnjIE

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/7/20 9:36 a.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/7/20 9:39 a.m.
kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 9:40 a.m.

Thanks, yeah i found some photos of that car but its deffinitly not mine as its the later roof style of the 2nd gens. Unfortunately theres no vin on my car to help me trace it, but there is the original trim tag, which says it was once a green 1970 z28... i dunno who would butcher a z28 like this but im guessing chevrolet had the car set up to be raced by one of their many race teams and it never touched the road or dealership.

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 9:41 a.m.

ooh but i hadnt seen that  black one before, thats an early one, and there is evidence of black paint on my car under some of the silver and blue, so maybe it was this one, will do some research on that guys car, see if its still about.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/7/20 10:48 a.m.

If your car has the flat rear window and the 2nd generation nose, it's a 1974 model. That assumes it has always been that combination.

Try contacting the guy running the "Warren Agor Racing Team" Facebook page. The team ran a '74 Camaro and may have some knowledge of your car.

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 10:52 a.m.

i think all the shafer built camaros had the same front end regardless of the age, i have the trim tag on the car that states its a 1970, i have no core support in the car so cant tell what age the front end of the car relates to. Thanks for the lead to those guys, will contact them and see what they know.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/7/20 11:21 a.m.

Also, to me, that looks like an IMSA All American GT car. AAGT only went into effect for the start of the 1975 season. You might try searching for IMSA entry lists from that period to see which teams were running AAGT Camaros.

Edit: AAGT cars were tube framed cars with fiberglass bodies. Yours started life as a stock tub. It may have been modified to look like AAGT cars after it ended up in Britain. I remember reading Autosport reports on Thundersaloons and it well could be a British built car with no American history.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/7/20 11:25 a.m.

I feel like Rudy's dad stepping into Notre Dame stadium.   This is the most beautiful sight these eyes have ever seen.  Glorious car!

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 11:54 a.m.

Hmm, warren you make a good point, though ive spoken to the brother of the guy that imported the car and he says it was built in america before it was shipped over here. all the body lines on the car and the box flares seem to match up perfectly with the imsa ones. The whole rear section of the cars been removed and replaced with fibreglass, the roof and inner shell is still the original metal, so i guess, yeah the tub is stock. i have photos of the cage if that helps identifying if its an original, the cars also fitted with airheart brakes and calipers that are like the size of my head! I know the car raced in the early 80s here, and i dont know how easy it would be to buy proper american race parts in the uk back then. Will see if i can get a list of all the AAGT cars, thanks.

Thats all the photos i believe i have of the car currently, shows diffrent angles, might show something interesting, im gonna be working on it tomorow if its not raining and will have all the stuff inside the car out, so will probs take photos of all the stuff inside it.

Haha,patrick, i dont understand your reference (maybe before my time?) but thanks anyway, i too think the car looks amazing, as soon as i saw i, i had to have it, when i got it i thought it was totally unique and that there was nothing like it, turns out there is, but its still really cool. Ive been following your build of the wartburg, and that thing looks pretty awesome too!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
1/7/20 12:35 p.m.

Cool car and  cool era!  Wish I had any legitimate info to add.

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 12:55 p.m.

Thanks man, its alright, just your comment is appreciated laugh . i do wish i grew up in the 70s era, such cool cars and racing.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
1/7/20 1:26 p.m.

In reply to kaiscott98 :

Another point I came across while searching on this stuff.....the first full year of AAGT (1975) had the "moneyed" teams running Dekon Monzas, while the privateers tended to run Camaros. This could be a former GTO class car that was converted to AAGT. The GTO cars were built around factory tubs and you said yours is a 1970. It could well be a conversion.

Edit: This is some background info......https://octanepress.com/content/imsa’s-all-american-gt-spices-camel-gt-series

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 1:44 p.m.

oh, that makes sense, i know thats how solomone set up his car, it was originally just a standard looking race camaro, but he changed the car to the boxier design in 75. Will who ran in the GTO class back in the early 70's. thanks for all the info.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/7/20 1:52 p.m.

Yhis is a great thread! Nothing to add other than good luck with the restoration!

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 2:21 p.m.

Thanks man, i think ill need it, there a lot of things i have to do to the car thats gonna be a first for me, welding, painting etc also planning on putting a more modern ls/ lm engine in it, as the kits are cheap and cost about as much as a classic 350 does in the uk.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
1/7/20 7:08 p.m.

Fuel cell has a dry break fitting on it, it allows quick fill ups during pit stops.  I think kaizer (or kaiser style) dry breaks are still around.  Cool car.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
1/7/20 7:41 p.m.

I know nothing except that the British Mod Sports used to run some pretty crazy bodywork. Perhaps someone over there put it together with a US sourced body kit.

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 7:41 p.m.

Awesome, thanks Kendall, never heard of them, got some more research to do then, do you know if they work with normal fuel pumps, like could i fit a monza style filler cap on it so it could be used on the streets?

kaiscott98
kaiscott98 New Reader
1/7/20 7:48 p.m.

So, so quick researching on dry break systems, would suggest that the car may have ran in endurance stuff, like the 24 hours of daytona, the ascar and thundersaloons stuff in the uk races werent long enough to require multiple fuel stops and quick refueling, but my guess is the dry breaks were used for endurance and long distance racing which required multiple fuel stops as fast as possible.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/7/20 8:42 p.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

Fuel cell has a dry break fitting on it, it allows quick fill ups during pit stops.  I think kaizer (or kaiser style) dry breaks are still around.  Cool car.

This.  Kaiser makes (made?) the dry break valve for the cell. That oval top plate should have the vent line and feed for the engine and some kind of check valves to keep the cell from leaking in a rollover, usually metal balls or rubber flaps. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/7/20 8:46 p.m.

The fueling rig has a probe that pushes the center of the fuel cell's dry break open and the collar on the car side pushes bake the sleeve on the rig allowing fuel to flow into the cell quickly.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FaSD8EoJX7gwy6EGROzcMTmu61Z6idMrhXlrupdex7KEO1ldEl3LbVXPbV2qeiS