1 2
Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/5/18 9:36 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Seems like either the water pump isn’t turning/pumping, there’s a blockage preventing full flow, there’s air trapped in the system, or combustion temps are higher than normal. 

Have you checked for any crud between the radiator & condenser? Did you bleed it with the heater set on full-hot?

Far-out guess: could the aftermarket radiator be flowing too well preventing the coolant from transferring enough heat?

New Water pump, nothing between condenser and radiator, checked just now, bled it with nose 2 foot in the air, heater on, pumped all hoses, has a new OEM 2 stage thermostat replacing a single stage that was in it.

So I have a thought, I have not back flushed or checked flow through the heater core. It pumps out heat, but it may be somewhat blocked. I'm going to change the oil and at the same time flush it, make it look like a water show in Vegas! I am going to make sure there is nothing blocked anywhere. Then fill and burp it again.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/9/18 1:53 p.m.

Went to change the oil, noticed this coolant:

The over flow is full and when I crawled under it had dripped a little:

It wasn't covered in coolant so it had to have just started. That clamp was slightly loose, tightened it.

But I was changing my oil and only got 2.5 quarts out not including the filter.

I checked the oil 250 miles ago (1 tank of fuel) and it had dropped on the dip stick, but not substantially. 

While draining the oil I notice this:

It had a nice coating of oil and dirt (I live on a gravel road). I had washed the engine and transmission, not show room clean, but this area was much cleaner.

I am going to guess that either my rear main is gone, or there is another leak toward the back of the engine.

I am thinking that I may just pull the engine, check everything out and put it back together with new gaskets etc. That way I know its not going to leak. I will get the head checked for warpage etc. Basic idea is to make it hold oil and solid for street driving.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
7/9/18 2:12 p.m.

Good chance its the CAS leaking. Cheap and easy fix. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/9/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Agreed, try the cas o-ring first. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/9/18 10:47 p.m.

I didn't want to declare it the rear main because I didn't know what else might leak back there. But I am off tomorrow so I can check that out.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/14/18 10:13 p.m.

I was hoping it was the CAS, I went and washed the engine, drove home and got it lifted. I couldn't wash under it really well but did spray it.

And my new oil is falling out at a slow but steady rate when the engine is running. I had time as the drips fell to try catching a picture of some mid flight, ain't as easy as you would think.

I washed the CAS area pretty good, and the transmission is still clean. So the oil isn't coming from the CAS.

So I guess I am going to pull it and put a rear main seal in.  I figure I will get the CAS o-ring also.

On the positive side, most of the engine and bay are cleaner...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/15/18 12:49 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

While you’re in there I’d plan on a trans input gasket & seal, and you may want to reseal the oil pan too. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/15/18 8:49 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Bent-Valve :

While you’re in there I’d plan on a trans input gasket & seal, and you may want to reseal the oil pan too. 

I was thinking about doing all the engine gaskets / seals since I have it out to prevent future leaks.

I wondered about the transmission, so those are added to the list. Good call. I'll check the throwout bearing.

What else would you consider in a "prevent future headaches" but don't break the bank theme?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/15/18 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Well, clutch/timing belt/water pump, but I figured those were a given(if they’re not already new). If the trans is coming out you might as well do the output seal too. 

It would be a good time to do motor mounts if it needs them or you think there’s too much drivetrain lash. Engine hoses too, if they’re old. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/24/18 9:48 a.m.

I put the Despec'd Miata up on blocks, drained the oil, and then Pyro (aka Mrs. Bent-Valve) threw a monkey plan in my wrench.

So I put the oil back in the Miata, gave her my DD so she could drop her truck off to get the headliner replaced in her truck.

Then I stumbled on a CL add for a 1.8 BP that led to some interior panels. (need a cheap beat up Miata body?)

I know many of you think that creature comforts are over rated I however drove cross country in this:

Sorry for the poor image, its the only one I could find of the before...

So as of this morning it looks like this:

I am going to drive it to work today before I pull the engine in the next week or so. Also its not an exact match and a little beat up so I may recover the panels.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/31/18 9:30 a.m.

All of you on this forum know that itch, you know, when you see THAT car, the one you have wanted for so long and then you find out its priced right?

Well for me its the RX-8, and for better or for worse (?) I found one and decided to get it, sad part is Despec'd has to be sacrificed to pay for it.

I however, cannot in good conscience sell it with a leaking main seal, it keeps getting worse and will soak the clutch if it hasn't already etc etc etc.

So I have the engine loose, and slightly elevated --

But I am not lifting it until tonight or tomorrow, because I ran out of plywood!

I plan to replace a few things that are difficult to get to in addition to the rear main seal, like heater hoses and this sensor.

And since I snapped this one while removing the power steering pump I guess it needs a new one also...

It was pretty crusty and even though it worked I'm not sure it worked right and I was going to replace it anyway so I'm not feeling bad about breaking it.

I will finish the documentation of this project and then start on the RX-8 when I get it. Of course I guess this being GRM I should start a build thread before I buy the car? wink

On a side note I have decided to pour another slab in the barn, I am getting to old to be working on gravel, it hurts! But that will have to wait until I get this project done and clean the barn out. Also the RX-8 may work with one motor change or may need to be fitted with an engine swap, I really  think a 20x20 section of concrete would make that MUCH easier.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/31/18 9:34 a.m.

Oh and this is what I found, 2004 6 port, manual with a spare motor sitting in a crate. It was a project that interest was lost on, the best kind for people like us!

And I even like the color! laugh

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
8/7/18 10:54 p.m.

Well this post will wrap up the Despec'd Miata.

I have it sold to a friends brother Josh, and knowing it leaked I decided I wouldn't sell it like that, then the sink hole opened and swallowed me....

New parts:

• Both thermostat housing and block temp sensors
  • Heater hoses / lower radiator hose /
  • Clutch Pilot bearing (was kinda stiff)
  • Cleaned the flywheel / pressure plate threads and got new bolts (old were marginal)
  • New main seal -- the original problem 
  • Exhaust gaskets
  • New lower mounting bolts to replace the stock Miata pins on the radiator
  • Various bolts here and there like cat to header etc
  • Additional oil change because I drained the last one after 100 or so miles
  • I added Sea Foam and it is amazing how dark that first oil was when it came out

Pictures:

Back in and without Matt's help it would still be a work in progress.

I think that covers it. It started with about 2 rotations, oil pressure came up and it ran like it was supposed to. Burped and test run, no major issues.

Oh, and I had a supervisor, now named Ziggy. We figure someone threw him out and we have tamed him enough to pet.

He was starving, I think we found him and got him to eat just in time, many small meals over a couple of days and he is now acting like a kitten should. As I was working he would run around me tail in the air, then sit and purr. Finally I just grabbed him as he walked by, started petting him, then put him back down. He figured out people were not such a bad thing.

But at first he was really shy and this was really close for him.

Well onto the next adventure.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c6ZxgA15N6gCj4hPzX7rlcjHvHo7R7pVhSiGqoAHmr2L1SEwNuACqUvt9zXukGtm