1 2
ezeedee
ezeedee New Reader
7/6/13 9:27 a.m.

Im not looking for a spec miata right off the bat. I'm in the military and stationed in montana, so I have to forecast leave outside the local area, and that could always get denied. Im just looking for something to use for tourist days (or whatever they are called in america) and autocross (there are a few around me every year).

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
7/6/13 1:06 p.m.

My friend hasn't raced his wheel to wheel yet, and he's owned it two years now and just does HPDE. He drives it on the street as well.

If you go to a track, chances are more than likely somebody will have SM parts with them, versus alien turbo monster parts, should something break.

I've run two 13hr events in a SM, and in those 26hrs, all we did to the car was add gas and change the left side tires halfway through. At the end of each race, the pads and rotors needed replacing. Dirt cheap, reliable, well-sorted cars.

ezeedee
ezeedee New Reader
7/6/13 1:17 p.m.

i feel like i would be faking the funk if i, a noob, showed up to the track in a race prepped car. I just want to start with the basics to make it reliable and work from there. and no cage.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
7/6/13 2:40 p.m.

NA FC and when you feel the need you can do ITA/B? .

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
7/6/13 3:57 p.m.
coolusername wrote: e30, i have wrecked enough of them..........

"God's Charriot".... I'm on my 3rd.

Now I'm trying to build a 1st gen Mr2. I can't drink the Miata Kool-aid.. yet!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
7/6/13 4:17 p.m.
ezeedee wrote: In reply to Jaynen: Im not buying another non-track car until i sell the 135 and find an e39 wagon with a 6 cyl and manual.

So what you're really saying is you're not buying a car. Ever.

LanEvo
LanEvo New Reader
7/6/13 4:38 p.m.
ezeedee wrote: I dont want a fast track car

Top of my list would be:

(1) BMW E30 325is with TMS J-Stock suspension, Massive Brakes street kit, 15x8" wheels, and the engine of your choice.

(2) Benz 190E 2.3-16 with Ground Control coilovers, R129 500E brakes, 16x8" wheels, and MegaSquirt conversion.

Adrift
Adrift New Reader
7/6/13 6:08 p.m.
ezeedee wrote: In reply to z31maniac: i have a hard-on for pop up headlights.

Ok, this is a bit off the thread path but how about a C4 Corvette?

My brother and I bought one for HPDE (we don't use as much as we should; not the car's fault). Once we had Turn One rebuild the power steering pump to reduce the flow, it has been extremely reliable. Other than a cracked rotor we've never turned a wrench at an event even with 2 drivers . Drive it to and from. I would check on the roll bar requirement since it is a targa. Not sure if required; ours had one when purchased.

It is not that fast, at least with us in it.

Now depending on budget a C5 is also an option. Can be a bit faster. See the Drove a C5 Z06 thread

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/6/13 6:23 p.m.

Can you give us a total budget that you want to work with? That would make it easier, I think.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
7/6/13 10:34 p.m.

Get a Honda Almost-anything. There isn't a more easily scaled up car around. Start with a Civc with a d15, play until you get bored, swap in a b series etc.

The Honda aftermarket is even bigger than the Miata and they're much better street cars.

This is about 1500 bucks for a nice example, and they handle well stock. 2100 lbs, easy on consumables, bullet proof to hilarious extents and perfectly practical.

As a next step, you can literally bolt in a zc motor and have 140 stock reliable hp in your tiny car. A zc runs about $400 bucks.

Suspension is double a arms all around. Tires are small and cheap. Steering is pure and good.

If you go with a sedan, you won't even look like a ricer.

Or you can be an idiot like me and buy a Daewoo Nubira which will ruin your social life, poison you with various noxious gasses and repel females about as effectively as pooping on the dinner table.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/7/13 6:57 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Having drank the Kool-Aid almost ten years ago on a Spec Miata, I can honestly tell you that it's the way to go. Rotors for $80 for all four, tires for less than $650, and runs on pump gas from what ever Shell station is closest to the track.

You've just described my Spec E30.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
7/7/13 7:33 a.m.
Adrift wrote: Ok, this is a bit off the thread path but how about a C4 Corvette?

I would think the difference in tires costs alone would be significant, but if you want V8 and HP it does seem a fairly solid choice.

ezeedee
ezeedee New Reader
7/7/13 9:32 a.m.

Yeah, im not looking for V8 power. Im not looking to compete against anyone other than myself. as long as i am learning, thats all i care about. consumables on e30s and miatas seem to be pretty similiar, and the e30 has a hard top, back seats, more room, and im already familiar with them, so im leaning pretty strong in that direction right now. Tires alone for the E36, and really anything with 17" tires seems to almost double.

As for a budget... Id like the car to be 5 grand or less, and say 2 grand to get it track reliable (pads/rotors, bushings, fluid flushes... and whatever breaks when im on the track)

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
7/7/13 10:10 a.m.

you can find less than 5 grand "track ready" Hondas all day ... can't remember if you need to DD it

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
7/8/13 9:02 a.m.

Five grand is a concours ready EF.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/8/13 9:34 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: You've just described my Spec E30.

Having now driven a Miata for a short time, my regret over buying an E30 is stronger than ever... what a crappy car to drive compared to a Miata.

I'd offer my E30 to the OP as it's basically track-ready and I'd sell it for far under $5K, but with him being in Montana that's probably not practical...

beans
beans Reader
7/8/13 10:11 a.m.
LanEvo wrote:
ezeedee wrote: I dont want a fast track car
(2) Benz 190E 2.3-16 with Ground Control coilovers, R129 500E brakes, 16x8" wheels, and MegaSquirt conversion.

stop it. stop it now. I'm not sure I can handle that much hotness.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/8/13 12:25 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Or you can be an idiot like me and buy a Daewoo Nubira which will ruin your social life, poison you with various noxious gasses and repel females about as effectively as pooping on the dinner table.

Yep that matches up with my memory of owning a Daewoo.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/8/13 2:57 p.m.

I have never heard of a full cage being required for a convertible for HPDE. Most places it is 4-point or better roll bar that meets the "broomstick" test (some places allow certain decent stock rollbars: Z4, S2000, Boxster). I have heard of others that require a hard top in addition to that. Never of a full cage unless you were seriously competing.

"Miata" is almost certainly the correct answer.

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
7/9/13 11:18 a.m.

At least here in the northeast, its not uncommon for groups to not allow convertibles at all unless they are a fully prepped race car.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/9/13 12:52 p.m.
Grinch337 wrote: At least here in the northeast, its not uncommon for groups to not allow convertibles at all unless they are a fully prepped race car.

And at my home track they will let you take a Miata with no safety equipment and sticky tires out on track.

I would never do it, however.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/9/13 1:00 p.m.

E36 Coupe or Sedan, cheaper than the M3 and normally the ti, or perhaps an E46 323i or such.....those are dropping and the e46 is a great chassis as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KZWHTjFdcHLGKPQlSWP7YfSiO3HOA3VfAmgf11S2z0ldFeWlevxmNeRBHhKIkTDL