1 2 3 4
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/10/14 6:23 p.m.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/10/14 6:34 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

Dude, chill out. We get it, you're disappointed with how the build is going. Some of us are interested to see how it will play out.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
5/10/14 8:07 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: "I get crap from people all the time because I have access to special tools and special knowledge, etc." Maybe you need to think about that then... And there it is ! In a fracking box from Ford with a bar code and everything else. Sure, it can be bought and sure someone can spend a lifetime making it work, but you got it delivered to your damned door while everyone elde reading about this "build" has mud up their shins from climbing through scrap yards looking for . . . well . . . scraps. If $1899 is anywhere near the cost, then this is all bull E36 M3. Ain't jealous at all, don't even like what you're building, just fed up with this kind of thing spreading across forums that feature grass roots kind of builds. You're being spoon fed all of the expensive parts and tech for the build. If you were actually hunting this stuff down in a junk yard or searching the internet for resources, OK, but just waiting for Ford to show up at the door is not the way. If people give you crap all the time because of what you do and how you do it, then take it to heart, or you're just bull E36 M3ting yourself.

I would believe that Keith has given a bit of thought to what he does and how he does it... And is happy with the fact that he's built some cool cars, on jackstands, in his garage. Yes, he may have a bit more access to some specialized parts and knowledge, but probably not as much as you seem to think.

And it's a moot-point, since you're blowing E36 M3 at a guy who is not even building this car.

Also, to me it doesn't matter that the actual person involved in this project works for an automotive magazine. Yeah, it can provide him with contacts that can help with the build.

Guess what? I don't work for an automotive magazine, but I have developed contacts and relationships with people who can help me with the build-skills that I am deficient in.

How have I done this? By not being a dick.

""

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/10/14 10:17 p.m.

First my disclaimer for this post:

In reply to TeamEvil:

I might not be the doorman but if anytime someone complains (and I've done it) they're told "you don't have to click on it"

As for the build, I assume you never read magazine project articles? If you don't then I see your dilemma. Of course Ford won't let him fail, but is he going to turn down a free engine? I sure as hell wouldn't. It doesn't come across to me like he went seeking it out either. And yeah, most of the time build threads or project logs are updated when solutions to problems are found, in this case Ford provided the solution.

I'm sorry if Zach's, Keith's, and other members of this forum's ideas of what constitues "garage built" or "GRM" don't line up with yours. Mods please add an edit to the thread title that states "obviously fake "garage" build done by road and track magazine" so panties can be unbunched.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/10/14 10:52 p.m.

Having seen both sides of "magazine builds", it's never as smooth and easy (or time pressured or dramatic) as the edited highlights would have you believe. The timeframe is always very different and all the hard work of research, parts chasing and problem solving is glossed over. There's a reason this particular build went so long without updates. I'm just hoping Zach has a running turbo four cylinder Mustang before they show up in showrooms!

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
5/11/14 6:57 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Mods please add an edit to the thread title that states "obviously fake "garage" build done by road and track magazine" so TEAMEVIL's panties can be unbunched.

Outstanding post. A bit of editing to improve (IMO) one piece of it.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the project. I don't give a crap where his parts are coming from or who's providing technical support.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/11/14 7:39 a.m.

Magic boxes arrive for my AMC build all the time from my dad, guess my build is bullE36 M3, too.

Pretty sure I read an article in this month's GRM about a magic box solving a problem for tuna's truck, too...

I like this build and think it's grassroots.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/14 10:36 a.m.

I don't give a berkeley what goes in the damn car, it's an old ratty 4 cylinder mustang he's starting with.

Mercedes could give him a full C63 AMG dropout including electronics as a surprise birthday gift to put in the damn car, and it would STILL be grassroots.

Why? Because it's a ratty old 4 cylinder mustang being built in a dude's garage, for berkeley's sake.

I still don't understand what about the ECU set this dude off. That's a cheap ECU. It's not like Ford made the damn thing specifically for him and nobody else. Ford sells a crate motor? They have to sell the ECU/wiring to go with it. Pretty simple. The Ugly Horse didn't have a damn thing to do about it. Cry more.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
5/11/14 3:12 p.m.

Cool project. Lucky dude. Fine to be jealous.. I know that I am. And I don't even work on cars outside of changing window motors, air filters, oxygen sensors. Subscribed, regardless.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
5/11/14 4:04 p.m.

Meow meow meow meow. Meow meow. Cry cry meow.

Wow, hopefully that is over.

Continue with the build discussion please!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
5/11/14 5:08 p.m.

Cool swap. Now let's stop with the poo-pooing of the thread and see more updates!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/11/14 6:47 p.m.

I'll keep you up to date in anything I learn. The published updates on R&T lag behind the actual work. Zach spent last week building a rack for his IH Scout pickup, I can tell you that :D

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
5/14/14 3:41 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Anybody taking bets how long it is until the next update? I'm guessing the focus will be on mounting/mechanical adaptation for a while, hoping for some magical ECU to fall from heaven...

From June of last year. Funny how things work out, huh?

Bryce

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/31/14 3:24 p.m.

Project update! Zach was hanging out in Grand Junction a couple of weeks ago when he brought the Million Mile Miata through town. We spent a bunch of time talking about this build - a lot of it about the bell housing and the dimensions of the high pressure fuel pump, as they were areas of mutual interest. Car guys, sheesh. Anyhow, we now have an update on how he'll deal with the transmission.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/web-originals/project-ugly-horse-miata-transmission

For the doubters, he's paying market value for that trans. He didn't have to look very hard, though - I knew he'd probably come looking for one, so I was ready.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/13/14 9:46 p.m.

NC trans is an interesting development. I wonder if it could be used on a Ranger in lieu of a T5 for something like this... what's FM's salvage price for one of these again?

I'm pretty excited that while I was away on vacation, Ford finally released an Ecoboost I4 control pack like the Coyote one very soon after my post. This is giving me a lot of terrible, terrible ideas.

I really hope they don't release a 1.0L Ecoboost control pack and crate engine. That would be awful. Don't do that, Ford.

Also disregard what other people in this thread have said and send me free parts, because I am not an automotive journalist and will cheerfully allow that bribery to bias my articles to a degree you will find most pleasing.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
6/14/14 2:25 p.m.

OMG it's so fake!!

But seriously this is an awesome build.

slow
slow New Reader
6/23/14 2:17 p.m.

The amount of energy here to seek the truth of if we are getting played would make WWR marketing people think twice.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/24/14 7:33 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: NC trans is an interesting development. I wonder if it could be used on a Ranger in lieu of a T5 for something like this... what's FM's salvage price for one of these again? I'm pretty excited that while I was away on vacation, Ford finally released an Ecoboost I4 control pack like the Coyote one very soon after my post. This is giving me a lot of terrible, terrible ideas. I really hope they don't release a 1.0L Ecoboost control pack and crate engine. That would be awful. Don't do that, Ford. Also disregard what other people in this thread have said and send me free parts, because I am not an automotive journalist and will cheerfully allow that bribery to bias my articles to a degree you will find most pleasing.

You do realize that the Duratec came in the 2001+ Ranger and it could come with a manual transmission?

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/24/14 8:32 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

I have heard that. They're a little hard to find out here but I think it might pay off.

It would probably just bolt right in. Do the manual Duratec Rangers still have a T5 or is it some new transmission?

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
3/27/15 2:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm just hoping Zach has a running turbo four cylinder Mustang before they show up in showrooms!

So, it looks like Ford beat Zach. Is the project totally stalled or...?

Bryce

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/27/15 7:44 a.m.

Zach had a baby and the Horse got kicked out of the garage for a while. But it's back in as of a couple of weeks ago, and I saw a picture of a gutted interior last week. I think it might be underway once more.

But yes. Zach lost the race to Ford.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/27/15 6:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: But yes. Zach lost the race to Ford.

Who cares? I just want to see it running. I can get one of those engines easily (friend's wrecked car sitting in his backyard). And I know where there is a cheap car I would love to stick it in.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/27/15 7:57 p.m.

Hrmmm... Didnt make the connection that the ecoboost would bolt to the NC trans.

In for Ecoboost powered NC.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/27/15 10:20 p.m.

Trust me, I've been asking Zach for some dimensions. He's actually got an NC. I might have maybe suggested the engine should go in that chassis instead

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
3/27/15 10:35 p.m.

Get the business card from Zach and have his Ford contact accidentally leave a 1.0L Ecoboost lying around in the FM forecourt.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qUVsXiClUYG0N0kKleozXk7D4LYy8B6hfQUtIdw2dbkitpV90mHXIxgQjhTKxRSw