1 2 3
BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
4/5/20 9:56 p.m.

New motor mount made it to my house despite the 'rona.  Spent this morning putting on the car, fiddling with the pulleys, and replacing the belt. Everything actually went smoothly, took the car out for a short, shelter-in-place, spring cruise. It was a good day. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
4/5/20 11:28 p.m.

I wish we had more going on in Montgomery like you seem to in Bham.  How often is your cars n coffee? Was it in front of Hoover Tactical?  Holler at me next time yall go driving, maybe i can come hang out in my "i know it's not a Mini but it is the A.N.S.W.E.R?"

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
4/5/20 11:30 p.m.

I understand there is no C&C these days.  Was i right about Midpond?

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/5/20 10:33 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

I wish we had more going on in Montgomery like you seem to in Bham.  How often is your cars n coffee? Was it in front of Hoover Tactical?  Holler at me next time yall go driving, maybe i can come hang out in my "i know it's not a Mini but it is the A.N.S.W.E.R?"

Apparently I missed the notification on the thread.  C&C moved to the Colonnade off 280.  I've not been since the move, but there wasn't a great opportunity either.  Midpond had to cancel a few events as well.

I'd love to get out and go for a drive.  I've taken a few small drives, but if anyone gets out of the house these days we try and make it a family thing.  Hopefully things will settle down soon and we can resume some of our normal activities.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
5/7/20 7:44 p.m.

I miss my old mini. I have a build thread on here from it. Best handling car I've owned.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
6/22/20 4:31 p.m.

Things are starting opening up some.  Was able to get out to the local Cars & Coffee (parked next to a Ferrari).  Planning on heading out to the Mini's first AutoX this upcoming weekend at the Barber Motorsports Proving Ground.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
6/23/20 9:35 a.m.

That is one huge turbo. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
6/28/20 6:27 a.m.

Had a good time back at AutoX for the first time in forever.  Mini survived without incident, that was good.  The driver was all kinds of rusty, but eventually put in a good run.  I'm still running on the tires the car came to me with, which are some un-rememberable name of economy tires, probably with 8000 treadwear rating.  That made for a lot of fun, but not a lot of speed.  Here's the best run:

And here is the rest of the runs, with varying degrees of learning the car and trying to remember what the hell I am doing:

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
6/28/20 6:56 a.m.

Here's the run times:

27 Brad Mintun 2003 Mini Cooper S BRG 49.309 dnf 51.560 dnf 48.810 48.071 49.131 48.293 48.236 47.329

Best time of a 47.3 wasn't great, placed me in 3rd in the Xtreme Street "group", first in my class of 1.  I ended up running XS-A class simply because I could not figure out how to make the registration site put me in the DSP.  It wouldn't have mattered, I would have been the only car in that class as well.

For comparison, there was only 1 other Mini participating.  It was a 2013 S on much nicer Toyo tires.  His best time was a 49.2.  I ended almost 2 seconds faster.  No a bad first outing.  Now, having run one... I have a much better idea of the things to fix:

1. Wheels and tires (obviously)
  2. Shocks... and maybe springs
  3. Shifter + knob (I ripped mine off on the second run and had to throw it in the back)

It was great to be out playing with cars again.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/28/20 1:22 p.m.

Barber is such a picturesque facility. Sadly, although I went there a couple of times I failed to go see the Museum and now I live in a different time zone.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
6/28/20 1:48 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I'm not a bike-guy but the museum is still pretty damn cool. I've been lucky and been given private access to the basement and build area.  There is some cool stuff just out of view there. 

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
D05QWpBCsAakrIrNA41pQBilnccwGivlJdKFxP83BNtiTP0fWKKoNT4aAf2E7w7V