Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/22/19 1:41 p.m.

It's build thread time! 

A long time ago, in what seems like a galaxy fa, far away... 

I bought a truck. I had just gotten divorced and moved out and needed something to do and this Bronco just kind of fell into my lap at the right place and time. A local car lot that I did business with back when I was slinging tires got it in on trade and couldn't keep the thing running to save their lives. I had no idea what year it was, what to do to fix it, or anything really. I bought it for $500 (plus all the other stupid dealer fees, so it ended up being about $780) and had Hagerty pick it up with a flat bed and deliver it to me.

After much sleuthing about I figured out that the battery had 12V but only 180 amps and replaced it along with the negative cable. Now it fired up and ran and stayed running! Once it drove, the main issue was the new tie rod ends weren't locked down, so it tended to wander all over the berking place, so I fixed that. Then I pretty much just sat on it.

I fixed a few more things on it here and there but the biggy was really swapping out the 3 15x10 and one 16x7 for a set of 4 17x9 wheels and Cooper Discoverer ATR tires. Those along with the manual front hubs and manual transfer case meant I could go wheeling!

Next up was winter, particularly "Snowmageddon". Up here in the Pacific Northwest we got hammered with three big winter storms this year, which is about 3 more than usual! Once again, the big Bronc showed it's worth and I had a ball in the snow.

After surviving the winter I figured it deserved some more love and did a pretty thorough tune up with plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil and filter change, etc.

Then I unceremoniously put it up for sale and got browbeat by tire kickers because it was dirty. So I decided to give it what it deserves with a proper rejuvenation, starting with a good detail.

And that's where we are today. I'll be continuing to address the cosmetics on the Bronco and do little mechanical jobs as needed to make it as nice as possible to sell on, hopefully for a profit. This project is my current focus, as I'd like to get it sold soon for more money to put down on my house.

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
5/22/19 3:52 p.m.

I love that gen of broncos as my dad had one in the early to mid 90’s but sold it before I got my license.  Sadly up here in the NE there either rotted or pricey.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
5/22/19 4:19 p.m.

To me, that hood's paint is screaming "roller job" for a low buck improvement.  Since it's white it should be easy to get a decent enough match without doing anything buy buying a can of gloss white.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/22/19 4:21 p.m.

I love OJ full size Broncos. I have dont a ton of shannangins in one. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/22/19 11:28 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

To me, that hood's paint is screaming "roller job" for a low buck improvement.  Since it's white it should be easy to get a decent enough match without doing anything buy buying a can of gloss white.

I considered that, but the underside got berked by the battery explosion, too., and a junkyard hood is cheap. Just gotta stop being lazy I guess...

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
5/23/19 1:30 a.m.

Oh gosh, your videos make me miss my old 1995 5.8L that I just 2 years ago.

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
5/23/19 6:27 a.m.

My first car was one of these - I'll enjoy watching along.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/23/19 9:39 a.m.
GarageGorilla said:

Oh gosh, your videos make me miss my old 1995 5.8L that I just 2 years ago.

You can buy mine! laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2U2BSQrvlQl1axp2X8NwC9l5FOLTo1jdeL7DYVACaHwYcFSEOfSB1T3JXFeUutyr