1 2 3
Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
3/2/19 9:19 p.m.

The quest for 2019 dominance.

Well, I guess it's more of a quest to do better than last time.

EDIT:  Here are links to the engine swap and axle swap build threads.

Opel GT SR20DET Engine Swap

Volvo 1031 (Dana 30) Rear Axle Swap

Semi-recent walk around video.

Challenge Opel GT Overview

bigben
bigben Reader
3/2/19 9:29 p.m.

Let's start by making some adjustments to the exhaust.

bigben
bigben Reader
3/2/19 9:46 p.m.

Here is the old exhaust system compared to the new lower restriction design.

bigben
bigben Reader
3/6/19 11:53 p.m.

Elbow welded to the down pipe in order to eliminate a clamp. Woohoo, $10 back in the budget to spend somewhere else.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
3/7/19 12:09 p.m.

Public service announcement: cinder blocks are a dangerous means of supporting a car.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
3/7/19 12:11 p.m.
GarageGorilla said:

Public service announcement: cinder blocks are a dangerous means of supporting a car.

Listen to this man, he is speaking truth.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
3/7/19 12:12 p.m.

turn that block 90 degrees it will be a bit safe

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/7/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to tdrrally :

Not safe period. They fail spontainiouslly with no warning.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/7/19 12:28 p.m.

90-degrees is a little better, at least it is the direction they were designed to support.  Wood cribbing is the cheap way to support something!

bigben
bigben Reader
3/8/19 1:09 a.m.

Well I admit I didn't use Euler's column equation to analyze my block loading, but at 500 lb load per block I was not too concerned. 

bigben
bigben Reader
3/24/19 12:50 a.m.

Getting some work done on a new torque arm cross member which may tie into sub frame connectors at a later date.

bigben
bigben Reader
10/5/19 11:47 p.m.

Nothing like procrastinating to the last minute.

I finally got some time on the car. I hope I can get my to do list done before the challenge!

Torque arm 2.0 and subframe are done.

bigben
bigben Reader
10/25/19 9:15 p.m.

Well the torque arm and crossmember functioned great; however, the front u-joint didn't fair so well when I launched with warmed up Hoosier S80's.

Bigben
Bigben Reader
9/18/22 1:10 a.m.

I really need to update this to the 2022 version. 

Let's start with some new safety gear I picked up today from one of this year's Challenge sponsors #Summit Racing. 

It was a busy Saturday and I didn't feel like waiting around to order and wait for the warehouse to pull the order, but then I spotted a small sign in the tool aisle that they are having a 10% off sale this weekend because of the Good Guys Lonestar Invitational.  Well that convinced me it was worth it to stick around. I saved over $30 on an Sa2020 helmet and a SFI driving suit. Now at least my gear will pass tech.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/25/23 8:23 p.m.
Bigben said:

The quest for 2019 dominance.

Well, I guess it's more of a quest to do better than last time.

EDIT:  Here are links to the engine swap and axle swap build threads.

Opel GT SR20DET Engine Swap

Volvo 1031 (Dana 30) Rear Axle Swap

More recent walk around video.

Challenge Opel GT Overview

I guess it is about time I start posting some updates. I have been putting together some videos of modifications that I will start posting soon. 

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 2:07 a.m.

Here's probably the most significant upgrade for this year's Challenge.  I finally got wider wheels(15x9) and I'm going to splurge on new autocross tires. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
2/26/23 7:55 a.m.

Very cool and inspiring for my GT build.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/26/23 9:32 a.m.

How have you done in the past?   Looks like a potent little package

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

10th overall in 2016 and 14th overall in 2019, if I remember correctly.  2019 would have been better if I hadn't snapped a u-joint on the first drag launch.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/26/23 11:54 a.m.

I cringe when i look at those pictures.  GRM should somehow get together and buy that man some jackstands.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, this has already been brought up and discussed. I have jack stands and ramps too.  Each block is only supporting about 500 lbs. This isn't a full size pickup parked on them. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/26/23 4:21 p.m.

I know I appear to be an old has-been Boomer, but in my lifetime I've seen so many deaths that could have easily prevented.  A guy 1/4 mile from where I live died last year from not being able to lift a car off himself...

I work in construction almost every day.  I've seen framing hammers drop on a block and it break.  You are supporting the wheel weight on one center web of the block.

Don't take my post as angry, I just care.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks. I appreciate the concern. 

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 10:51 p.m.

After reviewing photos of the 2019 Challenge I decided that I needed to reduce body roll so I took off the solid 7/8" VW sway bar I had on the front and picked up a significantly larger diameter 4th Gen Firebird sway bar. I shortened it to fit, swapped the ends and welded them back on.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
2/26/23 11:27 p.m.

During both the 2016 and 2019 Challenge the Pro drivers commented that the original thin wood steering wheel was hard to grip. So, using some felt weatherstripping and a leftover piece of vinyl, I made the steering wheel thicker and hand stitch a steering wheel cover.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hca7BOYdI9Gq3c1Th8UH1aAi4DbjLP7dtMtAiieDQZaZnuDfryYeyqG5GTrTPLo4