1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/8/15 10:57 a.m.
ccrelan wrote: Aren't these Alfas are being sold in very limited numbers? I don't get the niche car to vette/miata comparison here.

Just because it's niche doesn't mean it shouldn't compare well to other vehicles.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
8/8/15 6:13 p.m.

I really want one of these too, but based on what else is out there for the same price it's hard to justify it. A car like this would do well in the $35,000-$40,000 bracket. It needs to undercut the base Boxster and Corvette. I'm sure the CF tub isn't doing it any favors in the affordability department.

The local Fiat/Alfa dealer had a launch edition that I saw in person and it was beautiful. It was also $78,000.

brian6speed
brian6speed
8/9/15 6:22 a.m.

Alfa must not realize customers don't care about Carbon fiber tubs that make cars more expensive till you get to supercar category.

I'd never buy this car. Porsche Cayman for me.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
8/9/15 6:50 a.m.

I saw one, heavily guarded, at my dealer during the 16k service. Sticker including $2k markup "because they could" was around $76k. I remember the Top Gear review, and someone with one met us at the Tail of the Dragon meet for Fiat's. I would still be tempted, even at that price, if price wasn't a concern for me. (Like independently wealthy, brain surgeon, etc.)

Although if $ was no issue, I'd be looking at Porsche. If not Lamborghini...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/9/15 7:40 a.m.
brian6speed wrote: Alfa must not realize customers don't care about Carbon fiber tubs that make cars more expensive till you get to supercar category. I'd never buy this car. Porsche Cayman for me.

This car isn't directed at "customers". It's directed to wealthy and slightly delusional Alfisti.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/9/15 8:41 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: This is the only real relevance to me: Apparently, by the time this falls into my price range in, say, 2031, the interior will be a jumbled mess of broken plastic and loose wires.

So, on par with my MK IV Golf then.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
8/9/15 9:05 a.m.

I would love to have one but I don't have the wealth to go with the delusion. It's great-looking, technically interesting and delivers high performance (although there have been some gripes about the gearing.) And it's an Alfa. I am sorry to hear that driving it 300 miles to Hallett would be unbearable as it would almost have to be a lot of fun at a track day.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/10/15 11:53 a.m.

I like the idea of using a DIN radio - it makes upgrades and customizing a lot easier. They didn't do a great job of integrating it into the interior, though. Looks like they had been working on some weird proprietary shape, then realized it wouldn't be done in time for the production deadline and grabbed something off the shelf at the last minute.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
8/10/15 12:50 p.m.

soo, you guys are saying this thing is set to depreciate very quickly with fiddly broken interior bits and owners who hardly ever drove the things?

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
8/10/15 3:40 p.m.

We can only hope....

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/10/15 4:03 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Ahh, a fellow optimist!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/10/15 5:04 p.m.

Instead of looking like some slinky Italian supercar, this looks like the Chinese version of an Elise. I'd have to see one in person to know for sure, but from the pics, I like the looks of the Elise better. Sounds like an interesting car, but not a good value.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/15 9:20 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: There is a guy at work that has one. It looks fantastic and sounds vicious.

It does look fantastic and sound vicious. And then you drive it.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
8/12/15 11:58 a.m.

Interestingly enough (to me anyway, These three reviews by people that actuality track race prepared cars regularly are by far the most negative (..IIRC- the ONLY negative) set of reviews of the car I have read (or watched). I feel better about my old unassisted everything Civic!! 43% of the experience at 2% of the cost!

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
8/12/15 1:27 p.m.

Too bad this didn't quite gel.

Anybody in that market might as well spend up $10k-ish and get the Cayman S.

I have spent a lot of time on the track this summer in groups where the "fast" cars are Cayman S, E92/F32 Ms, and C6-C7s. If the drivers are equally skilled, and the tires are all comparable, the Cayman S has the edge.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
8/12/15 1:38 p.m.

Hmmmm....a few thousand more than the Mustang GT350R, another niche car. I'll be interested to hear the comparison.

colinshark
colinshark New Reader
9/26/15 8:10 a.m.

The issues seem appropriate for what it is. Also, I think the issues will fall by the wayside as the decades pass. It will always be an entertaining vehicle.

I'd be in the market if I had the means.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/26/15 11:24 a.m.

The carbon fiber tub over steel should be obvious to anyone who's worked on or driven old Italian cars, or what's left of them. Can't rust if there's nothin to rust...

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
9/26/15 11:35 a.m.

My Boss and I took one out for a spin throughout Austin. Courtesy of Fiat/Alfa of Austin a few weeks ago. It was an amazing little car. We each took turns on the highway and also the back roads/hills of Austin. The shifting was pretty nice, where you can either be on full auto mode, or manual when it senses that you are going to hit it hard. Steering was a little hard during normal driving. The exhaust notes are sweet.. Visibility very poor, but who looks back in these cars..

Do want!

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
9/26/15 12:01 p.m.

First rule of Italian driving: What is behind you doesn't matter, it is too slow anyway.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/26/15 4:36 p.m.

Hmmmmmmmmm, beautiful but impossible to live with long term. Sounds like my last girlfriend. Now if it took all my money away, quite possible because it's italian, that would complete the picture.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/10/16 3:42 p.m.

Like the 4C? Centerline Alfa has posted a couple of videos up on our "Shop Talk" forum. They are worth a look:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/advertiser-playground/alfa-fans-look-inside-4c-videos-from-centerline-international/110360/page1/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/10/16 3:59 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Like the 4C? Centerline Alfa has posted a couple of videos up on our "Shop Talk" forum. They are worth a look: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/advertiser-playground/alfa-fans-look-inside-4c-videos-from-centerline-international/110360/page1/

I want one so badly. I can't think of a new car under $100k I'd have instead.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/10/16 4:09 p.m.

^^ I can understand your car lust. I have a love-hate thing going on with the 4C. The parts I love, I really love. The parts I hate.....well......I'd rather focus on the things I love!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/10/16 4:11 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: ^^ I can understand your car lust. I have a love-hate thing going on with the 4C. The parts I love, I really love. The parts I hate.....well......I'd rather focus on the things I love!

It is just so pretty. I can't think of anything that looks as good new that isn't a massively expensive supercar. So when it does go all Italian, it will still look good sitting in the driveway.

And it sounds perfect.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5DYrrmuay0jsVjxIDFzcoqZPOz5FoSccv3t0xUtVwQfbTXhdnmNPBeBD48Wen1v5