4 5 6 7
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/5/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Thank you.

My first attempt at listing a vehicle (motorcycle) did get rejected at BaT, so I'm trying my best to put together a better submission. I'm just my worst critic when it comes to photography and I really want to justify not going for the "pro photographer" option. We'll see how it goes, worst case I can drown an FB for sale group in photos.

CA might be easier that other states as long as a vehicle's registration is current and I dare going on a plane. At least as long as the cars are driving and in good shape, it's only a one way drive.

With the others it's truck and trailer time, and that would be an issue from a time perspective - like a quick 3k mile round trip in a 25 year old Diesel truck. Of course the other concern being that I have to stay somewhere and eat somewhere, which means... ewww, people.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
8/5/20 3:52 p.m.

I love Caterhams (and other modern Lotus 7 clones). Problem is, many clubs around here won't allow you to run a roadster without full cage and hardtop in place. And even with cage and top, they're still kind of a death trap ... especially for a guy my size who can barely squeeze into one. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/5/20 4:11 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

Thank you.

My first attempt at listing a vehicle (motorcycle) did get rejected at BaT, so I'm trying my best to put together a better submission. I'm just my worst critic when it comes to photography and I really want to justify not going for the "pro photographer" option. We'll see how it goes, worst case I can drown an FB for sale group in photos.

CA might be easier that other states as long as a vehicle's registration is current and I dare going on a plane. At least as long as the cars are driving and in good shape, it's only a one way drive.

With the others it's truck and trailer time, and that would be an issue from a time perspective - like a quick 3k mile round trip in a 25 year old Diesel truck. Of course the other concern being that I have to stay somewhere and eat somewhere, which means... ewww, people.

BAT is interesting. I have sold total 17 on there last 40 months or so. 2 cars my friends listed, BAT rejected. SAME cars, I submitted on their behalf, 8 months later, both cars BAT accepted. Thus I am not sure if BAT eases their restrictions for repeat sellers, or somehow "market conditions" changed 8 months later (doubtful). 

If I can be any help in CA, feel free to ask. 

I have been in Skip Cannons 7 (Miata.net guy many people know) more than once. It ain't no EVO. I rather have an EVO that a 7 anyday. 

I am a big Atom guy (after driving/riding in Mr. Woolery's Atom, thats my next one), however its $100K in CA with the SB100 registration, so I have to wait  a while.  Morgan 3 wheeler attracts me (dealer is across streeet from my office). Test drive was fun, but I don't care for the agricultural motor. 

8/5/20 8:21 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Thank you.

BAT is interesting. I have sold total 17 on there last 40 months or so. 2 cars my friends listed, BAT rejected. SAME cars, I submitted on their behalf, 8 months later, both cars BAT accepted. Thus I am not sure if BAT eases their restrictions for repeat sellers, or somehow "market conditions" changed 8 months later (doubtful). 

Well, I jumped over my own shadow, took more photos and just submitted it. Let's see how things go, otherwise it's Cars & Bids, followed by the usual FB groups.

If I can be any help in CA, feel free to ask. 

Thank you, appreciate it!

I have been in Skip Cannons 7 (Miata.net guy many people know) more than once. It ain't no EVO. I rather have an EVO that a 7 anyday. 

I am a big Atom guy (after driving/riding in Mr. Woolery's Atom, thats my next one), however its $100K in CA with the SB100 registration, so I have to wait  a while.  Morgan 3 wheeler attracts me (dealer is across streeet from my office). Test drive was fun, but I don't care for the agricultural motor. 

I do think an Evo would be a better choice than a Seven from a safety aspect. We'll have to see how things go, I've dreamed of owning a proper Seven for quite a while, but I can't justify it even to myself - let alone to my wife - if I can't or don't dare to track it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/5/20 8:23 p.m.

Good luck, my friend!!! 

8/6/20 2:25 p.m.

Thanks, it's looking better than the motorcycle, at least now they're asking if I would consider listing it without a reserve.

On an entirely different note, what do we think about C6 Corvettes as track cars? I found a couple of sub-20k ones not too far away. Base models obviously, but cheaper than a C5 Z06.

Another alternative would be a late C4, there are a few around as well and they're cheap enough so I could keep my powder dry for when the right Maxton or Caterham comes along.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/6/20 3:10 p.m.

(not a GM guy), but the C6 Vettes are a great bargain. Usually owned by a certain demographic, thus you can easily find super clean, non abused, stock ones. For the $, hard to go wrong with one. Just not my cup of tea.

8/6/20 3:18 p.m.

Well, I'd definitely like my cars a bit smaller but due to the different demographics (as you mentioned), it seems to be easier to find pretty clean examples. You know, as opposed to Evos that are proudly advertised with photos of engine blocks with non-standard 'vent to atmosphere' features. Heck, there is a C5 Z06 for sale not far away that has less than 10k miles on it(!) and it doesn't look like 10k track miles, either.

I've had a C6 has a rental car before and I seem to remember it felt a bit smaller than the C5 I drove before buying the S2k. Plus we owned a C4 for a few years before a shop's attempt at fixing some coolant issues led to fried head gaskets. So despite a complete absence of gold chains and chest wigs, I do kinda like them. But as Ettore Bugatti said about Blower Bentleys, they do fall into the category of "very fast lorry/truck".

But wouldn't you know it, I just got an email that one of the purveyors of JDM imports has a new arrival in the form of an Evo III RS. I'll probably have to get in touch with them, and most likely fairly quickly, too.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/6/20 4:15 p.m.

I think you just want to make sure the ls3 stays oiled, maybe an accusump. I would say go for it, except a base model c5 may not be a bad starting point either and leave more pocket coin for improvements.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/6/20 4:41 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Evo III RS will be awesome. Too bad for me, unless I want to illegally rock a SD or MT plate, its a no go for me. I will be jealous of yours! :)

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/7/20 9:05 a.m.

EVO III RS doesn't seem to have much of a counterpoint. That would be so awesome on so many levels and I can't see it being a poor investment in the long run.

8/7/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to white_fly :

We'll see. I already heard back from the dealer and we're trying to set up a call later today where they can go into more detail about the car.

It's a bit of a "bitsa" in the sense that the engine has been rebuilt in Japan with the good parts from a bunch of Evo generations, but it is looking rather promising. Plus it looks like whoever had it in Japan used it for Touge or track work, so it's not like I'd be "destroying" a pristine original car.

I'm actually rather excited in a reasonably restrained way about this car.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/7/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to white_fly :

We'll see. I already heard back from the dealer and we're trying to set up a call later today where they can go into more detail about the car.

It's a bit of a "bitsa" in the sense that the engine has been rebuilt in Japan with the good parts from a bunch of Evo generations, but it is looking rather promising. Plus it looks like whoever had it in Japan used it for Touge or track work, so it's not like I'd be "destroying" a pristine original car.

I'm actually rather excited in a reasonably restrained way about this car.

If it’s the one I’m thinking it is, that looks like a lot of fun.  Didn’t realize that generation was so light.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/7/20 10:03 a.m.

It is hard to keep up with eastsidetim vs boxheadtim! Man I need my glasses

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/7/20 1:55 p.m.

That basically seems like a best case scenario to me and I still think it'll be a good medium term investment. Someone collecting EVO's is probably less concerned about originality than many other collectors.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 2:16 p.m.

From what I've read from others on here, the C5 seems less problematic/holds up better to track use than the C6.

I wouldn't recommend a C4 at all though. The later ones were decent cars, but an early base C5 will probably be cheaper & have less issues, and possibly faster stock vs. stock. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/7/20 3:12 p.m.

The Evo 3 RS is a decent example. I'd want to go through it as it does have signs of potential heavy use. Rebuilt motor, Seats, etc. At least the chassis looks good. I wonder if the transmission is in good shape. 

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
8/8/20 7:45 p.m.

Look for rust under the roof where it meets the lateral rails. Common rust trap. 

8/11/20 6:55 a.m.

Gah, another foot issue flaring up means I can't wear shoes for long enough to travel to look at the Evo. I'm also a bit concerned about availability of consumables (although I do realise that a lot of the parts are shared with DSMs).

BaT also says they'll only agree to listing my S2k if I am willing to list it without reserve. Do I gamble on potentially taking a bath, or do I try out Cars and Bids in the hope that I won't run into the same issue over there?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/11/20 8:07 a.m.

I'd be very weary of the S2k/no reserve unless it's a really pristine example that should pull a premium regardless of selling venue.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/11/20 9:35 a.m.

Tim, 

my 3rd recent BAT just sold last Thursday. 

Truck picking up tmrw. I do ALL no reserve. I got $5,100 more than market on this car. Bidding war on end as usual. Funny thing is buyer flew in and paid me yesterday, and is having horseless carriage pick it up. Told me on phone , in front of his wife not to count cash out loud, as he told his wife, he actually only paid 50% of what he actually paid for car ! LOL 

guy has 11 cars. Nothing Japanese. Said bought mine on whim. Knows nothing about model. Asked questions in person as if didn't even read BAT ad. 

I used to be wary of "no reserve" 4 years ago when I started selling, since then I realized as long as the car is clean and desirable you will get the market price there. There are hardly any "deals," there for buyers . 

example: A type R worth 45k, whether it's reserve or not doesn't matter. No one will come and suddenly get it for 20k 

anyways, I do no reserve And have been extremely happy and it's been very profitable for me.

Since Corona my ROI on cars is through the roof. People taking out HELOC and buying toys. Figured since I don't qualify for any govt stimulus, this is my way of taking other people's stimulus money. 

I am picking up two cars end of the week. One picked up in Atlanta and one local, both going straight to BAT as no reserve flips. 

good luck 

8/11/20 11:36 a.m.

I see your point. I guess I can use a no-reserve auction figure out how much of a "shrewd negotiator" I was when buying the car by how big a bath I end up taking. This is definitely one of the cars where I'm going to lose money based on the amount of effort I've put in (plus as usual, I probably overpaid for it a bit when buying it).

In your current experience, how long does it usually take the BaT folks to turn around from accepting a car to it actually showing up on the site?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/11/20 11:55 a.m.

Why not put it on eBay first?

Share the auction link around here and see if you can get your reserve before you go with BaT.

8/11/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

IIRC BaT takes issue with putting cars on there that have been advertised elsewhere before they're on BaT.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to do a no reserve auction or re-submit to Cars & Bids instead.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/11/20 2:34 p.m.

I see your point. I guess I can use a no-reserve auction figure out how much of a "shrewd negotiator" I was when buying the car by how big a bath I end up taking. This is definitely one of the cars where I'm going to lose money based on the amount of effort I've put in (plus as usual, I probably overpaid for it a bit when buying it).

In your current experience, how long does it usually take the BaT folks to turn around from accepting a car to it actually showing up on the site?

I have no skin in the game. I was just sharing my experience 

my cars make it to BAT between 3- 4 weeks from listing on average. Depending on what competitive models there is - they at times move it around 

good luck 

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
myKqNJQ8YrLOwCc7NLVxrLFau7jJUd2Efg39O0gmKU2E1CYOeQbAXVnx9oFZM5Yz