914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/22/22 2:24 p.m.
hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
2/22/22 2:34 p.m.

What could go wrong?

Well first, the hydraulic system (edit) probably.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/22/22 2:45 p.m.

My son bought a Mercedes wagon that had hydraulic levelers, the low-rider-wannabe previous owner just cut the hoses.  Put it down on the snubbers forever.  I think better shocks fixed all that, is that a possibility here?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/22/22 3:15 p.m.

That is so funky cool

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/22/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Not as much, no.  The Citroen hydraulics system includes the front and rear struts, the brakes, and the steering.  If it's shot (as often happens from corrosion of seals or lines) or if someone has put the wrong fluid in, the entire system is in need of overhaul/replacement.  It's not just power assist on the steering, the Diravi steering actually uses the hydraulics to provide most of the interface between the steering wheel and the roadwheels .  When the system is depressurized, it takes more that a half rotation of the steering wheel to have any effect at the tire.

The brakes are a similar story.  There is an anti-dive mechanism that bleeds pressure off the rear struts as the brakes are applied.  Removing the struts from the system would completely change how the brakes apply and probably result in locking up under normal driving conditions.

The system is hydro-pneumatic, meaning there are small nitrogen-filled bladders at the top of each strut that function as the spring portion of the suspension.  There aren't any readily available perches to put a standard coil spring against.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/22/22 3:26 p.m.

holy E36 M3! ( why does it always change Holy Sh*t to Holy E36 M3?? annoying..)

that is in really nice shape ....

for any 50 year old car ....

for $4000.... 

and a Citroen to boot... 

those Citroens are awesome... 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/22/22 3:40 p.m.

When they were new cars my father took one look and said"If it had one more pipe it would be human!" He wouldn't work on one if it came to the doorblush

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/22/22 4:00 p.m.

I really need to stop looking at this topic. Yesterday it was $1,500 D-Types clones and today it is $3-4K Citroen DS21's. Makes me scared to come back tomorrow and see what you all find out there!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/22/22 5:09 p.m.

I will forever regret not buying this.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/22/22 5:16 p.m.

More than could go right, I suspect. 

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
2/22/22 5:45 p.m.

The want is strong!