sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/14/21 12:28 p.m.

I'm trying to powder coat a couple of RX8 calipers before they go onto the S2000, and this would be my first time messing with any parking brake disassembly.  Does anyone have tips for getting something like this apart and back together again?

RX8 Rear Brake Caliper LHS

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/14/21 12:54 p.m.

If its anything like a Miata or Protege rear caliper there is an o-ring in there that is a total pita. Make sure you have replacements as it was hard to source. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
3/14/21 3:18 p.m.

If the piston screws in and out to activate the brake,  by a replacement and powder coat it. Retracting the piston is a pita, at least every one I ever did was.  

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/14/21 7:42 p.m.

In reply to drock25too :

These are reman calipers, but they still have to be disassembled for powder coating. None of the o-rings or seals will endure the cure temperature and still be viable afterwards.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/14/21 8:19 p.m.

I just rebuilt the rear calipers on my Miata today. After watching some videos it really wasn't bad, just messy. Mazda Motorsports sold me a kit that had all the required seals and rubber bits for both rear calipers, highly recommended. The auto-adjusting screw was held into the caliper with a snap ring that was impossible to reach with snap ring pliers, it took two dental picks and a lot of patience to get it out and then back in.

I was actually deleting the parking brake (because race car), but these instructions were very helpful.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/brakes/mazda-miata-e-brake-removal/

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/14/21 9:41 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

That's awesome!  Good to know that there probably isn't a gnarly spring in there that will be fighting snap ring installation.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/21/21 1:16 p.m.

So, the process of trying to pick out the snap rings sucked, so I did some searching and found a set of snap ring pliers meant for just this sort of thing...

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/21/21 1:34 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

If its anything like a Miata or Protege rear caliper there is an o-ring in there that is a total pita. Make sure you have replacements as it was hard to source. 

QFT. 

Rear brakes on BG chassis may be the most difficult thing workwise on them. Everything about them is easy to work on, except for rear brakes which are nightmarish. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/21/21 4:42 p.m.

Parking brakes on more that a few rear disc brake vehicles can be troublesome. Nissan, for one, used a mini drum parking brake lashed on to their rear disk brake offerings. This never made much sense to me. Then there were the early to mid '80s higher performance Camero/Firebird PBs that were truly idiotic.

Anyway, it looks like you're on the right track with those snap ring pliers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lNIuoq9umTDrNJWNwY5uj7TXmYpPXuKXGT5znAUz9J2QMs4uhJnCxcUn9nzDBj20