11 12 13
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/29/20 6:57 p.m.

Last time I tried to do that I just gave up and said I would be okay with some transmission fluid dripping instead lol.....

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
9/30/20 7:07 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

haha unfortunately it's leaking bad enough that it's flinging some trans fluid onto the exhaust and causing it to smoke. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/30/20 8:00 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

Don't be disappointed if the new one drools a little.

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
9/30/20 3:24 p.m.

seals replaced and ready for reassembly! 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/8/20 9:12 p.m.

Did you post this for sale on r3vlimited?

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
10/9/20 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I did :(

Sort of "testing the waters" at this point, I still intend to participate in rallycrosses until it sells. I've come to the realization that I needed to re-evaluate my priorities, and in that process the e30 project got bumped down the list. I'm not in any rush to sell, but at this point I'm thinking I should focus my time/money on buying a house rather than putting a cage in this and spending thousands per stage rally event.

I could keep it and just do rallycross, but to be honest I'm a bit burnt out from having multiple projects going on right now. I might pick up a daily that I can do the occassional rallycross in, but for now it's looking like I will be taking a hiatus from racing for a bit. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/9/20 8:13 a.m.
artur1808 said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

I did :(

Sort of "testing the waters" at this point, I still intend to participate in rallycrosses until it sells. I've come to the realization that I needed to re-evaluate my priorities, and in that process the e30 project got bumped down the list. I'm not in any rush to sell, but at this point I'm thinking I should focus my time/money on buying a house rather than putting a cage in this and spending thousands per stage rally event.

I could keep it and just do rallycross, but to be honest I'm a bit burnt out from having multiple projects going on right now. I might pick up a daily that I can do the occassional rallycross in, but for now it's looking like I will be taking a hiatus from racing for a bit. 

A new house definitely takes some priority in life, and now is a good time to buy!  

Are you coming to the I96 rallycross coming up next weekend? I just picked up a NA Miata to run in MR (will likely be selling my Fiesta ST as I just don't drive it) and RWD sounds like it's where the fun is! I definitely need to stop over and check out your build, very impressed.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/9/20 8:30 a.m.

I've been watching this project pretty closely, I really like what you've done so far.  It's not something I can afford at this point ($, space, distance, time)...but it does look like a blast to drive.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/9/20 2:42 p.m.

oh man I'm bummed and excited for you, DONT PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS LIKE THIS lol 

this is an incredibly well setup car for rallyx and wouldnt take much to make it stage worthy to be honest. I wanna test drive this I gotta check out this quickener e-steering assist thing... May be a good idea in my car. 

10/9/20 7:37 p.m.

Ah bummer to hear you're selling it, but I hear you on the house. I didn't really start doing any real significant car stuff until AFTER I bought my house (well, after i sold my first one and bought one with a garage!). House is a way better investment lol. Hopefully you can stay in the rallycross scene in one way or another!

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
10/12/20 10:15 a.m.

Thanks for the support guys. This is certainly not the way I imagined this project going, but I guess that's life, right? 

I plan on continuing to rallycross it until it sells (as my schedule allows), but don't intend to do any more upgrading at this time. Maybe just clean up the body work, monitor the engine and replace it if it seems to be hurting, etc.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
10/12/20 10:32 a.m.
artur1808 said:

Thanks for the support guys. This is certainly not the way I imagined this project going, but I guess that's life, right? 

I plan on continuing to rallycross it until it sells (as my schedule allows), but don't intend to do any more upgrading at this time. Maybe just clean up the body work, monitor the engine and replace it if it seems to be hurting, etc.

Good to hear you'll be continuing to use it, I'm sure putting a FS sign on at rallycross events will get attention from the right crowd too.  

Also really interested in checking out your rack quickener install, looks very clean.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/12/20 10:21 p.m.

Sorry to "out" you on the forum.  I put a feeler post to sell my E30 a while back and the local E30 crew started giving me a hard time immediately (even though I didn't post it in the group).

I'll need to go back and review the rack mod as well. 

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
10/13/20 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

haha that's no problem at all, reminded me to make a for sale post here:

shameless plug: For Sale Ad

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
10/20/20 10:24 a.m.

Had another rallycross this weekend and i slapped "for sale" on the back window in painters tape to get the word out some more. 

Our course designers really outdid themselves this time and the course was so much fun that I got a bit carried away blasting cones instead of being tidy. Managed 17 cones in my first 4 runs...

With that, any chance of being competitive for the day immediately went out the window so I decided to just go for raw times and outright speed. Once again we had 2 drivers in the car, and no issues with basically hot-lapping it. Definitely getting some noise from the lifters as the day went on and still had a bit of a leak getting onto the exhaust, but the car held up to the abuse great. 

My buddy was there with this 2.7L Turbo e30 as well, and we had a ton of fun swapping passengers around when we werent driving. Not my finest driving, but definitely one of the most fun days of rallycross I've ever had.

My favorite part about the above sequence is the downed cone that comes into the frame behind the car in the final picture. I think I hit 6 cones on this run?

10/20/20 4:37 p.m.
artur1808 said:

Had another rallycross this weekend and i slapped "for sale" on the back window in painters tape to get the word out some more. 

Our course designers really outdid themselves this time and the course was so much fun that I got a bit carried away blasting cones instead of being tidy. Managed 17 cones in my first 4 runs...

With that, any chance of being competitive for the day immediately went out the window so I decided to just go for raw times and outright speed. Once again we had 2 drivers in the car, and no issues with basically hot-lapping it. Definitely getting some noise from the lifters as the day went on and still had a bit of a leak getting onto the exhaust, but the car held up to the abuse great. 

My buddy was there with this 2.7L Turbo e30 as well, and we had a ton of fun swapping passengers around when we werent driving. Not my finest driving, but definitely one of the most fun days of rallycross I've ever had.

My favorite part about the above sequence is the downed cone that comes into the frame behind the car in the final picture. I think I hit 6 cones on this run?

Lol. You guys must be some wild drivers up there. In our MR class, If you hit more than two cones over a 10+ run day, it is pretty much guaranteed that you will not win the class. Even some of the crazy cone killer guys at the bottom of the class barely managed to get into double digits last weekend :) And if I was just guessing I would estimate we probably had 250 cones out on course in total. 

Edit: for the top four cars in MR, over 78 runs, a total of two cones were hit last wekeend. And both were hit by the guy who finished the second place both days, on his last run of the weekend.

do your course designers just set things up where it is impossible to drive cleanly? Or are there just no berkeleys given about cones up there?

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
10/22/20 8:56 a.m.

haha I think it's a bit of both. They definitely put extra cones in strategic areas and throw in some really tight chicanes to slow us down. But I can't blame the course designers, the course was an absolute riot. My cone hits were mostly just because I was driving like a buffoon. I was having way too much fun to care about cones and final results. 

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
11/12/20 6:54 a.m.

Our latest rallycross was a blast. Super dusty/silty conditions made for very little grip, but I picked a RWD car because I like sliding around so it was a blast. Beautiful weather, good friends, and some awesome racing. Couldn't have asked for a better final race in the e30!

It's a bittersweet moment, but the e30 is officially sold. I'm happy to say that it's going to a family that has a ton of experience working with BMW's and do a lot of racing in various forms. With any luck, we will see this car continue to compete at Detroit region rallycross events.

:')

11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fk6qLe6qK0DFxEBlVQlx3xhJJD15hBHNBtZPw0m2MdA6gAvN0HEt3O3hnKTZfbH6