1 2 3
TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 2:57 p.m.

Delayed start to this thread, but might be interesting to a few...

Bought this 2018 Camaro SS 1LE new from Tampa, Florida expressly to take overseas to Germany for a multi-year employment opportunity.

At the time, left the lot for $8200 of MSRP...but it I came to find out it had an issue that nearly lemon lawed the car.  The dealer installed GM Performance Intake did not include the reprogram of the computer which caused severe misfire once on a track.  Tough to diagnose and stressing as the ship out date grew closer.  In the end, they reprogramed it and the car arrived in fine shape in Germany.

I wasted no time visiting the Autobahn (first day!) and soon after on temp plate the Nurburgring.

Nearly 10 visits the Ring and fun runs to 175 mph completely stock brought big smiles!

**Autobahn - 175 MPH**

Love to hear that V-8 straining against the aerodynamic forces!

Incredibly impressed with this Chevrolet product - makes one feel like a dynamo behind the wheel.  Great brakes, huge tires, and a glorious sounding soundtrack.  Except even the mid-sized AMG kept flashing their lights at me in the left lane...

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 3:09 p.m.

Even drove the Camaro to Goodwood Festival of Speed in UK...by far the best motorsport event I've attended!  The Camaro is considered Specialty Car Park material so...able to pack just down from the start line!  Awesome considering the Paganis were surrounding us at the end of the day.  Cool!

Chunnel was amazing...

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 3:18 p.m.

To address the lack of autobahn oomph under the hood...I located a new LT4 blower and bought an OEM parts kit to install on my cast piston LT1 along with LT4 injectors and fuel pump.  

A fair bit of anxiety at the thought of disassembling my 7000 mile (first!) new car...

The 'iron' lung is heavy!

Resulted in a dyno proven additional 195 CHP!

Car now leaps off the ground...incredible transformation! 

Really impressed with modern technology...idles at 650 rpm and makes 650 HP...pulls like an athletic big block!  Far more than I can handle on the track...and nearly enough on the autobahn.

The exhaust note was exhilarating with 11 psi of boost on top of 11.5 compression ratio...(98 Euro octane fuel + octane booster):

**Nurburging #13**

190 mph was the result...hitting 6550 RPM and no more...then a piston popped...blowing the rear main seal out.  

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 3:38 p.m.

Since I couldn't ask Chevy to fix it...up on jackstands it went for that winter and begun pulling the transmission - scary!

The offending item...or so I thought:

Figured I should drop the boost...so had the blower 'ported' by Kong to include a larger pulley to slow the blower down.

Unfortunately, the dyno said the motor was hurt (cracked piston).  But it lasted for another year with bit more catch can fill each visit.  Until...it didn't...158 MPH on the fastest part of the Ring - poof...like NASCAR!  At least I got a good story out of the very expensive recovery off the track, 150 pounds of oil dry, and the 200 mile tow home...

So the car sat for 2 years as we planned the return, collected parts, and worked on another fun project:

**Classroom - EVO 5** 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/3/24 3:48 p.m.

It's funny that at 150mph the video looks like you're not going that fast until you pass someone then it's time to pucker up a little.  Good job 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/3/24 3:48 p.m.

Oh man this is cool 

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 4:00 p.m.

With the Evo up and running satisfactorily...the new and improved LT1 began to take shape...starting with a new OEM block:

$350 shipped to Stuttgart!

Added a slightly hotter cam, forged 416 rotating assembly with 10.5 compression, and factory titanium intake valves since valve float seemed to limit the engine to 6550 rpm previously.

I did enlist the kiddos in this build as much as possible, but high schoolers are a busy bunch!

No more displacement on demand along with its heavy lifters:

Nearly 2 years in the making...finally in one piece.  Hoping the larger displacement will offset the lower boost and eliminate the 'mild' knock I was experiencing.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

It runs!

Quite proud seeing this modern engine run after sitting for almost exactly 2 years along with the 1-3 month part supply lines we were dealing with...

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 4:24 p.m.

Put 1300 miles on it and switched it to Motul synthetic...looks factory except the air intake I finally bought:

To the dyno we go!

And the motor is a turd!  Just kidding...just beginning to fine tune the combination.  Tuner provided a very conservative tune along with the car switching to a low octane map...resulted in 640 CHP...15 less than stock LT1 with LT4 blower!  However, it did pull strongly to 7100 RPM and didn't scatter after 4 full runs.  Unfortunately, this was Thanksgiving and the snow started to fly before another visit with additional ignition timing was added...

So it sat over the winter until it deposited some thick black goo under the bellhousing...the dual mass flywheel failed - odd!

And another transmission pull with 40 degree tile temps...scary and chilly!

New OEM clutch and flywheel installed (twin disc from the factory that you can push with your hand!):

Today it ran...again!

I certainly don't need any more power for the track (I'm not that good of a driver), but autobahn requires ~6800 RPM to reach the magical 200 MPH number.  We will see what the year brings...absolutely awesome car Chevrolet has given us - great times we live in!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/3/24 4:37 p.m.

Datsun240ZGuy:  The factory installed camera doesn't provide the speed resolution that a Go-Pro for instance does.  Fortunately, the car is rock stable in my experience - no complaints!

classicJackets (FS):  Agreed - we are very fortunate to make the trek with such a fun car.  25 mpg (stock) and now 31,000 miles later, it makes for a great European touring auto.  Hope to add Spa to the tracks this car has taken us to (Hockenheim, Nurburgring GP, Palm Beach Raceway, Bradenton Drags).

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/3/24 6:44 p.m.

This is an awesome thread - you must be wearing out that credit card........

TimM
TimM Reader
2/4/24 2:33 a.m.

Datsun240ZGuy:  Well, we have stretched the costs out and attempted to do all the work ourselves...partly because of the language barrier!  The new engine was not expected, but wasn't a surprise.  Hypereutectic pistons are great, but 11.5 CR and 11 psi of boost along with 3+ miles of topend run length with a bit of knock exceeded their capability.

The blower was new off a crate engine for $1800.  The OEM parts were all quite reasonable and bolted on without drama.  The tuner is US based and has these cars down to a science. 

Admittedly, the Ti valves are a bit extravagent, but are production pieces (still $80 a piece x 8) and stiffer beehive springs couldn't get any more RPM from the engine at the time.

Not sure on the flywheel - hardly stressing the unit.  Same as a 650 CHP ZL1 so...  The clutch looked hardly worn, but considering the pain of removing the trans - did both to eliminate future challenges.

No issues - great fun we are having thanks to a couple of German friends supplying the engine hoist and some machining (cylinder head decking).

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
2/4/24 7:37 a.m.

What a great thread! Thanks for taking us along on the adventure! I'm curious to know what type of work took you to such a cool location for a few years. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity, especially for your kid(s). 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
2/4/24 8:11 a.m.

Fun to compare this to SS to M539 restoration's "project Raleigh" on YouTube - watching the V10 M5 keep accelerating to 205 mph on worn out suspension was.. nuts. 

Link

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
2/4/24 11:22 a.m.

Seems that at this point looking at reducing drag would yield some favorable results too

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
2/4/24 12:51 p.m.

I love everything about this thread! Can't wait to see the adventure ahead!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/4/24 1:36 p.m.

dyintorace:  I support US forces overseas.  Agreed on the kids...main reason we took the position.  The oldest has even turned a few laps on the Ring...with 78 CHP underfoot - a favorite image:

OHSCrifle:  Love that channel.  Love the V-10 M5 even more!  Sold ours when we headed overseas...unfortunately.  Reliability just wasn't in the cards for European travels...nicest car I will likely ever own.

jfryjfry:  Not sure what I could change for aerodynamics.  This SS 1LE lacks any of the ZL1 1LE wings/canards.  Honestly, I think ability to rev to 6800 will be sufficient.  This car actually has better gearing than a standard ZL1, which hits redline in 5th @ 175.  Only 10 MPH more is required...  I do expect this new engine to be a bit more peppy than the last one due to the growth in size and cam, but the blower is past its volume sweetspot.  German laws are incredibly strict for modifications - failing a visual can lead to one getting the car confiscated.  One reason I've avoided adding an air intake until only recently.

It moves - with 6 gears and reverse even with no leaks - wonderful!:

Mild cam idle (click on the image to play):

preach
preach UltraDork
2/4/24 4:01 p.m.
TimM said:

I support US forces overseas. 

Thank you.

I support them under the seas.

TimM
TimM Reader
2/5/24 4:10 p.m.

preach - I salute you!

Should include my best lap of the Ring - not the most exciting, but...

TimM
TimM Reader
2/8/24 3:46 p.m.
rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
2/18/24 12:04 p.m.

This thread is excellent--it really is a great testament to what sports car ownership used to be, as opposed to a situation where everyone's comparing trailers in a pit.  I hope to attain some of your Euro driving experience some time in the next few years!

Side note:  It is interesting to see an LT engine struggling to work over 6500 rpms, but that's factory safety for you.  The LS knocks this out pretty easily with upgraded valve springs . . .

TimM
TimM Reader
2/19/24 1:40 p.m.

rustomatic:  you and I think alike!  We are having time of our lives putting this Chevy thru its paces.  I was disappointed it wouldn't rev higher than 6550 on the topend run.  Even with stiffer springs - no dice.  The Displacement on Demand lifters are huge and even though this car doesn't have it energized, they are still present on 4 of the cylinders.  New 416 is using rev-happy Johnson R lifters and titanium intake valves (OEM pieces!)

Unseasonably warm here in Stuttgart...decided it was brake bleeding day using Motul 660 fluid and installing Cadillac brake deflectors:

OEM install:

Removed:

Cadillac deflectors installed:

I was amazed at the ease of install - everything just bolted up.  Only modification was two holes to reattach the wiring harness as OEM was.  Several times the surface area - will it help?  Admittedly, I have no issues with the brakes, but cooler means longer life, right?  Can't complain for $19 purchase price.

There is risk of increased drag, but I've got faith in 416 cubic inches!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/25/24 11:44 a.m.

50+ degrees here today and with no salt...so gave it a bath:

Feels like a bit more snap with the updated program...dyno will tell the tale!

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
2/27/24 7:48 a.m.

It is so awesome to see that the primary purpose of this build (or any build really) is to just decimate the Autobahn. It's even cooler because it's NOT a German car. Post more videos of those top speed runs when you can !

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
2/27/24 10:37 a.m.

as the fairly new owner of a 2020 LT1, its so cool to see one of these 6th gens in a project thread, especially a 1LE that's getting to go wild on one of the world's greatest tracks!  loving the adventure so far, its going to be an amazing day when you crack that big 2-0-0.

TimM
TimM Reader
3/1/24 2:18 p.m.

Gents - we'll try to carry the American flag high in the foreign land.  Would be a shame not to take advantage of the opportunities!

Wonderful weather allowed near 400-mile road trip...late night, clear autobahn was a treat although no records were attempted.  100 mph average was easy with the 17.5 mpg result...pretty good! 

Held 200 (kph) for a good portion - interesting to see the speed needle pegged even if only 124 mph.  It did sound good at 5000 rpm/160 mph though!  Drained the oil for a quick look see...we'll take a look after it sits for a day or two.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qh6vCF3Y8EZEgrejYRkD4B9DYLyZ1F3r7rtstwG3ES2OU60L5V8EiWma2rlpqfAW